Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

VA disability

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VA disability

I recently ETSd from the army. I now have an 80% disablity rating from the VA. I think its hurting me more than helping. I cant get a better job and the amount isn't enough to pay bills plus I don't have insurance for my wife and daughter. Most of my rating is for sleep apnea. I have a TBI and PTSD. Since when did an honorably discharged disabled veteran have such a problems? Almost makes me wish I had just stayed and got undeployable status.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Army gave you the shaft if your at that rating. You should of been MED. IF it is that hard just appeal for unemployability.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:34 PM
12 Second Club

I may end up doing that.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I feel your pain, I was told that I didn't qualify for hearing loss, PTSD, or TBI because I was in the infantry. I got a stinking 20% for permenant nerve damage from a surgery on my left nut.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whomever told you that you need to appeal and may need to go higher then them. It a messed up world and I know the system is screwy, Im only 25 and there is no sign of me getting better no matter how hard I try, and for the rest most things wont, so dont let them tell you that PTSD or TBI is not something you qualify for. I was combat arms, 19K, and being a tanker I have hearing loss/tinnitus(ringing of the ears, high pitch noises) most of it aint from a tank but it something that effects my day to day life. Ive gotten somewhat used to it, but I freak my roommate who is in the military cause I hear things all the time and always having to go check it out. The VA works to your benefit, if they do not co-operate go higher in their system. It is no longer the military, system may seem to operate the same, but if your hurt, no one should be telling you differently.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

What do you mean you can get a better job? I'm at 60% and I still work as a mechanic. The only time its a problem is if your disability inhibits your from doing stuff anf you still do it IE...I have a heart problem...I probably shouldnt be a marathon runner lol
Old 04-06-2010, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

who wants to hire a guy with a TBI? they think I'm messed up.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

I am 100% disabled, combat wounded, purple heart recipient, I served in both theaters Desert Storm/ Iraqi freedom...I lucked out cause i was a Federal Agent prior to fulfilling my duties in the military, so i got Disability from them plus social security.

If your only at 80%, and your condition warrants 100% keep going to the VA and bug the heck out of them.....sooner or later they will bump you up to 100%.

I was sent a letter form the VA a few years ago telling me that i might have gotten exposed to depleted uranium and to go get my self tested, that was way after i was discharged. look in to that...
Old 04-30-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wait, you do not need to tell any employer you are a DV. Did you tell an employer you are a DV and what it comprised of?

Quick Reply: VA disability