Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

army combatives?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mightymike2000ss
hey guys my name is mike im proud to say i will be leaving for basic on January 6th of 2010. but what i am a little curious on is my M.O.S is a 91L (construction equipment repairer). i would like to know if i will be aloud to take the combatives. i figured it would help me out in the long run.
Mike - sounds like you will likely be going to an engineer unit. Engineers, inmy experience with them, are notorious for combatives training. I went through Sapper Leader Course in March 2006, and they put us through 40 hours of combatives and certified us as level I instructors. Their combatives training was more in depth and difficult than the combatives training I went through in Ranger school and even when the L.I.N.E. instructor came to my BCT.

When you get to your unit let your section leader know that you are interested in attending a combatives course, but be prepared to get shot down. These courses are intended for (generally) leaders, E5 and above. Personnaly, as a commander, I wouldn't send a junior Soldier, I'd send a high speed, proven NCO, but that is how many of us see it.

Also, depending on where you get stationed, there may likely be a martial arts club or classes on your post. You may have to pay for these classes, or they may be free, it depends.

Good luck and have fun in basic.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

thanks man for the input, its worth a try. i just currently started doing yoga for proper stretching hopefully they will allow me to do combatives further down the road if not right off the back...
Old 11-15-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mightymike2000ss
hey guys my name is mike im proud to say i will be leaving for basic on January 6th of 2010. but what i am a little curious on is my M.O.S is a 91L (construction equipment repairer). i would like to know if i will be aloud to take the combatives. i figured it would help me out in the long run.
all incoming soldiers go through MAC-P level 1 now but they dont get certified yet.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jperran
LINE was way better for sure. You aren't going to end a true hand to hand fight in a warzone with an armbar. If you are in a situation where you are fist fighting your enemy, you aren't leaving until hes dead.

When the Air Force first started building their combatives program (I believe they are doing it in the new 8 week basic), they had a conference that they invited some JTACs too. All the CCT/TACP/PJ guys were trying to convince a room full of regular Air Force desk pilots to go with LINE, they were told that LINE is TOO ******* VIOLENT.

So is a goddamn fist fight to the death, go blue
most people dont use line because you cant scale the force you use in training. For example in tan belt of MCMAP they teach you the eye gouge. how do you properly show someone the eye gouge when you cant teach it to someone but only once before you cant use them to train. secondly MAC-P starts off with ground fighting because it is the easiest to teach and learn. as you go on and get certified through the other levels they teach you more things. I can honestly say that since i help out teaching with my unit combatives instructors i have learned alot of stuff. you guys have to remember the army does the crawl, walk, run teaching process so once you get through the "boring" stuff first.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Daredevil_TA
Plus they use it in competitions as a sport. How is that supposed to be used as a survival tool?
look at the navy's boxing program its a competition. Look at russian army's combatives sambo its a competition. Look at tae kwon do in Korea, its a competition. they use it as a competition because people want to be the best. how do you become the best? you know more about it than your opponent. whats the purpose of the combatives program for the army? to give everyone a basic understanding of the combatives program.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Teching In

MACP is a great learing tool. I just finished Level 3 @ Benning and have never been so sore in my life, despite years with the 101st. Levels 1 & 2 are kinda boring, but 3 is where it gets interesting.

Good instructors will make you apply combatives (EPW? TTP/TCP duty?, QRF for a friendly village?) with scenarios you might end up in.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Teching In

I just think that the Army would be better of having soldiers spend more time at the range and less in the combatives gym. Not that knowing how to handle your self in h2h is a bad idea it is just some units I have seen waste a little to much time with it. I also dont think the Army's program is the right one for actual combat atleast the way it is taught. My .02

Quick Reply: army combatives?