Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Working on joining USMC!! Have some questions... Update: 6/1/11

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if they would allow you to do that or not. I know that when I was in, it was 4 years of what you originally signed up for. After your 4 year contract, you can re-up and do a lat move. I don't think they will let you change jobs in the middle of a contract because they would have to send you through another MOS school. Maybe certain fields will though, I don't know.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
Hey, i need your guys' opinion!!!
I am pretty much one foot in the marines already, about to do the physical and everything and sign the contract wednesday! The job that is available that is 3531 so i got locked into that position as of today. I misunderstood a bit and want a 3521 position. My recruiter told me that if i sign the contract with 3531 positon, i can filll out the form where as soon as 3521 becomes available, i can take that spot...

Can i do that??? I will take my bro who was EX army with me at the day of contract signing.

Oh, and 3531 is a vehicle transport with basic mechanic knowledge, but 3521 is an actual mechanic by the way.
The Marines doesn't enlist people to specific MOSs. For example, I enlisted for infantry but it was full. My second choice was tanks. Tanks falls under Combat Service Support which includes tank operators, low altitude air defense, and several 08** jobs like forward observer, cannoneer and fire direction controller. The Corps will then choose where you go. My first day of boot camp the DI read our MOSs off and I was a tanker. The last few days they did it again and I was 0811 cannoneer.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiat34
The Marines doesn't enlist people to specific MOSs. For example, I enlisted for infantry but it was full. My second choice was tanks. Tanks falls under Combat Service Support which includes tank operators, low altitude air defense, and several 08** jobs like forward observer, cannoneer and fire direction controller. The Corps will then choose where you go. My first day of boot camp the DI read our MOSs off and I was a tanker. The last few days they did it again and I was 0811 cannoneer.

...unless you're a reservist
Old 04-29-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, wednesday is my final day to face the contract! Im very excited actually and feel like i have fucked up by not doing this after high school...

******* did the physical today... damn that **** was dreadful lol! ******* Duck walk hahahaha, all of the recruits and me were laughing our ***** off, and many people couldnt take a **** test in front of the inspector lol!!! I was at MEPS from 4am to about 2 pm... ******* sucks! But i know i will face way waaaaaaaaaayy worse days in the basic hahah.

Oh and seems to me that a majority of people are signing for the army nowadays. Including me, there were like 4 other marine recruits with me that are graduating high school and going in lol. Even though at 21, i was the oldest marine recruit in my group there
Old 04-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Teching In

You get used to peeing in front of other people. The first shower in basic is the worst lol. Have fun in the marines. I had a guaranteed job when I joined but I can't speak for you guys. That hardcore lifestyle just isn't for me but I will say that Camp Pendleton is a beautiful base. My cousin is stationed out there working on airplanes and he likes it.

Don't get married to the first chick you meet after basic, take a thing of baby wipes and if you get heat rash putting deodorant on it helps thats is the only advice I got.

Last edited by Morphine; 04-29-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Morphine
You get used to peeing in front of other people. The first shower in basic is the worst lol. Have fun in the marines. I had a guaranteed job when I joined but I can't speak for you guys. That hardcore lifestyle just isn't for me but I will say that Camp Pendleton is a beautiful base. My cousin is stationed out there working on airplanes and he likes it.

Don't get married to the first chick you meet after basic, take a thing of baby wipes and if you get heat rash putting deodorant on it helps thats is the only advice I got.
thanx man! i thought i had a shy bladder and was kinda worried about that a bit lol, till today **** it, i gotta get used to it anyway... Im honestly looking forward to joining and who knows, maybe ill sign up active.

About the chick situation, i actually started seeing a chick couple of weeks ago and been starting to get serious with her... But the thing is... i havent told her that im about to enlist lol... Imma have to break it to her 2 weeks before i ship out i guess...
Old 04-30-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

To other marine members out here... Is the specific MOS training in the Corps. any good? By that i meant if i score my desired 3521 Engine mechanic position that is...
Will i learn how to rebuilt an engine? etc. etc.

TO get more technical, which is better for me?? 3521 or 3531?? Please fill me in MARINES!!!!!!

