Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Joined the USAF

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hah, I guess you are more important to them the I am noodles! I got ahold of my recruiter on monday, sais he was on vacation for 2 weeks. I then asked him if there is any update because its been like a month now since I swore in. He said he has to email somebody and he will call me back...that was MONday, I tried calling him on thurs and fri without luck, I know they are very busy people, but atleast let me know whats going on you know? I would like to know the exact date im going to be going to basic so I can plan some things out.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Noodles
Thanks guys!

And yes, as Air Force bonus go, it's a miiiighty big one. They raised it from 12,000 to 15,000 for FY 2010, but I won't be seeing it for a while thanks to tech school length, lol. :/

You were close! It's MONTEREY, Ca. I'm thinking Farsi and Mandarin are big possibilities too, but maybe Arabic and Pashto also?

As far as difficulty goes, it's ranked the air force's "most stressed job" at a Stress level of 2.15 (over Pararescue which is 1.58)...

Hahaha, I guess I'll find out and let you know!
$15,000? When my buddy went in it was $95,000 (largest sign on available). That was back in 04 though, and a lot has changed since then. When I was enlisted I just missed out on a $7,000 sign on bonus. Instead I got nothing... but it was well worth getting no sign on bonus because I got the job I wanted, and the job was a dream come true.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Maintenance was the best career field choice i could have ever made in the AF. You will not regret it. Its always a challenge and not a ******* desk job or doing paperwork in the medical field. The AF should contract those people out. Maintenance is a brotherhood and is your best choice in the AF. I got out 2 years ago and got my airframe and powerplant license to work civilian aircraft and now make over $30 an hour. You will love it. Basic was a joke looking back but sucked while you are there. Just do what your told, dont volunteer and just stay out of the lime light and it will be a breeze. My TI didnt even know my name the day before graduation!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Good to hear you got a good job after the military! Where were you stationed at? My recruiter told me that you have to fill out 5 bases in the US and 5 outside of US, Is it possible that I could go to Macdill or Nellis being in Maintenance? Thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CALL911
$15,000? When my buddy went in it was $95,000 (largest sign on available). That was back in 04 though, and a lot has changed since then. When I was enlisted I just missed out on a $7,000 sign on bonus. Instead I got nothing... but it was well worth getting no sign on bonus because I got the job I wanted, and the job was a dream come true.
I hate to sound disrespectful, but I think your buddy was lying.

Currently, $15,000 is the largest available for the US Air Force. In fact, for FY 2009 the largest was $13,000. The largest for the ARMY FY 2009 (by law) is $40,000.

The reenlistment bonus for my job is $60,000 (FY 2009, I assume it more for '10).

I'm not sure what the economy comparison would look like 2004 against 2009/10... I understand it might have somewhat of an edge. But we are fighting the same 2 wars now as then. 95,000 dollars sounds completely unbelievable. Especially, since 1A8's get Flight and Foreign Language pay on top of the base, as is.

I'm gonna look that up~

EDIT with RESEARCH:

*FY 2008 (getting closer!)
AFSC TITLE 6 Year Enlistment 4 Year Enlistment
1A8X1 Airbourne Linguist $12,000 $3,000

**Reenlistment Bonus Cap is $90,000.
He's saying 95,000 to enlist... yeah theres no way!
Old 12-06-2009, 12:58 AM
Launching!

$90,000 sounds a bit excessive...but what do I know...not a damn thing because my recruiter doesn't tell me anything!
Old 12-06-2009, 02:47 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

I didn’t read all the posts, but if you got airborne linguist...see you in Iraq! As far as the bonuses, yes there were rumored to be raising the cap from $60k to $90k but I think they were only looking to do that for certain critically manned AFSC’s and then only to those who were retirement eligible. The AF is trying to keep all the experience from getting out and moving on. You take an E-7 thru E-9, have them sign a new enlistment for 4-6 years at a 4.0 multiplier and you can reach the $60k cap easy. In order to retain the most experienced they had to offer them more than a 5 year SSgt reenlisting for 4 years gets...this is how I understand it, but I didn’t dig too deep because I'm not in a career field that will ever see a bonus lol. Aircrew Flight Equipment! 16 years
Now dont be a dumbass and decide "I dont need to go to college while I'm in" I've seen enough Senior NCO's retire and work at minimum wage earning jobs. The AF is great if you have the right attitude and the pay is "blah", but if you take advantage of the 100% tuition assistance and get a 4 year degree as well as a paycheck...well...you do the math.
Good Luck!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Well I finally got an update today. I am going to be shipping out to Basic on April 6th, and I got my 1st job choice Aerospace Propulsion! April 6th is a little later then I wanted to go in but its all good. Damn I'm excited! Thanks again for your guys advice and what not, I really appreciate it!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Noodles
I hate to sound disrespectful, but I think your buddy was lying.

Currently, $15,000 is the largest available for the US Air Force. In fact, for FY 2009 the largest was $13,000. The largest for the ARMY FY 2009 (by law) is $40,000.

