Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Marine infantry vs. Army infantry...need info

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
there are a few jobs that aren't boring, but they require a little more of you if you want to be there.
Like Chillis courier? J/K

Edit-At least in Baumholder the Reserves/N.G. are still offering 2 yr stabilization, on a 5 or 6 yr. contract lol.... at least that's what they offered my buddy.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
there are a few jobs that aren't boring, but they require a little more of you if you want to be there.
no dout man. military has endless possibilities. i just feel infantry is were i should be.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:57 AM
Teching In

more power to ya!
Old 03-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my 2 cents!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:36 AM
Teching In

Old 03-21-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice one!
Old 03-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Teching In

I have seen that pic before and everytime I see it I want to kick that fat slob and his senior NCO's ***. There is no excuse for anybody in the military being like that. It is a disgrace. I have seen some Marines like that to but I will agree that it is more common in the Army.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

That's the "New Army" for ya. generation ACU as i like to call it. pitiful. And to think, this is the degree of soldier I have to work with on a daily basis. Almost makes me wish I had joined the Marines.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That pic is priceless... in regards to fat asses, yes they exist in every branch. The good news? If you're over weight in the Marine Corps you get 6 months to lose it or they admin separate you.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Longshot LCMS
That pic is priceless... in regards to fat asses, yes they exist in every branch. The good news? If you're over weight in the Marine Corps you get 6 months to lose it or they admin separate you.

This depends on your command
Old 03-21-2010, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

You either love the Corp or you don't... If you're unsure about it, just join the army. I say this because, either its in you to be a marine or its not. You have to love it to go through some of what you'll go through. That way you'll have no regrets.... No matter witch one you choose, remember why you're there!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1999vetteroo
You either love the Corp or you don't... If you're unsure about it, just join the army. I say this because, either its in you to be a marine or its not. You have to love it to go through some of what you'll go through. That way you'll have no regrets.... No matter witch one you choose, remember why you're there!
There is nothing more special (except maybe the commercials) or hard about being in the Marines over the Army. I know two dudes who were in the Corp, one who was a grunt and the other was in force recon, They both went Army to go SF after working with a ODA downrange. They both just liked the way the Army operates better than the Corps. The Army has some major downsides and some great upsides exactly the same as the Marines. I just kind of get tired of hearing the whole either its in you to be a marine or its not. You have to love it to go through some of what you'll go through. The funny thing is that you usally only hear this from new guys or pogs. I have never heard a MARSOC or Recon guy talk about how badass you had to be just to be in the Corps. Kind of tells you something dont it.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Longshot - Would I too be a boot since I have only gotten to complete one deployment? We can't all go as much as we would like, no matter who we tell. I am slated to go again this summer, once I get back to the fleet, 'thank God', after I get off this recruiting tour in a month and a half. Mine is one of those weird MOS's that I can't seem to just jump on the next pump because of rank and required personnel at certain levels. Frustrating as all hell, let me tell you. However, the look on my wife's face when I came home after talking to my next unit and getting on the roster for the next cycle was priceless. Especially after the lack of family time and weird schedule out here on recruiting. But she is awesome, and knows how much I enjoyed my time overseas and when I returned home tried to go again immediately, but instead was flagged for this. I figure you are a DI or in some capacity of training recruits since you are on P.I. am I correct?

For the OP - Why are you waiting? The ship dates are so backed up that you probably won't be getting on the yellow footprints until around November or December anyway. The sooner in the better for you honestly, no recruiter BS, you will fall into the FY11 job dump. There are no UH jobs available right now, which is Infantry. You could see if there is any VZ available when you are choosing your job, that will at least guarantee you get to go to Recon to try and potentially get to BRC. UV and UW are both Security Forces contracts that allow you to complete SOI and then do two years as Security Forces and then the remaining three years as a grunt. PRP or Personal Reliability Program is in there too which will allow you to get a Top Secret clearance if required for your assignment.

Bottom line, if you are going to choose the Corps or any other branch, do it for the right reasons. It needs to be in your heart and for the country, not for your personal gain.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mySStery_machine
Longshot - Would I too be a boot since I have only gotten to complete one deployment? We can't all go as much as we would like, no matter who we tell. I am slated to go again this summer, once I get back to the fleet, 'thank God', after I get off this recruiting tour in a month and a half. Mine is one of those weird MOS's that I can't seem to just jump on the next pump because of rank and required personnel at certain levels. Frustrating as all hell, let me tell you. However, the look on my wife's face when I came home after talking to my next unit and getting on the roster for the next cycle was priceless. Especially after the lack of family time and weird schedule out here on recruiting. But she is awesome, and knows how much I enjoyed my time overseas and when I returned home tried to go again immediately, but instead was flagged for this. I figure you are a DI or in some capacity of training recruits since you are on P.I. am I correct?

