Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Security Clearance. "Secret" question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Security Clearance. "Secret" question

How in depth do these investigators go into my background? Im currently in the Navy been out of boot for about 1.5 months. At my "A" school right now if you wanna call it that. The job im going for requires a "secret" security clearance. I think i also have to do a personal interview with them for that clearance.

I filled out that national security form 86 packet back when i was with my recruiter. With all the detailed info. I recently remembered I forgot to mention a written warning i got for speeding 2yrs ago. Is this gonna bite me in the *** later when they do a record check?

I know a warning isnt a big deal but i dont know how strict they are for not telling them everything. And if they will deny me my clearance. should i just tell them about the warning during the interview and not stress out about this? I just dont want to mess up this oppurtunity i have and be sent to the fleet stuck on a ship.

any advice from military guys who went through this process. let me know.

Last edited by Badazz 97 TA; 12-16-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'll be fine on that.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

don't worry. They know all about it. Just read it here...
Old 12-16-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Vexzer
what do you mean?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

I have a secret clearance......Honestly they can go as deep as they want. IF you look clean on top to say....why dig deeper? They wont. ONE thing that bites most guys in the ***.......MONEY. If you have bad credit, you wont get one. I am not talking a late payment on your score, I mean a repo....foreclosure....thousands of bucks in debt, and beleave it or not a divorce could get a current one revoked if it leaves you in a financial hardship. TOP secret goes real deep. thats when they look DEEP in to you, ask your friends and neighbors questions. ALSO depends on your command, they may look as deep as they want. But it cost them money to do so. As far as your ticket....I wouldnt worry it. You can report it, or not, Its your career and your conscious. One of my guys was hated by our platoon sgt, got divorced, left him $40k in debt. PSG had the powers that be run an "anual check" on him KNOWING his new debt, and had his clearance yanked. Only took about 2 weeks. So just cause you get one, you can loose it just as quick. I wouldnt tell ANYONE about this. Even your mom. but thats me

Also, guys in my unit get tickets all the time. Everytime they do, we have to here all about it. DUI will get it taken away.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are concerned about you can just tell them you forgot to list it and they will add it. Its not a reason to deny a clearance though.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one as well. Integrity is a big deal - if they ask a question and you honestly don't remember, just say "I don't remember" as oppose to lying or trying to sugar coat. Like mentioned above, stay cool and don't give em a reason to dig deeper because they can and will. Feel free to PM if you have any questions
Old 12-17-2010, 02:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vexzer
Big brother knows all.....
Old 12-17-2010, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
what do you mean?
Seriously -You don't think they are watching your activity here!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had clearance awhile back but no issues here. My recruiters back in the day even helped me pass a couple test cuz I was"hot".
Answering truthfully you'll be okay. I have a shady circle from my old neighborhood yet it didn't effect me as I never had a record
Old 12-17-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zerogravity779
I have a secret clearance......Honestly they can go as deep as they want. IF you look clean on top to say....why dig deeper? They wont. ONE thing that bites most guys in the ***.......MONEY. If you have bad credit, you wont get one. I am not talking a late payment on your score, I mean a repo....foreclosure....thousands of bucks in debt, and beleave it or not a divorce could get a current one revoked if it leaves you in a financial hardship. TOP secret goes real deep. thats when they look DEEP in to you, ask your friends and neighbors questions. ALSO depends on your command, they may look as deep as they want. But it cost them money to do so. As far as your ticket....I wouldnt worry it. You can report it, or not, Its your career and your conscious. One of my guys was hated by our platoon sgt, got divorced, left him $40k in debt. PSG had the powers that be run an "anual check" on him KNOWING his new debt, and had his clearance yanked. Only took about 2 weeks. So just cause you get one, you can loose it just as quick. I wouldnt tell ANYONE about this. Even your mom. but thats me

Also, guys in my unit get tickets all the time. Everytime they do, we have to here all about it. DUI will get it taken away.

cool. makes me feel better about this. everything else is clean with me. I dont have bad credit or any thing of that nature. just the one warning i didnt mention. no crminal activity. just wasnt sure how this all works. they try and scare you in boot about all this stuff that will happen if you dont tell them everything. so i was just curious.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Racin'Z28
Big brother knows all.....
Yup, now they know that you know that you are being watched....
Old 12-17-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
cool. makes me feel better about this. everything else is clean with me. I dont have bad credit or any thing of that nature. just the one warning i didnt mention. no crminal activity. just wasnt sure how this all works. they try and scare you in boot about all this stuff that will happen if you dont tell them everything. so i was just curious.
The life style polygraphs are the ones you would worry about when getting a clearance. They ask if you have sex with hookers etc. Not making this up. Happened to a guy in Korea. They busted him for participating in Human trafficking...
Old 12-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A DUI won't get it taken away, many people in my platoon have gotten DUI's, and they all still have a secret clearance.

All I had to do for my clearance was answer a few basic questions, a multiple choice "life" test and that was it. T/S is where they actually go deeper, have you answer more psychological questions and will speak to people.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:05 PM
9 Second Club

I'm not in the military, but do carry a DHS Secret clearance. A coworker of mine has several dui's, and he got his clearance with no issues. Like the others have said, just be honest, and you'll be fine. Good Luck, and thanks for serving.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

is that all, a written warring!?! you'll be fine, it's what your friend's friends tell the investigator that you have to be worried about...
Old 12-17-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

man, i hear they only do clearance checks going back to 7 years now? if so, than good.. cuz all my stuff will be all military..
Old 12-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Launching!

lol, i got my TS and forgot a couple of tickets. don't worry man
Old 12-20-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Just about everyone and their mother can get a SECRET clearance. They skim the top looking for anything out of the ordinary. If nothing catches their eye, you're good.

As most have said, TS//SCI is much harder to attain as well as keep. They dig VERY deep and it's quite time consuming. Then you move onto Polygraphs, etc.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
man, i hear they only do clearance checks going back to 7 years now? if so, than good.. cuz all my stuff will be all military..
Heard the same, when I did mine they were still going back 10 years and its a PAI trying to remember/dig up addresses and such. It is sort of easy to get a SC but as stated above it gets pretty **** when going for TSC+.

Quick Reply: Security Clearance. "Secret" question