Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Virginia car inspections and testing

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 02:20 PM
EW1
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virginia car inspections and testing

I am looking into going to Norfolk, Va for my next duty station and wanted to know the deal on Smog, safety, and other vehicle inspections they do over there. Can someone give me the lowdown?

Also my camaro is registered in Florida. Does being registered in Florida, delete the requirement to get inspected in Virginia?
Old 10-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Launching!

for god sakes, leave it registered in FL. VA has a visual safety inspection AND smog. You can beat the smog test if you program the OBDII, but the inspector can and will fail you if he see's any visual changes to the exhaust, such as headers, etc....

VA safety inspections will also fail you for most performance mods. At the minimum, leave the car registered in FL so you don't have to install a front plate!
Old 10-08-2009, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Definately or however you spell it leave it in FL, and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE,re-think your duty assignment. There is nothing appealing about this state, bases, people (civillian and mil) ,traffic,roads,law enforcement, stupid laws. ETC...
Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cbailey
Definately or however you spell it leave it in FL, and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE,re-think your duty assignment. There is nothing appealing about this state, bases, people (civillian and mil) ,traffic,roads,law enforcement, stupid laws. ETC...
I didn't want to be that disrespectful to my home state, but this is exactly what I was thinking as well. (with the exception of NAS Oceana. I love that place)

Virginia was instrumental in colonial America and during the revolutionary war, and they have pretty much sucked ***** since then. I was born and raised in Virginia, and I left the day I turned 18.

Be sure to keep your Florida residency as well. VA has high state income tax, and FL has 0 income tax.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:50 AM
EW1
Launching!

I plan on leaving my vehicle registered in FL.

Correct me if I am wrong, from your answers, even though my car is registered out of state, I still have to get a safety and smog inspection.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Nope, nothing at all, just keep it registered in FL and your good. Mine is registered in GA, and I love it. No inspections, no front license plate, no smog test. FL should have a Military clause, saying as long as you can prove that you are stationed here you should be able to mail it in, and still be excused from any of Fl's regs.

For L T, I will retract my last statement, and add to it. The HAMPTON ROADS area, except for Oceana and that little bitty base on the beach near it (wife is at Oceana[and god did I hate living near there,18's flying wheels down 500 ft off the ground 24/7]) no-one should WANT to come here.

Last edited by cbailey; 10-09-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:28 AM
EW1
Launching!

Good to here, now I will order my LT, remove the AIR and EGR systems.
Thanks.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

ive been in nc for two over two years with my registered in fl and i havnt had to get any nc inspections. and claiming fl is always nice no state taxes as had been stated before.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last time I had a vehicle registered in VA there were just visual inspections. That was about 5 years ago.

As for VA sucking, I grew up there and moved unwillingly. I have tons of friends there and there is always a bunch of fun **** to do when you have friends. The thing that does suck is the traffic.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Teching In

haha wow! Im stationed at Langley, VA right now, well not right now, Im deployed. But for the OP all the cars I had there have been registered in VA, includins 98 Z28, 02 GT, and now my TBSS. I have never had to do a smog test in 3 years. Its all visual inspections. I never had cats on my cars and I have never had a problem passing an inspection. And as far as the area, both me and my wife love it. There is tons to do escpecially where you will be in Norfolk/VA Beach. The only thing that does suck is the traffic.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:13 AM
Banned

This is a good thread. i just got orders to Quantico. with all the mods done and those that will be done before arriving in VA i was worrying i might have some trouble. I have no plans on registering my car in VA, i am from FL and the car will stay registered there. What is everyone's opinion about the Quantico area?
Old 11-01-2009, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

Ive been there once, close to DC, but its also out in the middle of the woods, it has its own little bitty town/strip on base, awesome scenery. Quantico is an awesome area, dunno about actual life there, but passing through, it really impressed me. Lots of history there and a bunch of like broken down abrams everywhere.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Banned

Anyone have info on Quantico? I will be there in February, never been there before.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

I am in the HR area now, stationed at Fort Eustis, and just had my LT1 inspected and the LS1 I just bought was inspected. Both have mods on them. LT1 has headders w/ smog still on, deleating now to do more mods, and a cutout after the cat. The LS1 has the SLP bullet and duals on the underside and no muff. Both were only visualy inspected and both passed. Both were inspected on a post/base of some sort so that may have helped. I would say try to keep it registered out of state as long as you can, cuz not only will you have to pay the DMV fees, you will also have to pay the property tax.

Also, the I-64 and I-664 traffic does suck something fierce. Summertime is the worse, beach goers from everywhere. AND that tunnel and bridge... Ill let you discover that one on your own.

Other that that, there is a fairly good Fbody comunity here, I am a member now, good group of guys and gals. Hit me up with a PM if you want the club site. Not sure of the rules for advertising club site on here.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Banned

ya man send me the site. do i have to do anything with my car to get a base decal? i plan on keeping it registered in FL the rest of my life HAHA.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

www.hrfbody.com is the site for those that want it. We are kind of slow on shows and get togethers atm, due to the season and winter coming, but we still find things to do. The guys on the south side usually go to Jenros on Sat, us guys on north side usually do Hardees in Hampton on Sat, then we have a Quaker Steak and Shake that has a all car cruise in on Sundays. Other times we do meets & eats once a month at a place we all agree on. Next season, a few of us are planning to do a meet at the local Richmond Drag way one day. They hold street race nights on Fridays in Richmond for test and tune. We also have a club sponsored car show we do, planning to do 2 next year, last one was a blast.

For the base sticker, if you have one on it now from another base, you fine. Check with your base when you inprocess, they will have the requirements for you. Most just need registration, insurance, drivers lic, and military ID to get new stickers.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Banned

how are the cops with out of state cars? my car is kinda loud and will be cammed when i get to Quantico. should i play it safe in VA?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

What I have seen here, they are not too bad on the out of state cars. I have heard from some other out of state owners that they have been pulled over before for not having a front tag, but they cant do anything about that if the car is registered in another state and it dosent require a front tag. I would say just take it easy when you get here, learn the traffic ways, because in virginia, they drive like hell. I have gone 10 years without any accedents and living in 2 diffrent states, and when I got to virginia, I was backed into and rear ended within 3 weeks of getting here. Kinda like they were welcoming me to virginia. So watch out for thoes drivers. They also tailgate like they are in the Daytona 500 on the highways. Also, learn where the cops like to sit for thier speed traps. When you get your rought down that you are taking daily to and from work, pay attention to where they like to sit, and where you see them at when they pull someone over. That will help you know where you can open it up, and where you have to let off. Also, learn where the backups and traffic is at, that will help you also. Not too sure how it will be in your area, but on the north side of Hampton Roads, traffic will back up quickly, so I had to learn when its at its worst, and if I need to, how to bypass it.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:36 AM
Banned

OK well i will most likely live on base since im a single Sgt. I have a good friend in Chantilly that i will visit regularly. I have a radar detector and ya i know there not allowed in VA. OK well i have base stickers from my last command so i hope its just a simple swap to new base decal. VA i hope turns out to be a good duty station and car hangout.

Quick Reply: Virginia car inspections and testing