Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

USAF vehicle operations

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default USAF vehicle operations

usaf vehicle operations, does anyone do this?? whats it like?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 828ls1formula
usaf vehicle operations, does anyone do this?? whats it like?
When I was in from 1984 to 1990 this was called transportation and dealt with anything involving base vehicles, from driving the base bus to using brand new 5.0 Mustangs or Z28's (depending what base you we're at) as chase vehicles for the U-2, to vehicle and heavy equipment repair. If you are a gear head you should be fine!
Old 11-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Anthony Williams
When I was in from 1984 to 1990 this was called transportation and dealt with anything involving base vehicles, from driving the base bus to using brand new 5.0 Mustangs or Z28's (depending what base you we're at) as chase vehicles for the U-2, to vehicle and heavy equipment repair. If you are a gear head you should be fine!
im def a gear head lol by far... im just lookin at this job still thinking about it thanks for the info
Old 11-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Teching In

pretty shitty AFSC, mostly civillians now. (no i've never done this job)
Old 11-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Banned

sounds like bus driver to me
Old 11-29-2009, 04:11 AM
On The Tree

yeah, lot of guys are just bus driver/ drive the general or base commander around. there are GTOs and some Fbodys now that chase the U2s with landing gear. And only pilots get to do that. sometimes you can get a ride along if he gots a spot. they are there to radio the pilot about his take off/ landing since the wings are flexing hanging low.

90% chance you will end up working on heavy vehicles and/or driving a bus/some bee hive for the big wigs.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Launching!

you are a glorified bus driver, it sucks, the deployments are 9 months, driving all over iraq working longass hours while base jobs might work panama shifts.....you get to know all the operators in the af pretty quick as you deploy frequently, i deployed as an AB but in return to that im more decorated than most A1C's and SrA's and some Staffs and Techs.....but i mean it is what you make it....
Old 12-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eroc022
you are a glorified bus driver, it sucks, the deployments are 9 months, driving all over iraq working longass hours while base jobs might work panama shifts.....you get to know all the operators in the af pretty quick as you deploy frequently, i deployed as an AB but in return to that im more decorated than most A1C's and SrA's and some Staffs and Techs.....but i mean it is what you make it....
would you rather know operators or be one?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Knew a guy who came in with that job but cross trained out. Hated it as it consisted of him just driving a truck around all day. Sounds like a dead end job to me. Nothing like spending 20 years in the military and all you did was drive a truck...

Even if you happened to end up driving with the U-2s on the flight line, I would think anyone would get burned out after the first couple of years.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Vehicle operators do not drive the U-2 chase cars. The chase cars are driven by other U-2 pilots when they are guiding in the aircraft. Vehicle Ops guys are bus drivers and they wash and wax vehicles. It would really suck to be stuck in that job. The Air Force has alot of better jobs to offer than being a vehicle operator
Old 12-18-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was deployed with vehicle operators/maintainers as a security force guy. did all the basic maintenance and everything and seeing all the stuff they have to do, id definitely pass..
Old 12-18-2009, 01:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
would you rather know operators or be one?
definately know them, cause being one really blows! i am qualified to drive any vehicle the military has though, but driving all of them is never going to happen, the rules and standards for the job suck,

[QUOTE]TXZ28LS1 was deployed with vehicle operators/maintainers as a security force guy. did all the basic maintenance and everything and seeing all the stuff they have to do, id definitely pass.. [QUOTE]

the deployment for those that go with us to aj has now gotten easier on your behalf, instead of doing the training in camp bullis, now sfs,intel, and the office jobs just show up downrange without the training, but dont count on ever riding into iraq.....

all in all im working on a retrain to in flight refuel, or aerial gunner now....hell im even putting in for postal
Old 12-18-2009, 01:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=eroc022;12637598]definately know them, cause being one really blows! i am qualified to drive any vehicle the military has though, but driving all of them is never going to happen, the rules and standards for the job suck,

[QUOTE]TXZ28LS1 was deployed with vehicle operators/maintainers as a security force guy. did all the basic maintenance and everything and seeing all the stuff they have to do, id definitely pass..

the deployment for those that go with us to aj has now gotten easier on your behalf, instead of doing the training in camp bullis, now sfs,intel, and the office jobs just show up downrange without the training, but dont count on ever riding into iraq.....

all in all im working on a retrain to in flight refuel, or aerial gunner now....hell im even putting in for postal

yeah man, i was part AF first to do long haul convoys. deployed to AJ.. maybe only 15 sfs guys only, and the rest were all maintainers, and operators.. u got a sfs guy driving a damn 18 wheeler..WTF!! we did convoys all over the place from AJ..honestly, it was my best deployment i been on. not the best experience, but actually working with other people hand in hand outside of normal sfs stuff.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eroc022
definately know them, cause being one really blows! i am qualified to drive any vehicle the military has though, but driving all of them is never going to happen, the rules and standards for the job suck,

TXZ28LS1 was deployed with vehicle operators/maintainers as a security force guy. did all the basic maintenance and everything and seeing all the stuff they have to do, id definitely pass..

either we have different meanings for "operator" or you're completely gay.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Launching!

either we have different meanings for "operator" or you're completely gay.
what the hell is your problem? arent you new to the military anyways? ive been doing this longer than you if thats the case and i know how the whole 2t1 career works, ive done it all.....so let me get your take on it since you are an expert
Old 12-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Teching In

so its option A, i was speaking of a different type of operator(nothing to do with your special little job).

i'm sure you've been doing vehicle whatever guy longer than i have because i've never done that. i'm in tech school currently so take that for what its worth.

Last edited by sparky1397r; 12-23-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Launching!

so its option A, i was speaking of a different type of operator(nothing to do with your special little job).

i'm sure you've been doing vehicle whatever guy longer than i have because i've never done that. i'm in tech school currently so take that for what its worth.
man with the smartass mouth your dumbass has im sure you wont last too long, youll prob be one of those bitches that never deploys or when you do you are a fobbit playing xbox and drinking mountain dews all day long..... so how about you quit trying to start some high school drama **** and focus more on your ***** *** job
Old 12-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Teching In

lasted long enough to make SSgt and get myself on the path towards a very sissified non deploying fobbit field.

btw i don't like Mt dew, although i will keep concentrating on my job as we've already lost 75% of the candidates thus far.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:14 PM

Default shittttttttttttttt!

about to go to my first duty station as a vehicle operator, very pissed I got this job, came into the air force to do something to make my civilian life more rewarding in 6 years, if I knew I was going to drive, i wouldnt have joined could have done the same **** as a civilian. shitttttttttttttttttt!

Quick Reply: USAF vehicle operations