Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Marine infantry vs. Army infantry...need info

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe1Z28
I'm Army infantry and my twin brother is Marine Corps infantry. He is now an instructor at SOI and I'm a recruiter for the Army National Guard. We both have combat experience and served active duty infantry before moving on to our current assignments. We talk every couple of days and we both agree that the branch doesn't mean ****. Infantry is infantry either way. All this talk about basic training is useless. Anyone who has ever done anything in the military can tell you that it is what you do AFTER basic that matters. Marines will tell you that the Marine Corps is better and soldiers will tell you that the Army is better. Go with the better contract. The Army still offers bonuses, schools, and a shorter enlistment opportunity. These are great incentives. What the Marine Corps offers is shorter deployments and the pride of being a Marine. These can be very important considerations as well. If you do your homework, you will find that one branch will offer more of what you're looking for than the other. It sounds like you're looking to be the biggest badass possible. Whatever you choose, by the time you get through your training, you are gonna feel like the biggest badass in the world.
Thanks.
''It sounds like you're looking to be the biggest badass possible''... ahahaha not realy just want the best training i can get, to get me ready for what ever is put before me to do. biggest badass possible would be seals or delta. lol dont have the desire to do either one
Old 03-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Longshot LCMS
Marine corps bootcamp starts with about 4 weeks of drill, ceremony, and other items, then moves into the weapons and field training portion which lasts about 8 more weeks prior to graduating. Following grad there's 3 additional weeks of dedicated combat training for non infantry MOS's before proceeding to the primary MOS school.

Not tooting our own horn, just putting the facts out there.
That is not something I would brag about. There are few things more useless than time wasted on D&C. And like others have said basic is not near as important as what goes on after
Old 03-16-2010, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01turdbird
That is not something I would brag about. There are few things more useless than time wasted on D&C. And like others have said basic is not near as important as what goes on after
I wasn't bragging, just putting it out there. You are right though, tradition and history are both worthless and stupid
Old 03-16-2010, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by acertx
4 Weeks of drill and ceremony? LOL Does it really take that much time for someone to learn parade rest attention fall out? Just how much of that "field training" is some guy who sits in an office going to remember in a few years? I hardly count that as making 1 paper pusher superior to another one.
Probably shouldn't talk about what you don't know about. There's a hundred more drill commands that Marines learn. Are they utterly useless in Combat? Yes, but there's more to military service than Combat.

Close order drill teaches:
1) Instant and willing obedience to orders
2) Teamwork
3) Discipline

Do you realize the same combat formations used in the revolutionary war and civil war are the same formations that are used in that useless drill today? You need to know where you came from before you can expect to move forward. Battles used to be a noble procession, where the commanders met in the center of the battlefield, discussed terms, wished eachother luck and began the battle. There was no hiding, no guerrilla warfare. Sure, the attrition rate was much higher, but this was the way business was conducted.

In regards to how much that paper pusher is going to remember down the road, who knows. Probably very little, but, he has received the basic training. It's not uncommon for the Marine Corps to pull cooks, admin, and various other non-combat MOSs to stand camp guard, provide convoy security, and various other tasks. Every Marine is a basically trained Rifleman. Obviously, those whos primary MOS is to be a rifleman are much more proficient, but none the less, everyone receives the basic training. No one said our paper pushers were superior... Not once did I ever make that argument in any post I've made. It's some of the members of other services who have gotten instantly defensive. Maybe it's their own insecurities.

Originally Posted by Joe1Z28
I'm Army infantry and my twin brother is Marine Corps infantry. He is now an instructor at SOI and I'm a recruiter for the Army National Guard. We both have combat experience and served active duty infantry before moving on to our current assignments. We talk every couple of days and we both agree that the branch doesn't mean ****. Infantry is infantry either way. All this talk about basic training is useless. Anyone who has ever done anything in the military can tell you that it is what you do AFTER basic that matters. Marines will tell you that the Marine Corps is better and soldiers will tell you that the Army is better. Go with the better contract. The Army still offers bonuses, schools, and a shorter enlistment opportunity. These are great incentives. What the Marine Corps offers is shorter deployments and the pride of being a Marine. These can be very important considerations as well. If you do your homework, you will find that one branch will offer more of what you're looking for than the other. It sounds like you're looking to be the biggest badass possible. Whatever you choose, by the time you get through your training, you are gonna feel like the biggest badass in the world.
Some very good points made here. Obviously, I'm going to favor my Corps. I've given almost 6 years of my life to it. In the end though, there's not necessarily a lot of differences, aside from the Marines tradition of amphibious warfare. You're right about basic though, it's really nothing in the end.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Teching In

