Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

newbie to the navy

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie to the navy

i joining the navy, but i was a little concerned about iraq. i just want to know what to expect. i dont believe its as dangerous as the media makes it out to be. and im not a ***** i just dont like surpise either especially when its dealing with life or death. plz help me out with the bad and good points about it if i go. my recruiter told me that it depends on the job im doing but even at that its a 40% chance i'll go. i dont wana go but if i have to go then i got to do what i got to do. any answer will be appreciated but plz be as serious as possible. thanks

Last edited by Kev_n; 11-20-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: to make it idiot proof
Old 11-19-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot more sailors than ever going to Iraq or more likely Afghanistan now. They are dangerous places. But that is part of the job (risk) you take. Your recruiter is right, some job fields there is a higher chance of going into harms way. Some ratings it's nearly 100%, other more sea intensive rates it's a lot less.

IMO, pick a job that is going to do the most for you and your future. Let the rest of it work it self out. If you get the call to do a tour in Afgan or Iraq, do it with pride.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like the above post said alot depends on your job. I am currently in Afghainistain now and the few navy guys i've seen pretty much just sit on the FOB. The only navy guys i've seen go out were the dog handlers. All you have to really worry about the FOB is the occasional incoming.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kev_n
i joining the navy for many different reason but one reason hands down is so i could afford an ls1( perferable t/a) but i was a little concerned about iraq. i just want to know what to expect. i dont believe its as dangerous as the media makes it out to be. and im not a ***** i just dont like surpise either especially when its dealing with life or death. plz help me out with the bad and good points about it if i go. my recruiter told me that it depends on the job im doing but even at that its a 40% chance i'll go. i dont wana go but if i have to go then i got to do what i got to do. any answer will be appreciated but plz be as serious as possible. thanks

ok dude, joining the navy is the stupidest way to go about getting an ls1. u will start off as a seaman recruit more than likely, and you willl make about 12k a year. thats not even enough to save up for an fbody, not to mention no one likes giving big loans to E1's. plus the navy blows. do ure self a favor and get a real job. one that can get u into an ls1 car. the navy is a huge comitment. dont throw your life away for a car.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's nothing wrong with the Navy. Even if your an E-1 like mentioned earlier, you'll pick up rank fast, well, up to a point. I've deployed several times to both places and loved my experiences at both places. We all join for different reasons, and joining so you can get a car isn't a bad reason. At least it wasn't for a girl. Also, if you do go to a combat zone, you'll be getting tax free money which will help get you into that car quicker. Just do me a favor and spell check your posts after you type them. Also, if you end up getting overseas and decide unlike the 90% of the people on that base, you actually want to leave the wire and cause hate and discontent, there are jobs in the navy that will let you do that.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
ok dude, joining the navy is the stupidest way to go about getting an ls1. u will start off as a seaman recruit more than likely, and you willl make about 12k a year. thats not even enough to save up for an fbody, not to mention no one likes giving big loans to E1's. plus the navy blows. do ure self a favor and get a real job. one that can get u into an ls1 car. the navy is a huge comitment. dont throw your life away for a car.
ok "dude".1) before you comment with criticizism, read with understanding, i didnt say that was the sole reason for joining the navy. i sound that would be one of the reason. i could afford an ls1. im not going to put my life on the line for no damn car. getting an ls1 on is a upside to doing it.

2) did it cross your mind that maybe he is doing it tomake a better life for him and his family.

3) thats not even what the damn thread is about. my question wasnst"oh since im joining the navy what f-body should i got?" my question is how is it in iraq? read with understanding next time. good day sir
Old 11-20-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok "dude".1) before you comment with criticizism, read with understanding, i didnt say that was the sole reason for joining the navy. i sound that would be one of the reason. i could afford an ls1. im not going to put my life on the line for no damn car. getting an ls1 on is a upside to doing it.

2) did it cross your mind that maybe he is doing it tomake a better life for him and his family.

3) thats not even what the damn thread is about. my question wasnst"oh since im joining the navy what f-body should i got?" my question is how is it in iraq? read with understanding next time. good day sir
ok well navy pay will not get u into a car like that. at least not for a couple years. the system go's like this-e1 for 9 months, e2 for nine months, and e3 for 6 months. then u can be an e4 and make ok money, but there is no gaurentee your gonna pick up pettyofficer 3rd class. infact there are so many people that never make it past E3. and as far as doing something good for your family, the navy has a very high divorce rate, infact almost everyone i ever knew in the navy got divorced. dont just listen to everyone on here that loves the navy, cause half the people that join dont like it. but if u must be a sailor pick a rate with good advancment. information tech is a good one.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and on another note, ive never been to irag but i did spend 4 months in the gulf on an aircraft carrier and its no good at all. its about 125 degrees and its nothing but dust. im sure going to irag isent a good life. people do die over there.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just my view of course, but whenever someone asks me "Well what if you deploy?", There is no what if. I PLAN to deploy. Why the hell would you join if you dont plan to deploy overseas? Again just my views but Id much rather have someone who is doing it for reasons such as actually wanting to serve and help my country next to my side instead of someone who is there for a job.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

I joined in February and Ive been in school the whole time with another year and a half to go. My rate is an Electronics Technician. Its automatic advancement up to E4 with a 10g signing bonus. Im going to graduate C school being a few basic college courses away from a Bachelors degree and get paid to do it. Im pretty sure nowhere else in the world gives you the opportunity to do that.

