Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Working on joining USMC!! Have some questions... Update: 6/1/11

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Working on joining USMC!! Have some questions... Update: 6/1/11

Hi fellas, well to start off, im 21 year old guy going on 22 soon, and pretty much been wanting to join either Army or Marines ever since high school, my bro was in the Army for 4 years so ive been wanting to get into the military as well, but something different with a bit more challenge (i know bootcamp will be brutal)... but then parents stepped in saying " no, go to college... blah blah" So i did that and obviously college is not my thing... and right now am very serious about joining USMC reserves (due to family situation) and my current job that pays me descently and has lots of great benefits.

I am pretty committed to this and feel like i should finally do this instead of just procrascinating with my life having no direction...

So i have a few questions:

I am about to take an ASVAB test on thursday and been reading a book but ****! there is a ton of material there, i mean i know my math and english but all that other mechanical/ electrical stuff seems pretty hard to me and guess what... those are the fields i want to get into in USMC, sort of like a mechanic or some job like that.

Based on my college credits, i will be going in as an E2 if i sign up, but last time ive been to college was 2 years ago and just been focusing on my current job

Anyone have any pointers on the ASVAB? what score would i need to get into a field that deals with mechanics, such as vehicles??????

Oh and on the side note, i did a quick pretest and physically qualify to join marines, the asvab is the one is the thing that kind of messing with me.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by black_phoenix; 06-01-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

I can't really offer you help on the ASVAB, I walked in and aced it. It's not that difficult to make a decent score, and for the jobs you're describing, you don't need very high scores. Motor T mechanic IIRC is cake to get into, so are most comm jobs. Is there a particular reason you want to do the mechanical / electrical jobs? You could get better training for that kind of thing at a community college or tech school. I'm asking because you will have a lot more fun and get more out of the Marines with more of a field MOS. I couldn't imagine going back as anything but artillery, and I turned down nukes and intel to stay with my howitzers. That's just my opinion.

Back to the ASVAB. General test taking tips apply. Don't read too much into the question. Go with your first impulse and don't change your answers. Use the process of elimination so that you can get it down to a 50:50 guess. ANSWER EVERY QUESTION!!! They'll be wrong one way or the other, and you may get a few lucky ones in.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

asvab is a joke.dont even sweat it.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanx guys, i will try my best, but im pretty much "one foot in" already... pretty stocked about joining!!!! Looking forward to that boot camp!!!!! I know imma hate it though
Old 04-26-2011, 04:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah marine boot camp is no picnic, but it's not the worst thing in the world. just do as your told and nothing more, move as fast as you can, and sound off. start running now also. we ran three miles every other day.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I aced it in 30 minutes. The mechanical as electrical stuff is basic, very basic. The math wasn't too difficult either. Since it's multiple choice it's easy to get a ballpark figure answer in your head and eliminate the 3 WAY OFF ones. I never touched my piece of scrap paper! Talk to your recruiter about a practice ASVAB. I also advocate for 0811 Artilleryman. We shoot the biggest guns on land, "if you can't truck it **** it", and then still get some infantry play too. Artillery is a moto job! I'll post a pic for you when I get in my laptop later!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jsteele90
yeah marine boot camp is no picnic, but it's not the worst thing in the world. just do as your told and nothing more, move as fast as you can, and sound off. start running now also. we ran three miles every other day.
i run at least 4 times a week and at least a mile an a half at a steady "9 minute pace" without being tired. I mainly focus on upper body, mainly lifting. But thats where i will ease off on it and run run run... oh and did i say run? Especially after i sign that contract.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Swiat34
I aced it in 30 minutes. The mechanical as electrical stuff is basic, very basic. The math wasn't too difficult either. Since it's multiple choice it's easy to get a ballpark figure answer in your head and eliminate the 3 WAY OFF ones. I never touched my piece of scrap paper! Talk to your recruiter about a practice ASVAB. I also advocate for 0811 Artilleryman. We shoot the biggest guns on land, "if you can't truck it **** it", and then still get some infantry play too. Artillery is a moto job! I'll post a pic for you when I get in my laptop later!
Yea, i have a book, i will skim through it and will not sweat it. Whatever happens... happens... **** it
Old 04-27-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's the pics I promised! Oh and "God fights on the side with the best Artillery!" OOhRAH!!
Attached Thumbnails Working on joining USMC!! Have some questions... Update: 6/1/11-okinawa-field-15-.jpg   Working on joining USMC!! Have some questions... Update: 6/1/11-grenade34.jpg   Working on joining USMC!! Have some questions... Update: 6/1/11-machinegunner.jpg   Working on joining USMC!! Have some questions... Update: 6/1/11-119-after-foot-patrol-sepulveda-jesse-smith-cpl-aguilar.jpg   Working on joining USMC!! Have some questions... Update: 6/1/11-m777-shot.jpg  

