Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

trying to get back in....need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trying to get back in....need some advice

so i got out of the army august 1st 2008.....i absolutley hate being out. now im trying to get back in cause being a civilian sucks *****.

the only thing that is stopping me is im over BMI. im at 27 % and only allowed 22%.... i've been cutting weight like crazy. i went from 270 in september down to my current 231 as of this morning at 0400. current measurement are 43" in waist and a 18" in neck.

im stuck bouncing between 229 and 232. i've been working and talking with a recrutier. messing with the bmi calculator i need too lose 3" so i can get down to a 40 " waist.

my question is whats the fastest way to lose those 3" or more from my waist?

i know sit ups and crunches. been knocking those out like crazy on top of running and continuing my diet.

please any advice would greatly be appreciated

and yes i know i cant spell. (infantry) lol
Old 12-27-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dayum... I caught all kinds of chit for having a 34in waist... I can only imagine what you're hearing

unless you're doing 1000+/day, I'd lay off the crunches

its all about calories in vs calories out. obviously keep running and doing cardio but you're diet will affect your waist size more than anything else
Old 12-27-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Diet + 60 minutes of cardio a day will kill weight quick. No soda, only drink water, count your calories, shoot for a minumum of 1200 calories and if you want to cut weight quick no more than 1500. That plus that much hard cardio will kill a few pounds a week.

Last edited by brad8266; 12-27-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ETS or chapter? It's getting pretty tough to get back in right now, depending on your old MOS and grade you might not even be able to get back in...see your recruiter soon see what the current prior service USAREC message says but either way keep up the weigh loss and good luck to you!
Old 01-01-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdave619
so i got out of the army august 1st 2008.....i absolutley hate being out. now im trying to get back in cause being a civilian sucks *****.

the only thing that is stopping me is im over BMI. im at 27 % and only allowed 22%.... i've been cutting weight like crazy. i went from 270 in september down to my current 231 as of this morning at 0400. current measurement are 43" in waist and a 18" in neck.

im stuck bouncing between 229 and 232. i've been working and talking with a recrutier. messing with the bmi calculator i need too lose 3" so i can get down to a 40 " waist.

my question is whats the fastest way to lose those 3" or more from my waist?

i know sit ups and crunches. been knocking those out like crazy on top of running and continuing my diet.

please any advice would greatly be appreciated

and yes i know i cant spell. (infantry) lol
You and me both man. I went reserves in 08 myself and it was ok for about a year but after that... NO. Now dont get me wrong, if i could go AGR that would be the **** but i want to travel and whatnot still. I gotta lose some reserve weight myself. But like everyones always gonna tell you.. diet and lots of exersise. Once you get into a routine for exercise thats easy. If your like me (a tanker lol) and love food, the diet is the MF. keep trying. Maybe ill meet you on the other side one day lol
Old 01-08-2011, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Cardio and alot of it will make you lose inches way before doing crunches will
Old 01-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Mountaiin bike up the face of a mountain
2X per week

Lift some weight

Eat lean,

Make a start
Old 01-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Teching In

I had some similar problems with the new AF PT standards but it's possible to drop inches fast.

I agree with the above comments, just keep your calorie intake to under 1500 and run.... not like 15 min, like 45 min. I did Insanity, that helped me lose the inches last year. Also be careful with doing too many crunches.

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mtinkle
I had some similar problems with the new AF PT standards but it's possible to drop inches fast.

I agree with the above comments, just keep your calorie intake to under 1500 and run.... not like 15 min, like 45 min. I did Insanity, that helped me lose the inches last year. Also be careful with doing too many crunches.

Good luck!
+1 on that man. AND yeah whoever thought that you lose more weight by doing a million situps and crunches everyday was a retard. A muscle is a muscle regardless of where its located. If you do alot of arm curls, your arms are gonna get bigger. If you do alot of ab exercises.... what do you think? just look at Jay cutler and that other Big guy Ronny on the Body buildin Magazines. Thats a whole lot of muscle.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:34 AM
Teching In

one big problem with sit ups is they make your abs swollen which make your stomach bigger. but like everyone else cardio is where its at for fat loss the best way is running run in the morning and the evening but when you run jog for a few min the sprint for 30 sec or so just keep doing that will burn more calories. also theres a site called calorie count you can join that site and keep track of all your progress. good luck getting back in.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

a quick way to loose inches... your body cuts fat where there is pressure. as retarded has it sounds, if you take a wrap and wrap it tightly around your stomach/waist while you're running or even just wearing it around throughout most of the day will help quite a bit. Also, if you're big on drinking a lot of soda, cut that **** out of the diet
Old 01-16-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the Marines in Marine Combat Training we were given 3 MREs a day and no one ever said that there are enough calories for a whole day in EACH. SO when I joined MCCC in Ft. Sill on Halloween day, I barely fit in my tan long sleeve shirt. It was spreading between the buttons and thankfully the green blouse covered that and the tie covered the fact I couldn't button the top one! They told us that the tan shirt was gonna be the uniform of the day for Thanksgiving. I started taking Xenedrine EFX as directed (2 in the am and 2 around mid-day). The only exercise was our morning PT (2-4 miles running, side straddle hops, pushups, crunches and pull ups for a total of an hour.) I didn't even change my diet and that shirt fit loose for the Thanksgiving chow-call! Try a supplement if you've hit a plateau. I'll call out Xenedrine as a good one.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious, why do you say it sucks in the civilian side? Have trouble finding employment? Or you talking about that you just like the military way of life vs that of civilian?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Just curious, why do you say it sucks in the civilian side? Have trouble finding employment? Or you talking about that you just like the military way of life vs that of civilian?
Hell, it's hard to find a job, it's hard to get good benefits, it's hard to find trust-worthy people that you work with, it's hard to find the comeraderie, you have to be SO uptight at work about jokes, goofing around and are always on a tight thread of racism and sexual harassment, if you need something at work it's a BIG corporate issue to get it... LOL Need more reasons?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

My biggest advice is tracking your workouts, and monitoring your weight. My old unit was BIG on chaptering guys out for weight.. I took a lot of time to help my guys lose the extra weight.

I would say do and initial weigh in.(eat normal the night before and weigh in before breakfast)
Start your daily workout with some cardio and do a high paced workout with very little rest in between sets. The biggest thing would be to do a circuit training type of workout so you cut fat and weight throughout your whole body. This is a very wide picture, but my two guys did great one lose over 60 lbs in 12 months and the other lost about 30 lbs.
If you need more help let me know man.

Quick Reply: trying to get back in....need some advice