I really love driving AND working on cars!!!!! Cars are pretty much the reason i have a job as immature as it may sound!
Old 04-30-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanx man! i thought i had a shy bladder and was kinda worried about that a bit lol, till today **** it, i gotta get used to it anyway... Im honestly looking forward to joining and who knows, maybe ill sign up active.

About the chick situation, i actually started seeing a chick couple of weeks ago and been starting to get serious with her... But the thing is... i havent told her that im about to enlist lol... Imma have to break it to her 2 weeks before i ship out i guess...
Alright, I let it out. The saying in the Marine Corps is if the Corps wanted you to have a girlfriend, then they would issue you one. Dude, you might go to several different places, and meet several different people. I never tied myself up in a relationship because it's too hard to keep up with, especially a long distance relationship. Just go and enjoy yourself. Trust me, there will be plenty of women out there that you will meet.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

To other Marine members out here... Is the specific MOS training in the Corps. any good? By that i meant if i score my desired 3521 Engine mechanic position that is...

TO get more technical, which is better for me?? 3521 or 3531?? Please fill me in MARINES!!!!!!

I really love driving AND working on cars!!!!! Cars are pretty much the reason i have a job as immature as it may sound!
Fixed the word Marine for ya. Sorry, but the multiquote option isn't working for me for some reason.

The MOS schools are pretty basic teachings. You will learn more in the Fleet then you will in you MOS school. At least that's how it was for me.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For the Marine Corps sake could you atleast use the term "Marines" correctly and capital it. I mean you want to be one, please take pride and spell it correctly.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you, sir! Def answered my questions!
Old 04-30-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

aarrahh
Old 04-30-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

also, you're not a recruit until you've stood on the yellow footprints. Until then, you're a poolee
Old 04-30-2011, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ this is true.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
For the Marine Corps sake could you atleast use the term "Marines" correctly and capital it. I mean you want to be one, please take pride and spell it correctly.
Sir, this poolee misspelled the word Marines, due to typing with his cellphone, sir!
Old 04-30-2011, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

To other marine members out here... Is the specific MOS training in the Corps. any good? By that i meant if i score my desired 3521 Engine mechanic position that is...

You are looking at operating or maintaining. As an operator you will drive and to bull **** maintenance that the mechanics are over qualified to do.... As for what you will do in school. You will not rebuild engines until you go to your intermediate school a few years after being in. I went to my advanced school and ripped a 903 cumins down to the block, rebuilt it and dynoed it as well as the tranny. The new reserve jobs for FY2012 are becoming available now so you should have no problem getting the 3521, which is the one I would do if you want to work on stuff.

Last edited by jarheadtex; 05-01-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jarheadtex

You are looking at operating or maintaining. As an operator you will drive and to bull **** maintenance that the mechanics are over qualified to do.... As for what you will do in school. You will not rebuild engines until you go to your intermediate school a few years after being in. I went to my advanced school and ripped a 903 cumins down to the block, rebuilt it and dynoed it as well as the tranny. The new reserve jobs for FY2012 are becoming available now so you should have no problem getting the 3521, which is the one I would do if you want to work on stuff.
Thank you for a great advice there!!! I will try to push for that on wednesday. Even though im pretty motivated, i still feel very pressured on joining by my rectuiters. They are pretty much telling me this " if you dont sign on wednesday, we will not be able to extend the contract any longer"... something along those lines. Is there anything i should watch out for in that fine print, sir?
Old 05-01-2011, 02:34 AM
TECH Regular

Default advise from me to you...

get used to this...

you will be doing this exact thing... and i hope you remember this post of me telling you this.

you will look forward to thursdays...

do your self a favor and dont do this... if you do, remember... I WARNED YOU.

after boot camp... dont be this guy...

if you think any of this is bs, ask any Marine... if they are your true friends... they will warn you.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

fully understood!

just watched Ears, Open. Eyeballs, Click

Is todays Marine boot camp this way? Or even more intense?
Old 05-01-2011, 03:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well nowadays's its probably way more pussified than that ears,open movie you watched. marine corps has changed alot in just the 5.5 years ive been in. and not for the better i might add

Quick Reply: Working on joining USMC!! Have some questions... Update: 6/1/11