For the OP - Why are you waiting? The ship dates are so backed up that you probably won't be getting on the yellow footprints until around November or December anyway. The sooner in the better for you honestly, no recruiter BS, you will fall into the FY11 job dump. There are no UH jobs available right now, which is Infantry. You could see if there is any VZ available when you are choosing your job, that will at least guarantee you get to go to Recon to try and potentially get to BRC. UV and UW are both Security Forces contracts that allow you to complete SOI and then do two years as Security Forces and then the remaining three years as a grunt. PRP or Personal Reliability Program is in there too which will allow you to get a Top Secret clearance if required for your assignment.

Bottom line, if you are going to choose the Corps or any other branch, do it for the right reasons. It needs to be in your heart and for the country, not for your personal gain.
If i wanted a personal gain to get extra time off and college and a ''good job'' after, i would go air force... i want to be in the Marine Core infantry, if the recruiter sais no, ill go airborne in the army.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Teching In

If I were in your shoes and you do go Army I would try and get a option 40 contract. That is the Ranger contract. Rangers are some of the very best at what they do get funded very well and as a side bonus you get to work with CAG from time to time. If you fail out or quit at RIP you have already been to airborne school and will go needs of the Army like you would have anyway. There are many paths to move up at from Ranger Batt either in batt itself or to another unit. Just something to think about. On the other my personal opinion is it is much tougher to get into Ranger Batt and stay there than being a Marine grunt
Old 03-24-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by '02SOMz28
If i wanted a personal gain to get extra time off and college and a ''good job'' after, i would go air force... i want to be in the Marine Core infantry, if the recruiter sais no, ill go airborne in the army.
You missed the point of what I said I believe. People in general, not just you, need to make their decision for the right reasons. There are plenty of good jobs after your service to your country, the common misconception is that only the Air Force and Navy have any educational opportunities. I would still suggest for you to enlist sooner than later to ensure your ship date to boot camp as well as that UH contract you desire so much. It's Marine CORPS by the way and not 'Core'. Another one to take note of is the 'says' instead of 'sais'. Have you taken the practice ASVAB or even the full test? Have you made any steps to beginning your enlistment? There may be more options if you let me know what you got on either test.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

You missed the point of what I said I believe. People in general, not just you, need to make their decision for the right reasons. There are plenty of good jobs after your service to your country, the common misconception is that only the Air Force and Navy have any educational opportunities. I would still suggest for you to enlist sooner than later to ensure your ship date to boot camp as well as that UH contract you desire so much. It's Marine CORPS by the way and not 'Core'. Another one to take note of is the 'says' instead of 'sais'. Have you taken the practice ASVAB or even the full test? Have you made any steps to beginning your enlistment? There may be more options if you let me know what you got on either test.
says sory lol i get going to fast and never check spelling lol! last time i took the test was about 5 years ago made like a 70 or around in that range... Dont Hear alot of people call it corps. could have swore the recruiter said core ever time i have talked to him. and i am making the decision for the right reason and did not miss out on the point. lol. And i am dropping some weight right now, ran 5 miles yesturday, and workout 6 times a week twice aday.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01turdbird
If I were in your shoes and you do go Army I would try and get a option 40 contract. That is the Ranger contract. Rangers are some of the very best at what they do get funded very well and as a side bonus you get to work with CAG from time to time. If you fail out or quit at RIP you have already been to airborne school and will go needs of the Army like you would have anyway. There are many paths to move up at from Ranger Batt either in batt itself or to another unit. Just something to think about. On the other my personal opinion is it is much tougher to get into Ranger Batt and stay there than being a Marine grunt
Would love to be able to get a Ranger contract but was told by a number of people they were not taking option 40's at the moment.. will contact the recruiter and check though!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

It is spelled Corps but pronounced CORE. How much weight do you need to cut? Stick with it, any extra conditioning can only help.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is spelled Corps but pronounced CORE. How much weight do you need to cut? Stick with it, any extra conditioning can only help.
Thanks lol, lost 20, need to lose another 60 i bet. its going good. moving in with my brother after the summer and will start all the works outs he did in boot camp. ill be working out around 4 times a day then right before i sign up when i get into a gym rat mood its hard to get out of it.

Quick Reply: Marine infantry vs. Army infantry...need info