Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Security Clearance. "Secret" question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I have a TS full sci/yankee white. i had to sell my soul and investigators investigated everything and everyone i know.. good luck.. pm me if you have any more q's
Old 12-23-2010, 06:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have known or know a few people with secret, a few that have had top, and one with an elevated secret. I may end up with a secret at some point due to my line of work.

Everyone will tell you like they allready have to be 100% honest and you will be fine, they tend to go after the people that have something they are hiding because chances are they are hiding more.

I would not be to worried about a secret.

For the elevated secret the papwerwork was like half an inch thick, this person had to get addresses back at least 10 years (this all may be standard thought) and one address ended up being 1 didget off and they caught it and made him do it all over again (all of it).... it was fixed and that person got the clearance.

A former neighbor of mine applied for what I think was a top..... they had a guy come to our house asking about him. I was honest and told him I did not know much about the guy but that he was fairly quiet but not in a creepy way, did not throw huge parties and seemed like a hard worker and that was all I knew.

If you have something to hide and don't mention it or even just forget to mention something they will find out.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Alright it doesnt sound as bad as i thought. Does everyone go through that personal interview with the investigator for a "secret" clearance?

and when would i expect to go through it? Will i be given the clearance before my actual training? Like i said in the beginning, im in my "A" school. Its not like your normal traditional A school. Then i go to my C school which is far from your normal job. i think thats what it would be. i dont know, im new to all this. any help from some older vets would be great. sorry for all the questions
Old 12-25-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
Alright it doesnt sound as bad as i thought. Does everyone go through that personal interview with the investigator for a "secret" clearance?

and when would i expect to go through it? Will i be given the clearance before my actual training? Like i said in the beginning, im in my "A" school. Its not like your normal traditional A school. Then i go to my C school which is far from your normal job. i think thats what it would be. i dont know, im new to all this. any help from some older vets would be great. sorry for all the questions

Yes, you will meet with a investigator. They pretty much will just sit down and talk to you. They will ask you stuff like how long you been living in a certain location, people who you came in contact with. Just be honest.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

I have a TS/SCI for 20 years and currently "read on" with six tickets. Don't worry about it and make sure you disclose it when you have your interview. Its not that big of a deal from a adjudication stand point but make sure you declare it.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Teching In

for ts/SCI they just contacted my old neighbors, friends,and old employers. just make sure you dont lie. the paper work is the worst part.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

the tickets are nothing to worry about i did the same thing just disclosed to them in the interview i had them and it was not a big deal
Old 01-13-2011, 02:29 AM
On The Tree

Tickets are no biggie man.....just remember...it was a written warning....if they ASK....tell them straight up....not a big deal at all though otherwise....I work out at China Lake and when I was driving down to a "rescue det" in Lemoore I had a cop give me a ticket for "89++" in my old trailblazer SS.....I told the people that I report to (security wise).....they told me don't worry about it even though it was OVER the ticket amount of money that they require you to report......there is actually a dollar amount that you are SUPPOSED to report a ticket if it costs you more than.....I can't remember how much the EXACT money amount was.....
All in all man....like the other people said....don't even trip....but mark my words....if you get strapped to the pollygraph (no bull)....tell them the truth....don't try and risk the BS.....they want to make sure that they can trust you.....not bust you for smoking a joint when you were 15....or J-walking when you were 16.....is anyone with me here?
Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

shoot, i needed my secret for my job in iraq and BOOM, got one with no interviews, no paperwork, nada, and have had it ever since. they are given out mostly out of necessity. just dont screw it up and youll be ok.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Youll be fine. I got my Secret with an arrest on my record. What they mostly look for is financial problems. The idea behind it is that youll get in such dire straights that youll sell launch codes to the soviets or some weirdness.
Youre good to go. Getting a Secret is easier than it really should be.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

I was interviewed for a friends top secret clearance a couple years ago. The interviewer showed up at my work and they had me go to a vacant office with this big bald guy in a suit, he showed me his badge and I froze for a few seconds thinkin oh god wth did I do? Lol The interview was pretty simple and he just asked some basic questions about him and then some that made no sense at all. It was a pretty easy and laid back interview and he got the clearance no problem. Not a big deal for those who get interviewed for you just so you know
Old 01-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Launching!

If you're only going for a secret clearance, you shouldn't have to do a personal interview with an investigator unless something out of the ordinary showed up on the initial investigation....could be something very simple like your SSN being typed wrong somewhere or someone putting the wrong SSN on a file of unfavorable information. Personal interviews are reserved for TS clearances. The ticket isn't an issue at all, they may ask about it and if they do, be up front and honest, but I wouldn't worry about it all. In ten years you'll have to do a periodic reinvestigation that will only go back 7 years. All active duty members are required to maintain a secret level clearance, and big brother does watch you between investigation dates. You can be discharged for failing to maintain your clearance if you don't comply with the conditions to have it reinstated.

I work as a Security Manager in my unit and have seen people have their clearances revoked for financial problems, but it was usually for failing to make payments and accounts going to collection agencies. Long story short, I wouldn't be worried unless you have someting to hide in the first place. If you're on the up and up and straight forward, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Quick Reply: Security Clearance. "Secret" question