I wasn't bragging, just putting it out there. You are right though, tradition and history are both worthless and stupid
They are pretty dam useless when it comes to what a grunt is going to do in a real war. Which is kind of what matters most. But I guess if you need that kind of stuff to do your job well than that is fine but I am glad I dont have to waste my time with that crap. Teach me the skills I need to survive and complete the mission thank you very much.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Probably shouldn't talk about what you don't know about. There's a hundred more drill commands that Marines learn. Are they utterly useless in Combat? Yes, but there's more to military service than Combat.
The only reason to have a militray is for combat in some form or another. Anything that dosent improve in that ability is a waste of time.
2) Teamwork
3) Discipline
The only thing I have seen D&C create is bored and unhappy soliders, except for the weird few who like it maybe Marines are different I dont know. Is that the reason Special Operations units do little to no D&C or history lessons.

Do you realize the same combat formations used in the revolutionary war and civil war are the same formations that are used in that useless drill today? You need to know where you came from before you can expect to move forward. Battles used to be a noble procession, where the commanders met in the center of the battlefield, discussed terms, wished eachother luck and began the battle. There was no hiding, no guerrilla warfare. Sure, the attrition rate was much higher, but this was the way business was conducted.

I am sorry I just dont see that is in any way useful, unless you are personaly intrested in history which I am by the way, but not knowing it would have zero effect on my abilitys to soldier.

In regards to how much that paper pusher is going to remember down the road, who knows. Probably very little, but, he has received the basic training. It's not uncommon for the Marine Corps to pull cooks, admin, and various other non-combat MOSs to stand camp guard, provide convoy security, and various other tasks. Every Marine is a basically trained Rifleman. Obviously, those whos primary MOS is to be a rifleman are much more proficient, but none the less, everyone receives the basic training. No one said our paper pushers were superior... Not once did I ever make that argument in any post I've made. It's some of the members of other services who have gotten instantly defensive. Maybe it's their own insecurities.

Some very good points made here. Obviously, I'm going to favor my Corps. I've given almost 6 years of my life to it. In the end though, there's not necessarily a lot of differences, aside from the Marines tradition of amphibious warfare. You're right about basic though, it's really nothing in the end.
That is perfectly understandable and I am sure I have some bias to if not the Army than Army Special Operations for sure. And my feelings are that as far as infantry goes neither one is better. It comes down to the idividual unit more than anything else. I have seen units in the Army that were total crap and some that were **** hot. Same goes for the Corps.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

They are pretty dam useless when it comes to what a grunt is going to do in a real war. Which is kind of what matters most. But I guess if you need that kind of stuff to do your job well than that is fine but I am glad I dont have to waste my time with that crap. Teach me the skills I need to survive and complete the mission thank you very much.
That is perfectly understandable and I am sure I have some bias to if not the Army than Army Special Operations for sure. And my feelings are that as far as infantry goes neither one is better. It comes down to the idividual unit more than anything else. I have seen units in the Army that were total crap and some that were **** hot. Same goes for the Corps.
It's really very sad that you feel that way, but you're entitled to your opinion. Marines have a rich history, which those who came before us bled for, so yes, I'll take every opportunity I get to honor it. Do I personally enjoy drill? No. We do it rarely... very little in fact... However, it does have it's purpose. In my opinion part of creating a Marine is making a recruit understand where he came from, and that's the first step at the recruit Depots. Break them down, make them understand, teach them, build them up.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Teching In

2) Teamwork
3) Discipline
LOL I don't know what it's like to do D&C? Why, because I think it's retarded or I threw out the most commonly used commands? Why do you think I'd throw out the ones that are pretty much only used in day to day life?
Also not only do I realize the history part and WHY but I also realize that is not the way it works now.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Teching In

I dont see how it is sad but your right that is my opinion It is also my opinion that spending 4 weeks of training time would be much better spent doing cqb dryflows or react to contact drills or even just range time than learning how to look pretty in a formation. exspecially during a time of war. Now if the Marines or soldiers that graduated basic were in anyway shape or form ready to go to war than maybe I could see spending that extra time on something like that. But that is not anywhere near the level they are at when they get out. It costs alot of good guys there lives because they dont have the training they need before they deploy. But hey they did know the history of the Corps right I guess that counts for something.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Either way you get paid the same as a cook. I'd pick the one that offers the shortest enlistment. Your command has the biggest effect on your day to day life so even in the same unit people can have very different experiences.
no truer words have ever been spoken. even though i have very little first hand knowledge i would be willing to bet that they both have very similar day to day activities. ive worked hand in hand with some of our infantry guys and even got to do some training with them and 3/75 rangers.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by '02SOMz28
what mos can you sign for a shorter term? i was planning on 4 years.....
according to my new joes who i just recently they are offering contracts with terms as low as two years now for the army.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:19 AM
Banned