As for the deployments, I cant wait to go on one. My roommate up here has been in the Navy 10 years and he said thats one of the best times in your life(going on a deployment). If youre computer savvy and good at math, get a good score on your ASVAB so you can get a technical rate. Makes your chances much less to go overseas to Afghanistan or Iraq. After talking to all the instructors in my school(a bunch of ET1s and ET2s), all they do in the fleet is sit around and play XBox then go into ports and get wasted. But if youre not a tech rate, youre going to do a little bit of work.

Depending on how long you want your first enlistment to be also will determine how long youre actually on a ship or how long youre in school. My first enlistment is 6 years but I can only get 4 max years to spend eligible for the fleet. But if youre say......a Boatswain's Mate, youll go to school for like 4 months then youre out to the fleet.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

And dont join the navy for a car, youll only be disappointed when it has to be in storage for 8 months at a time on jackstands because you arent around to drive it. My 94 is back in Dallas at Late Model Performance. Every time I get paid I get Daniel to do more work to it. I would take that route over trying to save for a nice LS1 F-Body(8gs minimum for one thats not completely ragged out and shitty).
Old 11-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Teching In

for the people who dont understand the question at hand.the question is how dangerous is it in iraq. i dont car to here **** about no ******* car. i said that would be an upside to joining the navy. could i please hear from people who are actually over there or who have been.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Teching In

ok well navy pay will not get u into a car like that. at least not for a couple years. the system go's like this-e1 for 9 months, e2 for nine months, and e3 for 6 months. then u can be an e4 and make ok money, but there is no gaurentee your gonna pick up pettyofficer 3rd class. infact there are so many people that never make it past E3. and as far as doing something good for your family, the navy has a very high divorce rate, infact almost everyone i ever knew in the navy got divorced. dont just listen to everyone on here that loves the navy, cause half the people that join dont like it. but if u must be a sailor pick a rate with good advancment. information tech is a good one.
do you have something to say about iraq?
Old 11-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BSmiff
And dont join the navy for a car, youll only be disappointed when it has to be in storage for 8 months at a time on jackstands because you arent around to drive it. My 94 is back in Dallas at Late Model Performance. Every time I get paid I get Daniel to do more work to it. I would take that route over trying to save for a nice LS1 F-Body(8gs minimum for one thats not completely ragged out and shitty).
not joining for a car, read with understanding sir
Old 11-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Teching In

like dude you are starting to **** me off, im not married and i dont have any kids. so does it really sound like i care what the divorce rate is? by family couldn't i have meant like my mom and lil brother and sister. quit assuming **** plz. reread my question
Old 11-20-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

like dude you are starting to **** me off, im not married and i dont have any kids. so does it really sound like i care what the divorce rate is? by family couldn't i have meant like my mom and lil brother and sister. quit assuming **** plz. reread my question
Like someone said earlier, theres always a risk. Some jobs have less risk.
Just my opinion here, but it seems that a lot of people were taking your post as youre joining because you want a car. I would either delete that or put why else you want to join if its starting to irritate you, because the way I read it was that you want to join for just a job to get an LS1.

Again if you are against deployment then whats the point of joining?
Old 11-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Shamson5.7
Like someone said earlier, theres always a risk. Some jobs have less risk.
Just my opinion here, but it seems that a lot of people were taking your post as youre joining because you want a car. I would either delete that or put why else you want to join if its starting to irritate you, because the way I read it was that you want to join for just a job to get an LS1.

Again if you are against deployment then whats the point of joining?
and just how did you come to that conclusion beause i put hands down this opportunity will help me get an ls1. the rest of the thread is about how things are in iraq. i didnt say that i was scared of going or i didnt want to go. is it my first choice to go no. but will i go without whining and crying?yes. i just know that its about a 50/50 chance of going and im trying to get some infor. about being over there so i will know if i go what to kinda expect. thats why i keep telling everyone read with understanding. if you read the post correctly then there is no way in hell you would get im just going for a car.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Teching In

i joining the navy, but i was a little concerned about iraq. i just want to know what to expect. i dont believe its as dangerous as the media makes it out to be. and im not a ***** i just dont like surpise either especially when its dealing with life or death. plz help me out with the bad and good points about it if i go. my recruiter told me that it depends on the job im doing but even at that its a 40% chance i'll go. i dont wana go but if i have to go then i got to do what i got to do. any answer will be appreciated but plz be as serious as possible. thanks
now its idiot proof. could i plz get some respones abou how it is over there.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do you have something to say about iraq?
ok here is something about iraq, it ******* sucks. it is a warzone. what do u think its like. and ya as far as a car go's you will never afford a nice ls1 on E1 pay. so there ya go, iraq sucks and u wont be able to get the car either.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and just how did you come to that conclusion beause i put hands down this opportunity will help me get an ls1.
Because you said exactly that in your first sentence. Just calling it as I see it man, not trying to give you any flack.

Quick Reply: newbie to the navy