Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

army combatives?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default army combatives?

hey guys my name is mike im proud to say i will be leaving for basic on January 6th of 2010. but what i am a little curious on is my M.O.S is a 91L (construction equipment repairer). i would like to know if i will be aloud to take the combatives. i figured it would help me out in the long run.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

its probely going to depend on your unit. If there is enough manning to allow you to do the course etc. Some of the levels of combatives are not short classes. There is a good chance the fort you are at will have people certified to teach level 1 or 2.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Banned

Level 1 is all of 5 days long, if your unit will let you out of work for that long Im sure your base has classes.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Banned

My unit is huge on sending people to combatives, and we are a signal unit.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:29 AM
Teching In

Like others have said it will be up to your unit. But to tell you the truth I dont feel that the army combatives is that great of a program. Granted I havent had all that much training in it because we kind of do our own thing where I am at but the training I have had while fun to do and good if you do end up on the ground in the long run I think anyone who in a combat situation chooses to take the fight to the ground is not to bright.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Its better than MCMAP!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

i like the idea that they start the trainging from the ground then progress up from there. I only had a day of combatives and was going to be stuck at ft mccoy for a week so was going to go through level one. Then my date to leave for Afghan got pushed up so didnt get to do it
Old 09-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01turdbird
Like others have said it will be up to your unit. But to tell you the truth I dont feel that the army combatives is that great of a program. Granted I havent had all that much training in it because we kind of do our own thing where I am at but the training I have had while fun to do and good if you do end up on the ground in the long run I think anyone who in a combat situation chooses to take the fight to the ground is not to bright.
LINE was way better for sure. You aren't going to end a true hand to hand fight in a warzone with an armbar. If you are in a situation where you are fist fighting your enemy, you aren't leaving until hes dead.

When the Air Force first started building their combatives program (I believe they are doing it in the new 8 week basic), they had a conference that they invited some JTACs too. All the CCT/TACP/PJ guys were trying to convince a room full of regular Air Force desk pilots to go with LINE, they were told that LINE is TOO ******* VIOLENT.

So is a goddamn fist fight to the death, go blue
Old 09-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Banned

level 1 and 2 are pretty easy to. when you get to your permanent station keep bugging your squad leader and platoon sergeant about it.. you'll get it eventually. if not just go off post and find a fight house... you'll learn a LOT more about fighting there then you will thru the army combatives program, especially since the majority of the people in level 1 and 2 are forced to go to the class and don't want to be there anyway.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Id have to agree-I never got too excited about army combatives because it didnt look very effective to me in a combat situation-more like MMA than survival. Plus they use it in competitions as a sport. How is that supposed to be used as a survival tool? I know levels 1 and 2 are kind of mild an 3 is where alot of the fighting is but still. Look at Krav Maga-its what the IDF uses an that **** is not used for sport it is meant to hurt and kill people...very effective in my book
Old 09-30-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

army combatives are pretty gay the promotion points are nice though plus if u do to much of it they could send u to the school house f' that just check around off post theres atleast 3 places i can think of around bragg
Old 10-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
i like the idea that they start the trainging from the ground then progress up from there. I only had a day of combatives and was going to be stuck at ft mccoy for a week so was going to go through level one. Then my date to leave for Afghan got pushed up so didnt get to do it
I have never understood why they start at the ground. The ground is the last place that I would want to be in a real combat h2h situation so why should your training focus on that. If you are rolling around on the ground with some jihadist the one who will win is the one who's buddies show up first. The point is to kill him as fast as possible so you can deal with the next threat not waste time getting him in an armbar.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

well i've been boxing since the 7th grade so i just figured it would better for me in the long run on ranking up
Old 10-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Default level I in BCT

depending on how lucky you get you may be level I certified at basic. 90 percent of privates receive all the level I instruction now. But only 10 or so per platoon get selected to do the clinch/"punch" drill during blue phase. They are the only ones that will receive a level I certificate. At Knox they normally pick the privates that have pt scores above 270 and volunteer to go through the clinch drill.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cbailey
Its better than MCMAP!
MCMAP was focused to the current missions we all serve in, and killing someone isn't always needed. It is however able to be expanded upon and does include many moves where you can kill someone, so MCMAP teaches both.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Teching In

91L? When did they change that around?. I just went a year and a 1/2 ago and it was a 62B.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kapke13
91L? When did they change that around?. I just went a year and a 1/2 ago and it was a 62B.
that JUST went into effect this month they changed alot of the MOS's, mine included, i was a 63B before now im considered a 91B
Old 10-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pewterls1incincy
depending on how lucky you get you may be level I certified at basic. 90 percent of privates receive all the level I instruction now. But only 10 or so per platoon get selected to do the clinch/"punch" drill during blue phase. They are the only ones that will receive a level I certificate. At Knox they normally pick the privates that have pt scores above 270 and volunteer to go through the clinch drill.
ya what he ^ said

I went through BCT at Ft. Jackson and we all got taught level 1 combatives, though i didn't certify with the clinch drill, we had 8 per plattoon and it was people who won during the company combatives competition and vollenteers who wanted to get the hell beat out of them haha. depending on the company and where u go to BCT depends on the amount of combatives training you'll get, i did combatives every saturday for like 6 hrs straight all the way through bct, and then like week 8 was nothing but MAC (modern army combatives) training, it just depends...
Old 10-27-2009, 03:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GTO JIMMY
My unit is huge on sending people to combatives, and we are a signal unit.

What signal unit are you in? I am with 1st cav DSTB

on the combatives if you wind up going to FT BENNING you will get level one certified in basic.

If you go to ft jackson you will just get a crash course in combatives because they dont do alot of it due to lots of injuries.

It is very easy to get hurt in combatives because you have people that think they know some cool **** but its just enuf to get themselfs hurt or hurt someone else due to not knowing how to roll.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Formerly 99-2door-08/30/2010

I thought everybody got combatives training at AIT, maybe that was just us. Our 1SG was all about combatives though.

Quick Reply: army combatives?