Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Anyone separate, then want back in months later?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Anyone separate, then want back in months later?

I'm curious how hard this is to do or even possible. Anyone know if you can get a different job if you come back in?

Branch is Air Force.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the USAF? Good luck, man. Them prima donnas, man...Talk to a Recruiter. From what Ive seen, Army is the only Active branch that accepts prior service. Other branches Reserve and Guard units have been known to accept Prior Service. A vast majority of the time, like 85+%, consider you lucky to be accepted back in the service. If you get to keep your job...thats your bonus. To request and receive a job change is REALLY effin rare. Good luck. Best bet is to talk to a Recruiter.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Contrary to popular belief, the Air Force does accept prior service.

...... with that being said, good luck. Are you still on terminal ? If so, you actually have 24 hours after your date of separation to re-enlist and it actually makes your srb zone different to where you can get a bigger re-enlistment bonus, if there is one for your career field.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is within 6 months i believe then you get to retain everything. After that you are open to what they have or if they need you. All services take prior enlisted just have to have a need for you, which is hard in these economical times and recruiting thru the roof.

You can also go Active Reserve and do your time that way. alot of options.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes active reserve is a possibility, I was hoping I could hear from someone who has done this. (gotten back in after leaving)

My terminal leave ended last week, so I am out now. Just curious if this was possible.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Teching In

I cant give you much more advice on getting back in. Basically I was told its not easy. What I can tell you is track down your DD214 ASAP. Make sure "YOU" request a member 4 copy. Its the copy that shows your type of discharge. I believe member 2 has like 28 boxes or something member 4 has like 35. Anyways it took me forever to get mine, I got sent like 3-4 places to find it. Each one took a week or so to get back to me only to tell me its somewhere else. Its a HUGE hangup if you want to use your GI bill or get any kind of Career. When i finally got my DD214 it was a Member 2 copy which no one would take. Had to have member 4 which i didnt request, and had to do it all over again. Hang on to that sucker, you only get 1 orginal. Good luck with it all.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ricks4genshianne
With the USAF? Good luck, man. Them prima donnas, man...Talk to a Recruiter. From what Ive seen, Army is the only Active branch that accepts prior service. Other branches Reserve and Guard units have been known to accept Prior Service. A vast majority of the time, like 85+%, consider you lucky to be accepted back in the service. If you get to keep your job...thats your bonus. To request and receive a job change is REALLY effin rare. Good luck. Best bet is to talk to a Recruiter.
I don't get this? My uncle was in the US Air Force from 18-24, just went back in this past fall at the age of 42.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got back into the navy after being out for 2 years and one month. I got a re-enlistment bonus, kept the same rank, and took the advancement exam for the next rank the week after I showed up at my command. It all just depends on what the branch of service is looking for.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll go Navy if I have to.

So how do you even get your DD214? I thought it was sent to your home of residence address? correct? How do you request the type 4 form?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

i was in the army for 5 years, got out for 2, and enlisted into the air force 3 years ago when they were cutting back pretty hard. you just have to find a recruiter that will put up with the extra paperwork to put you in. went through 4 recruiters before i found one that would help me out. i kept e-5 but they took my time in grade. i also had to keep the same job as i had in the army (1N3/98G). not sure if that's regulation or if it was just easier that way.

i'd definitely consider navy. depending on your job, the promotion rate is out of control. CTIs can make chief in like 8 years.

it's been a while but i'm pretty sure they gave me my 214 on my final out. and the one they gave me had my reelistment code on it.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

They wouldn't give me mine cuz i had 75+ days of terminal. I got an automated email a few days back about it, but no word on when I'll get it.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be able to call them and they can email one to you.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Professor
i was in the army for 5 years, got out for 2, and enlisted into the air force 3 years ago when they were cutting back pretty hard. you just have to find a recruiter that will put up with the extra paperwork to put you in. went through 4 recruiters before i found one that would help me out. i kept e-5 but they took my time in grade. i also had to keep the same job as i had in the army (1N3/98G). not sure if that's regulation or if it was just easier that way.

i'd definitely consider navy. depending on your job, the promotion rate is out of control. CTIs can make chief in like 8 years.

it's been a while but i'm pretty sure they gave me my 214 on my final out. and the one they gave me had my reelistment code on it.
Your best bet is to try "https://arpc.afrc.af.mil/vPC-GR/login/main_login.asp" or call them at 1-800-525-0102. I went through multiple places until i got sent there. Supposably they will send it to you, however its the military and you know how that goes. I would just contact them to ensure you get it. Once again request your member 4 copy. I believe it was military records that told me " Oh you havent been discharged yet, the reserves owns you"
=) due to my inactive reserve status.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my DD214 in the mail about 2.5 weeks after my DOS(05 Apr 2010). I also got the email which doesn't amount to anything.

They say it takes about 6 weeks to get it and I doubt it will speed things up if you call.

Back on topic: If I don't find a job with a Fire Department within the next year, I'm going to try and get back in
Old 05-10-2010, 02:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
I got my DD214 in the mail about 2.5 weeks after my DOS(05 Apr 2010). I also got the email which doesn't amount to anything.

They say it takes about 6 weeks to get it and I doubt it will speed things up if you call.

Back on topic: If I don't find a job with a Fire Department within the next year, I'm going to try and get back in
True, thats about normal time as long as things go to plan. waiting for something thats not coming takes a little longer. I was a special case since my date of discharge was 2 days after a deployment. Outprocessing went by kind of quickly It doesnt hurt to ensure everything is going as planned. Its better than waiting patiently and suddenly needing it. Good luck with the fire department. Great job.

ok once again back on topic...
Old 05-13-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I technically did this back in 2008. I seperated while I had a pending acceptance to a Reserve unit. I was past my terminal leave before I got accepted with the Reserves, and I didn't officially start up with the Reserves until much later that year.

This was all in the Air Force.

The Air Force is even more difficult to get into right now, since they are downsizing yet again. That does NOT mean that you can't get in, or in your case "back in". As already stated, talking with a local recruiter would be best, but keeping your options open to include the available AFSC's and going into the Reserves or Guard will improve your chances.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:07 PM

If you are still considering this I would think long and hard about it. I did 4 years from '96-'00 and came back in in '01 and waited then for about 4 months. Then only reason I got back in that quickly was due to 9/11 and I had experience on a critically manned aircraft. Just about everyone I have talked to lately have basically said good luck on coming back to active duty (I know several that have tried). If you have a gov contract job maybe, but that would be the only way. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Anyone separate, then want back in months later?