All contracts are 8 years, but the Army is offering a 2 year active/6 year inactive. I only bring that up so you don't cry if you get stop lossed because you didn't understand the legal contract you were signing.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jperran
All contracts are 8 years, but the Army is offering a 2 year active/6 year inactive. I only bring that up so you don't cry if you get stop lossed because you didn't understand the legal contract you were signing.
There's a way around that. Join the National Guard or Reserves after your time active and each year you're in them counts as 2 years off your inactive duty time. Plus they were doing the first 2 years as nondeployable. I think that's pretty sweet considering you'll probably deploy during your initial active duty time then get 2 years off at least before your next deployment. I'm not seeing a negative here haha. Then again I haven't looked into this in a little over a year.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Teching In

There's a way around that. Join the National Guard or Reserves after your time active and each year you're in them counts as 2 years off your inactive duty time. Plus they were doing the first 2 years as nondeployable. I think that's pretty sweet considering you'll probably deploy during your initial active duty time then get 2 years off at least before your next deployment. I'm not seeing a negative here haha. Then again I haven't looked into this in a little over a year.
I'm a National Guard recruiter. None of this is true.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Sorry it's been a long time since I was interested in transitioning to the guard or reserves and I was in Iraq so I can't find the official links I had. Honestly I had much better links but I think this still helps out.
http://armyreservemichigan.net/IRR.aspx

The reduction in time remaining means that HALF of your remaining IRR time is removed permanently, up to two years worth. So, if you had four years left in the IRR, and transfered to a drilling status. you would have two years removed, and be non deployable for the remaining two years.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Sorry it's been a long time since I was interested in transitioning to the guard or reserves and I was in Iraq so I can't find the official links I had. Honestly I had much better links but I think this still helps out.
http://armyreservemichigan.net/IRR.aspx
I just read that page and I can assure you that it is seriously outdated. I can't believe it is still an active link considering it is no longer good information. Honest mistake though.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Teching In

That makes sense, it always did sound like a pretty big loophole.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am an Active Duty Army recruiter and honestly everything boils down to preference. The debate will last forever, because as previously stated, everyone holds their branch in high regard (even reserves and NG for some reason).

If you want to be infantry you need to go where your heart takes you, as either branch will get you infantry pretty effortlessly. Personally, there are real things such as: bigger branch usually equals faster promotions and better equipped, but you are already talking elite type units (which are better equipped anyway).

Either way you will get ample training for what you are going to face, it just depends on what you do with it. Each branch has its low-lifes, and undisciplined members so it doesn't matter.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:43 PM

like MANY other have said it all comes down to what you want. I have been in the National Guard for 7 years, I hold both a 11B MOS as well as 21B (combat engineer). I have been on 3 combat deployment (2-Iraq, 1 Afghanistan) doing combat operations with both regular Army infantry as well as Marine infantry. in my opinion I would go to battle with ANY of the marines or soldiers that I have personaly been in combat with they are all well trained. As for DNC personaly I hate it. All DNC is good for is a dog and pony show for those who never leave the safety of a FOB. I do believe (to an extent) that it is importaint to know the history of your branch and to have pride in what you do but alot take it way to far. When I was looking at joining I really looked into the Marines but my dad was a SGM in a Army SF group, my grandfather on my dads side was a Ranger and pretty much every male on my dads side was in the Army at some point so I kept with tradition and went Army (I was highly "influenced" by my dad). All branches have strong and weak points dont get to hung up on one aspect of any one branch. Look at EVERYTHING before you decide. When you choose your MOS look at how it can help you in the civillian world for when you get out.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by '02SOMz28
My brother was in the Navy, saw alot of cool places. however i cant realy find the mos that i want in the navy, im signing for the Marines around the end of the year. i wouldnt mind going to the airforce so i could finish college but i think i would be bored in the airforce.

there are a few jobs that aren't boring, but they require a little more of you if you want to be there.

Quick Reply: Marine infantry vs. Army infantry...need info