Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

AF new PT testing, who else has a squadron full of fatties?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
i'm talking to the people who claim they can't pass because of the testing requirements, although i was playing off of your statement on what the testing didn't account for.

not very many guys "walking" around where i work our shop's average run time(snco and o included) is 10:07.

no reason to hate on stocky guys that can PT

Thats cool man, i thought you were tryin to call me a fat ***.. yeah no doubt, we should not have a fat air force..nobody in the military should be fat. but just some of the rules the AF implemented are pretty dumb. Definitely give props to the big dudes that can run. Im hoping i can match my 11:54 i ran a couple of days ago for my actual PT test. I ran today and ran into the wind and ran under 13 minutes. Running into the wind sucks.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiny161092
Trying to enlist in the army. They taped tested me and informed that I had to lose 10% of my body fat. Now i'm 6'4 330lbs, played football for 8 years in highschool, wrestled for 4 your years, and thrown shotput and discus for 3. Needless to say i'm an athletic person, I can agree with them wanting me to lose the fat but saying a just because i'm 330 makes me unable to keep up with the skinny bitches is just plain stupid! Already cutting pretty hard trying to get to boot by dec.

being 330lbs makes you a liability, i don't care if you look like brock lesnar or a fat chick in a hoveround. if **** goes down hill how do you expect 1 person to carry you out?
Old 10-03-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
being 330lbs makes you a liability, i don't care if you look like brock lesnar or a fat chick in a hoveround. if **** goes down hill how do you expect 1 person to carry you out?
Id have to agree here.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shamson5.7
Id have to agree here.
Forgive me for trolling, but...I've seen some posts you've made about enlisting as a TACP. First of all, in reference to your pull ups post and becoming a softy...take some initiative and keep it from happening. Use the bunks in your barracks as pull up bars or do dips on them. It's not the perfect solution but you can make do if you don't have any other way. If you have to use a bunk to do pull ups, you wont have the room (height) to do good pull ups so do lots and lots of assisted pull ups.

The new thing in AF basic for TACP/PJ/CCT and maybe even some other career fields that I don't pay attention to is the Battlefield Airmen Flights. They lump these careerfields together in basic so they can train a little harder. If you do enlist as a TACP you will have to go to the Prep course also after BMT. It's only a week so it's not going to do much to get you where you need to be but it will let you know where you are if that makes sense. The bottom line, if you aren't getting the physical training you need, take some initiative or tell your instructors. Your flight may hate you if you do the latter but...you'll get more PT.

On to the 330 pound thing. No one wants to carry someone that heavy...but you could be that guy. I don't know anything about you, but being a JTAC I have some knowledge...if you go with the info that the average guy weights 150 (I think that's probably a little on the light side for most TACPs) add body armor, ammo and weapons at 40 pounds and a ruck of 80-100+ pounds...you are right around the 300 pound mark. All I'm saying with that is...go back up to that initiative. Take it upon yourself to be in the best shape possible...regardless of how cheesy the AF PT test is.

I would be careful to throw comments out there about how you feel about carrying someone that heavy when you will have to carry your own weight.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IH8EVRY1
Forgive me for trolling, but...I've seen some posts you've made about enlisting as a TACP.
Well I ended up getting Fire Protection instead of TACP. That doesnt mean I wont do my best to stay in shape, but it alleviates the worry of going directly to the schoolhouse after basic. Still planning to do TACP in a year or 2.

I see where you are coming from and perhaps I was a bit hasty to make a comment about it.

FWIW Im on the smaller side, 5'8" 150lbs. Now I havent gone through anything as physically demanding as any of the spec ops, but I carry myself very well.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shamson5.7
Well I ended up getting Fire Protection instead of TACP. That doesnt mean I wont do my best to stay in shape, but it alleviates the worry of going directly to the schoolhouse after basic. Still planning to do TACP in a year or 2.

I see where you are coming from and perhaps I was a bit hasty to make a comment about it.

FWIW Im on the smaller side, 5'8" 150lbs. Now I havent gone through anything as physically demanding as any of the spec ops, but I carry myself very well.
best of luck to ya man! No worries on the comment, just realize that we (TACPs) tend to be heavier on a battlefield than your average soldier with all the crap we carry.

Have fun in fire protection. I hear its a fun career field. learn what you can and good luck with cross training if you decide to do that. If you need any advice when you do, remember Romad.com or you can hit me up. I'll probably be in it for another 15-20 years if i can be.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

this new standar is a joke, made the 90s easier but the 100 harder to get, still Im testing this month and Im sitting here eating some dominos pizza with ham and bacon on it, of course a budweiser on the side
Old 10-20-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gorge
this new standar is a joke, made the 90s easier but the 100 harder to get, still Im testing this month and Im sitting here eating some dominos pizza with ham and bacon on it, of course a budweiser on the side

Yeah, it is a joke..but oh well, smoked that PT test and got an overall score of 86.5.

Not sure how a guy under 30 only does 35 pushups and then runs a 19 minute 1.5 mile..WTF..
Old 10-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smaruska
I just took the new PFT for the first time today. I cannot BELIEVE how many fat pieces of crap there are in my squadron. IMO, the new test makes it EASIER to pass and even if you don't agree, 33 pushups, 42 situps, 39" waist and a 13:36 run is NOT a hard thing to accomplish with even light PT. Those are the bare minimums and will net you a 75.9 score. You need 75 to pass... (this is the male under 30 test).