The reenlistment bonus for my job is $60,000 (FY 2009, I assume it more for '10).

I'm not sure what the economy comparison would look like 2004 against 2009/10... I understand it might have somewhat of an edge. But we are fighting the same 2 wars now as then. 95,000 dollars sounds completely unbelievable. Especially, since 1A8's get Flight and Foreign Language pay on top of the base, as is.

I'm gonna look that up~

EDIT with RESEARCH:

*FY 2008 (getting closer!)
AFSC TITLE 6 Year Enlistment 4 Year Enlistment
1A8X1 Airbourne Linguist $12,000 $3,000

**Reenlistment Bonus Cap is $90,000.
He's saying 95,000 to enlist... yeah theres no way!
I never saw the $90,000 in writing, however I did know that it was the highest sign on bonus for that year (2004), and that 2nd place was S.E.R.E. instructor and it was $65,000.

Keep in mind the Air Force was a MUCH different place back then financial priority wise than it is today. When they get critically low on certain AFSC's they will throw out the cash to get qualified recruits. Just the same, they will pay a lot when they want it to change in a different way.

I personally saw a couple pilots in my last squadron get offered $100,000+ to end their 10 year pilot committment to the Air Force early so the Air Force could downsize on its pilots. Back when Clinton was president he was offering other large sized bonuses to specific military career fields to get out as an offering to downsize also.

Now, the Air Force is downsized so much, that they don't really offer any more of the sweet deals they used to to come in or get out. They are too busy pinching their budget for bigger spending items soon to come, like buying a ton of F-35's and the new Tanker.

Originally Posted by Dmaleck
Well I finally got an update today. I am going to be shipping out to Basic on April 6th, and I got my 1st job choice Aerospace Propulsion! April 6th is a little later then I wanted to go in but its all good. Damn I'm excited! Thanks again for your guys advice and what not, I really appreciate it!
Congrats dude!
Old 12-08-2009, 05:08 AM
Banned

My first Job pick was Aerospace Propulsion, second is helicopter mechanic and then a few more. I really hope I don't get stuck changing tires or something though. I'm going in to specifically learn, not do stuff I already know how to do.

Thanks for the advice!
Ha. I'm a 2A651 or for you 2A6X1A, and definitely do not change tires. I actually work at Test Cell, but its highly unlikely for any Airman to get here unless you are in Misawa. But yea get used to working in the cold weather.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Launching!

Cold weather? I was hoping to go to Macdill or Nellis lol
Old 12-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Launching!

I've been in 6 years, met my wife early on, we now have a 5 month old little girl. I own a house, a GTO and a 2008 Outlook.

**** is ballin. You chose the best branch in terms of quality of life. Welcome killer.

O and I'm a 1n171a at Hurlburt Field atm.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Which did you buy first?

Because I envision a similar deal for me by time 6 years rolls around.

Sports Car/Home... but no family for me... so maybe 2 sports cars and 2 homes

i'm signed for 6 years
Old 12-08-2009, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

Cold weather? I was hoping to go to Macdill or Nellis lol

i can 100% garauntee ur not going to macdill or nellis....no c-130's there bro sorry...and the fighter world is packed with jet troops...aka areospace propulsion troops...

so you will be coming to the most minimum manned place which is................................................ .....CANNON AFB and i will most likely be ur sponsor/supervisor...so get ready! and ****** pay attention in tech school damnit!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Yes SIR! But seriously,I'm not calling you a liar or anything BUT im sure there are more then one AF base that has people working as aerospace propulsion. I mean they have planes everywhere! Again, what do I know, im not even in yet...you may be right.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Banned

The Air Force is giving out $90,000 REenlistment bonuses to certain people, like JTACs and Linguists who re-up for 6 years
Old 12-09-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jperran
The Air Force is giving out $90,000 REenlistment bonuses to certain people, like JTACs and Linguists who re-up for 6 years
Keep in mind this is re-enlistement you are refferring to. Most AFSC's get them and they will be the most around your 8-12 year point for re-enlistment (basically the point at which you really decide if you want to stay in for retirement, or get out).

I was refferring to the initial enlistment bonus created to hire people initially, which back in 04 when I came in was a bit higher (especially for airborne linguist) than it is currently.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:16 AM
12 Second Club

Yes SIR! But seriously,I'm not calling you a liar or anything BUT im sure there are more then one AF base that has people working as aerospace propulsion. I mean they have planes everywhere! Again, what do I know, im not even in yet...you may be right.

yes but only the critically manned will get all the newbies!
Old 12-16-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

congrats man hope you like it. just make sure maintenance is what you really want to do, i work on the fuels system for f16's and they are pieces of crap. they break all the time. they are also one of the hardest jets to troubleshoot and work on. im pretty sure if you can maintain a f-16 you can maintain anything. id recommend medical or contracting. but on the flipside i've been to vegas twice and now im in afghanistan, its quite an experience. good luck
Old 12-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Yes, I love working on things so I should....shooooould like it! Been to vegas? That must have been some fun!

Quick Reply: Joined the USAF