Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Has anyone done OCS for marines?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone done OCS for marines?

I have an interview with a captain next week, but wanted to learn more about the training and what goes on from someone who has actually gone through the process. The website just seems to go in a small circle, ending with "go talk to your recruiter"
Old 10-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Launching!

I went in 2004. I'm a captain now. Are you trying to be a ground pounder or a pilot?

What do you want to know exactly? You need to be in good shape, and be able to run alot. Be prepared to not get much sleep, and get yelled at alot.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the reply. I'm just sort of wondering how the whole system works with school? From what I was told (I think) I still go to school and go to training during the winters and summers? Then when I graduate I become a commissioned officer?
Old 10-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hlaalu
Thanks for the reply. I'm just sort of wondering how the whole system works with school? From what I was told (I think) I still go to school and go to training during the winters and summers? Then when I graduate I become a commissioned officer?
Thats what I did.

Are you still in college? What year are you? I signed the dotted line during my freshman year of college. I went to OCS for 6 weeks during the summer between my freshman and sophmore year. I went back to college for two more years and didn't think about the Marine Corps at all. After my junior year, I went to 6 more weeks of OCS, and I got comissioned after I graduated college. It's called the PLC program.

If you are a junior, you can go to a single 10 weeks OCS session, and then get comissioned when you graduate, or you can go to OCS after you graduate college and get comissioned immediatley.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is going to OCS the same as the saying, green to gold, non-comissioned officer to comissioned officer?
Old 11-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Teching In

No, OCS is basically officer boot camp. there are programs to go from enlisted to officer, but all officers go through OCS
Old 11-02-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT Malice
Thats what I did.

Are you still in college? What year are you? I signed the dotted line during my freshman year of college. I went to OCS for 6 weeks during the summer between my freshman and sophmore year. I went back to college for two more years and didn't think about the Marine Corps at all. After my junior year, I went to 6 more weeks of OCS, and I got comissioned after I graduated college. It's called the PLC program.

If you are a junior, you can go to a single 10 weeks OCS session, and then get comissioned when you graduate, or you can go to OCS after you graduate college and get comissioned immediatley.
Yup in college, have my AA degree now going for the BA, so I guess techinically I am a Jr.

So I will just do 10 weeks and then that's that or do I meet up and train every month like reserves or something? I guess it kind of seems pointless to do it now if I have to wait until after I graduate anyways?
Old 11-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Yup in college, have my AA degree now going for the BA, so I guess techinically I am a Jr.

So I will just do 10 weeks and then that's that or do I meet up and train every month like reserves or something? I guess it kind of seems pointless to do it now if I have to wait until after I graduate anyways?
OCS is the only obligation. I never had to go train during the school year...ever. Some OSO's in large cities will have get-togethers to focus on working out and learning USMC knowledge, but they aren't mandatory. I went to Kansas state, and my OSO was 3 hours away, so I only got together with him if I needed to sign paperwork or something.

With the PLC program, OCS isn't even an obligation. Say you attend OCS after your junior year, and then go back to college to finish your senior year. After you graduate college, you get an awsome 6 figure job offer. You have no obligation whatsoever to join the Marine Corps. You can tell them you don't want to join, and they will let you go. It's literally just that easy.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

OCS is the only obligation. I never had to go train during the school year...ever. Some OSO's in large cities will have get-togethers to focus on working out and learning USMC knowledge, but they aren't mandatory. I went to Kansas state, and my OSO was 3 hours away, so I only got together with him if I needed to sign paperwork or something.

With the PLC program, OCS isn't even an obligation. Say you attend OCS after your junior year, and then go back to college to finish your senior year. After you graduate college, you get an awsome 6 figure job offer. You have no obligation whatsoever to join the Marine Corps. You can tell them you don't want to join, and they will let you go. It's literally just that easy.
Interesting. What is the training like during the program?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Interesting. What is the training like during the program?
It's basically like boot camp. I thought it sucked pretty bad, but it wasn't that long. ANyone can live through 6 or 10 weeks of bullshit. After OCS, life gets pretty fun.

TBS had a little gheyness as well, but most of the time, we were running around in the woods with guns.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

Default hmm

It's basically like boot camp. I thought it sucked pretty bad, but it wasn't that long.
you think thats bad. try 13 weeks at parris island!

Just kiddin LT. to the op the corps is always in need for a fine officer. as far as training goes, just set your mind to it, and keep your eyes on the prize. boot camp was hell, but its also what YOU make of it! i swear it was all worth it when they pinned the eagle, globe, and anchor on. if you do decide to become an officer and complete your task, just remember to lead by example. thats an officer who gets respect- the alternative is the only respect you get is for your rank.

LT i always wondered why they didnt make it easier to go from "green to gold". im not saying it should be easier, but you learn a lot of the stuff at MCRD that you learn in OCS. And some of the best officers ive met were prior enlisted. "mustang". not saying that there arent great officers who were never enlisted!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by green96ta
you think thats bad. try 13 weeks at parris island!

Just kiddin LT. to the op the corps is always in need for a fine officer. as far as training goes, just set your mind to it, and keep your eyes on the prize. boot camp was hell, but its also what YOU make of it! i swear it was all worth it when they pinned the eagle, globe, and anchor on. if you do decide to become an officer and complete your task, just remember to lead by example. thats an officer who gets respect- the alternative is the only respect you get is for your rank.

LT i always wondered why they didnt make it easier to go from "green to gold". im not saying it should be easier, but you learn a lot of the stuff at MCRD that you learn in OCS. And some of the best officers ive met were prior enlisted. "mustang". not saying that there arent great officers who were never enlisted!
Honestly, I agree with you about mustangs. I came straight from college to the USMC. Even after 4.5 years in the Corps, I still ask mustangs for advice on leadership issues sometimes. They have seen both sides of the tracks, and it pays off.

I don't know too much about the MECEP program, but I did give a SGT a good recomendation for it once. He was a Harrier mechanic, and now he is becoming a Harrier pilot.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Honestly, I agree with you about mustangs. I came straight from college to the USMC. Even after 4.5 years in the Corps, I still ask mustangs for advice on leadership issues sometimes. They have seen both sides of the tracks, and it pays off.

I don't know too much about the MECEP program, but I did give a SGT a good recomendation for it once. He was a Harrier mechanic, and now he is becoming a Harrier pilot.
Thats awesome. I had a friend in college that was a blackhawk mechanic, and then he went warrant and became a pilot. lol. after spending 4yrs in the corps and getting out i got bored, but i had started a family and the wife didnt like the idea of active duty. so i joined the guard. they want me to go officer so bad they cant see straight. and honestly i think im gonna do it. i just dont want to have to do OCS. i spent time at parris island, i dont feel like going throught that **** again. im gettin too old for it. but im gonna turn in a direct commission packet and i should get approved. that way no ocs just all the other branch classes.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done OCS for marines?