Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Working on joining USMC!! Have some questions... Update: 6/1/11

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OP have you ever thought about Air Traffic Control? You could easily get into that MOS as there is always a need. Good training to get you a job on the outside immediately as well.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To tell you the truth, I will not be picky with any reserve position that comes around. I feel like if I start being picky, that's when I can **** off my recruiter's boss. But I will definitely look up on various position when time comes to choose.

Oh and I'm pretty happy with myself, ever since MEPS I got weighed in at 170 lbs being 5'8, and now slimmed down to 165. I will push for 150-155 by the time I go to recruit training. But due to my torn lower back caused by my bike accident, i m still taking it easy
Old 06-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
To tell you the truth, I will not be picky with any reserve position that comes around. I feel like if I start being picky, that's when I can **** off my recruiter's boss. But I will definitely look up on various position when time comes to choose.

Oh and I'm pretty happy with myself, ever since MEPS I got weighed in at 170 lbs being 5'8, and now slimmed down to 165. I will push for 150-155 by the time I go to recruit training. But due to my torn lower back caused by my bike accident, i m still taking it easy
Don't worry about trimming down. It'll happen regardless.

Try the 26XX fields...and don't worry about pissing off your recruiter's boss. This is your job, this is your life, and this will be your next 4-5 years, and it's their job to get you a job. With a great ASVAB score, it's their job to get you an even better job.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dreadnought
Don't worry about trimming down. It'll happen regardless.

Try the 26XX fields...and don't worry about pissing off your recruiter's boss. This is your job, this is your life, and this will be your next 4-5 years, and it's their job to get you a job. With a great ASVAB score, it's their job to get you an even better job.
thanx for advice man, hopefully a good MOS will come along
But my concern is, i threw out my back 5 weeks back due to some heavy lifting and its not getting better... so i dont know how that will work out... Already visited a doctor who prescribed me some strong painkillers but they dont seem to work well...
Old 06-19-2011, 10:57 AM

My best advice for you would be to as best you can give your all to the Marines then get everything you can from them. Go to as many schools as you possibly can keep and scan all of your certificates try to find an MOS that would give you a clearance (trust me on this one).

My story....I was an 0331 and after two deployments was given the opportunity to spend my last year an a half in the S-4 as a part of training cadre. I became a coach and then during a the division shooting matches I guess I was good and won a medal ha ha.... went onto the Marine Corps Championships and did well and was offered onto the Marine Corps Shooting Team. I declined became a Marksmanship instructor got out and started contracting which is where the clearance came in and where I now sit.

So basically do not settle they will get theirs from you so you do the same. I am still pretty involved with my old unit as well as a local reserve one and have friends all over I know you are thinking 35xx but in all honesty all a 3531 is going to learn is 1st echelon maintenance and how to drive a MRAP/HUMVEE/7 Ton/ and maybe a LVS. a 3521 will have some skill set that would transfer over to the civilian sector as well be rewarding to learn personally. I did notice a bunch of Motor T Staff NCO's were prior drill field and that can be a pain as are many Staff NCO's from the 03xx field. The choice is up to you at the end of the day and only you know yourself the best just trying to toss a few pearls of wisdom from experience out there.

Boot Camp is a blast I went to P.I. and you will be a San Diego recruit which you will be a slightly less Marine but I will not hold that against you ha ha j/k but in all seriousness make be a leader and learn to be lead. WORK TOGETHER and you will get irritated but by both the instructors and fellow recruits do not let that overcome you see it as a leadership challenge and overcome it and bring that to the fleet. I will stop rambling get better with your back man and it will get better if not and you still wanna join get a big straw and start sucking my knees were a wreck from football and it never got better an certainly not while I was in.

Last edited by theconnect; 06-19-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:01 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by djfury05
OP have you ever thought about Air Traffic Control? You could easily get into that MOS as there is always a need. Good training to get you a job on the outside immediately as well.
NAS Pensacola was the best time I have ever had in my life. I was an "I" Level tech, my 2 room mates were ATC. Pensacola beach, Blackwater River, Panama Beach during Spring Break, good times.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ears, Open. Eyeballs, Click. - good ****

there's a Drill Instructor in that movie, Sgt Marquez, who was 8th and I and shows off a little - if you go 03xx, there's a good chance he'll be your combat instructor in ITB. Good guy

Quick Reply: Working on joining USMC!! Have some questions... Update: 6/1/11