Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

National Guard or ROTC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default National Guard or ROTC?

Is it unwise to go guard before I start school in January? I'm for the most part worried it could delay the start of school in January.

For the most part I've been dismissed by the two NG recruiters I've spoken to. I don't so much blame them.. Being a recruiter isn't easy and helping someone for nothing isn't for everyone.

When I spoke to a CPT at the schools ROTC it was informative, but a fire hose of information. If I don't get any answers from you guys I'll contact him again.

Thanks mucho!

Last edited by KrisXpc; 10-22-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

If you go Guard you won't start school in January. Basic and AIT combined will probably take a good course of half a year depending on your MoS. If you go into Basic tomorrow, you'll be looking at enrolling for fall semesters.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agree, as a drill sgt i can tell you if you can just do rotc for now and try bct next summer or when you get done with school. plus with rotc you will be cmon in at a higher rank. I know high schoolers can do it but not sure for college guys but split-op is another option which allows you to go to basic and wait awhile before ait
Old 10-27-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

if i wear you go gaurd first, just for the simple fact that you get your feet wet with the military first. then if you like it continue your career and possible attend rotc further down the road.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Disagree, get feet wet with rotc (learn to march, wear and appereance of uiform, some land nav, new pt, mmd's, first aid) then if you like it you go to bct and not look like a total dumbass (95% of new recruits) and be a leader

Last edited by WS6SP33D; 10-27-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:05 PM
NKAWTG...N

I'd check and see if you can do both.

I know plenty of my Army buddies who joined a guard unit and were non-deployable after they contracted in ROTC.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:26 AM
On The Tree

I did three semesters of college and dropped out to join the Guard and put off going back to (a different) college until I got back from AIT, but it's not like I really had a choice of when to start college again. Starting college then stopping to do an Army school, well, I wouldn't recommend. Get the Army Training finished then go to college then talk to ROTC. After your initial entry training (IET) you'll have a much better understanding of what you want to do and where you want to go with your future and with the Army. Your IET will give you more confidence when you do start college, and it will give you a base of knowledge when/if you talk to the ROTC cadre.

I did Guard for three years then started ROTC toward the end of my college career right after 9/11, and I feel I made the best decision I could have at the time. I had the GI Bill and my drill pay, then totalling about $550 a month, then my monthly stipend from ROTC (without my drill pay since I got out of the guard). It doesn't sound like a lot, but to a college student who lived in the dorms and ate at the cafeteria 3x a day, it was plenty.

If you contract ROTC, you will be nondeployable, but don't worry. If you do commission, you will deploy to somewhere, someday.

Regarding the statement about being a recruit and not knowing anything, I would not worry. ALL basic trainees go through that period in their training. I would rather go through IET and be jacked up, then learn what to do rather than showing up to ROTC and looking jacked up. Reason being? Well, you'll spend 10 weeks with the IET, but you'll spend FOUR YEARS with ROTC, and first impressions are paramount. Being squard away in ROTC will assist you with your cadre trusting your leadership abilities, which will help you get selected by the branch (officer MOS like Chemical, Armor, Infantry, Quartermaster and so on) YOU want.

You can do both Guard and ROTC, it is called SMP (simultaineous membership program). While in the Guard, if you are a contracted Cadet, you will be paid as an E-5 or a Sergeant. Now, your Guard leadership can have you doing a multitude of duties. They may have you in your enlisted position, or you may get trained as a platoon leader and work with the officers in your Guard unit. I have seen it both ways.

Endstate: You're going to go to college, you're going to graduate, you want to be in the military. Why not do it all at the same time and get your college paid for, maybe not all of it, but more so than if you don't.

You may find out while you're in the Guard that you don't like the military, that will keep you from commiting to ROTC. Or, if you love the military, take an active duty scholarship from ROTC and get out of the guard and commission on the same day you graduate college.

Take this information, talk to the ROTC guys and see what they think. If they see that you are truly interested, they may award you a scholarship sooner rather than later. Also talk with the Guard recruiters. If they will not give you the time of day, remember this: The Army is at full capasity and we are thinning out the force. They need to know you mean business. Exude that.

If you have questions, feel free to PM me. I have seen both sides, and I am currently a commander dealing with everything from the new privates to the new lieutenants.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

Originally Posted by SmokinAce
Disagree, get feet wet with rotc (learn to march, wear and appereance of uiform, some land nav, new pt, mmd's, first aid) then if you like it you go to bct and not look like a total dumbass (95% of new recruits) and be a leader
yes, this is a very good point as well...

Quick Reply: National Guard or ROTC?