Anyway our squadron commander is about to jump out a window because of all the failures, we had 3 or 4 this morning out of 20 of us and my shop has had 2 in the last week. Our brother squadron over on the KC-10 (I'm maintenance) side has already implemented mandatory 5 day a week PT for PT failures on their own time AND the supervisor has to show up too and it looks like our squadron is going the same way. I already told my troop if he fails I'm going to make his life a living hell until he passes and I'm not even joking.

Anyone else seeing the same sort of trend with the AF? I know our PT is still a joke and under the old system there were WAY too many people getting their scores fudged but this is getting ridiculous.

I passed with a stunning 83.6 btw. I know I'm not in the best shape either but some of these ppl... wow...
I just got out of the Army where PT was everyday...Just really funny how you guys bitch about doing PT everyday.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

I will say this about yall touting the skinny folks... being an aircrew fella myself, you skinny toothpick folks scare me.. If something happens to my plane I want someone who actually has some weight/strength around that can pull me out... the 32" 150lb image that the AF seems to be seeking isnt it. I think that they need to keep the PT test to something at least slightly practical.

Running a mile and a half in 9 min...super, can you get the eff out of dodge with 80lbs of gear on your back?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Teching In

I am in the Army and I think the PT is a joke there as well. The PT is not at all geared towards real combat. Who where's these tight small shorts and t-shirt in combat? Why do we need to run 2miles at all?

There should be quick runs of no more than 100 yards. There should be a dead lift standard as well. I am sorry but I dont want 130lb private trying to carry a wounded soldier out of harms way.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Don't agree with the crazy sit-up requirements of the new PT test. 35 push-ups but 42 sit-ups? I think upper body is a little more important or they should be about the same. Oh well, only person in the Unit to get 100%. Our triathalon person missed 100% by half a push-up about 45% of the Unit passed the test, like 70% failed do to sit-ups, 25% run, and 5% waist. No one failed on push ups.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AWD_Launch
Don't agree with the crazy sit-up requirements of the new PT test. 35 push-ups but 42 sit-ups? I think upper body is a little more important or they should be about the same. Oh well, only person in the Unit to get 100%. Our triathalon person missed 100% by half a push-up about 45% of the Unit passed the test, like 70% failed do to sit-ups, 25% run, and 5% waist. No one failed on push ups.

Thats what im saying. what is the point of having these requirements and then still failing even if you have a 75% or above.. really stupid honestly.

Also being in the norther tier base, the altitude up here blows. The air force did away with altitude because the AF felt that your body should be acclimated to the altitude after being here for atleast a year.. that is a bunch of BS.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

one year of the new PFT...

hows everyone doing with it? haha.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd like to have stayed in just to watch every one fail.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
I'd like to have stayed in just to watch every one fail.
and a lot are...we just lost someone in are flight because they couldn't pass, and we might lose another in the near future.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Im not fat, but tall. Im 6'3 205 lbs and have loooong arms. Its VERY hard for me on the pushups. 90 degrees is a bitch for me! I can do 60 situps and the last test i did i got 25 p/u. I run a 12:30. I have failed 2 test and my CC is ******* with me hardcore. I understand the AF PT program and how its needed for various reasons, but let me tell you this, if my squadron/flight lost me, all hell would brake loose due to the knowledge i have for the job. not trying to sound cocky, but its true. I have been doing a **** ton of pushups for the last 75 days and I hope I pass next time. Some people just need to train while others have more athleticism. Just my 02.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
and a lot are...we just lost someone in are flight because they couldn't pass, and we might lose another in the near future.
Hmm, wonder if they'd take me back. I left willingly with a honorable discharge.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
one year of the new PFT...

hows everyone doing with it? haha.
its a joke, easier than before.

ran ours in december in the rain, 14mph winds and 35 degrees. got a 99.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

I've got to admit, not being in the regular Air Force for a while, I'm embarrassed to see fellow service members when I'm with my team mates that I work with. Our unit PTs five times a week, and our commander has told us, unless we have more pressing matters at work, we're authorized six hours a day to pt. We have a 12-mile ruck march standard, and for fun he had my team join him completing the central Florida Ragnar (202 mile relay). So on average, my team PTs 9-10 times a week. Usually 4-6 miles in the morning, and an hour of weight lifting at lunch. So, yeah, I find it sad to see people in the military that can't even pass a basic test of physical fitness, especially when they know what the standard is well before they have to be tested. As a side note, I've taken the PT tests from all the branches- ran a 13:15 for the two mile at airborne school (they cut you off when you meet the minimum push-ups and sit-ups), 284 on the Marine CFT not trying, scored a 97.9 on the AFPT test not trying, and the last time I ran a 5k, my time was 20:50. I didn't try on my last pt test because they told us the day before and it was the day before Christmas leave, so I was a little annoyed at the coordinator. Hope I didn't **** anyone off too bad, but that's honestly how I feel. Whoever I supervise when I go back to the regular Air Force is really going to hate me

Quick Reply: AF new PT testing, who else has a squadron full of fatties?