Last edited by Swiat34; 04-27-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

99 ASVAB and 147 GT score and I still chose 0311... still kicking myself for that one

on that note, ask your recruiter and he'll let you take all the practice exams you want

also, as far as jobs, its really dependent upon whats available at your closest reserve unit... your recruiter should be able to see whats open and give you a list to choose from... not like you can say "I want to be a Cobra mechanic" when you're reporting in to an Infantry unit...
Old 04-27-2011, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VinR1
99 ASVAB and 147 GT score
DAMN!!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was a 6114 which is a Huey/ Cobra flightline mechanic. I loved it and I now work on them as a civilian and still absolutely love it. I am also working on getting on orders to get up in the air on them. That would be a 6174 Huey Crew Chief. You get to hang out of a UH-1N and soon to be UH-1Y and shoot the 50 cal, 240 and the ever popular GAU-17(six barrel mini gun). I couldn't imagine being anything else.

http://youtu.be/WwYjNTNB2TQ

Being in SoCal you have the air station right there in Oceanside.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Banned

what changes in your life do you expect going into the weekend warriors? Regardless of the MOS you choose your still not going to be doing it day in and day out like the rest of the Active community.

Motor T doesnt need rocket scientists. The ASVAB is a joke. Bootcamp is no joke. Reservists dont get the same respect from Active. Go Active or stay home.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ Right on. Govactive for at least an enlistment. If you still want to stay in you can or you can go reserves or even just GTFO. But do it for yourself and go active duty, you'll regret it if you don't.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:31 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Originally Posted by Swiat34
Oh HELL no. 44's FTMFW!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

quick update: 2 years ago i applied for the army, was still in college and scored a measly 44, but today without studying or anything pulled off a 73
Tomorrow is my physical and hopefully part of the IST...

Oh and im set on the reserves for now... i can always go active duty if i get fired from my job lol!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Banned

you can't always go from reserves to active. easily it depends on the needs of the Corps. and the Corps will be reducing it's numbers soon (next couple years)
Old 04-28-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
quick update: 2 years ago i applied for the army, was still in college and scored a measly 44, but today without studying or anything pulled off a 73
Tomorrow is my physical and hopefully part of the IST...

Oh and im set on the reserves for now... i can always go active duty if i get fired from my job lol!
You are doing it right. I did the opposite and went from active duty to the reserves. I really wasn't a fan of the reserves after doing active duty for 4 years. Good luck

Originally Posted by cookba
you can't always go from reserves to active. easily it depends on the needs of the Corps. and the Corps will be reducing it's numbers soon (next couple years)
Yeah, I've heard they have already started reducing the number.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

They started reduction last year. I was trying to return to active duty and go Counter Intel ( they never meet reenlistment mission) and couldn't get back in...and I fully qualify for CI. I wasn't so heartbroken from my 1st divorce.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey, i need your guys' opinion!!!
I am pretty much one foot in the marines already, about to do the physical and everything and sign the contract wednesday! The job that is available that is 3531 so i got locked into that position as of today. I misunderstood a bit and want a 3521 position. My recruiter told me that if i sign the contract with 3531 positon, i can filll out the form where as soon as 3521 becomes available, i can take that spot...

Can i do that??? I will take my bro who was EX army with me at the day of contract signing.

Oh, and 3531 is a vehicle transport with basic mechanic knowledge, but 3521 is an actual mechanic by the way.

Quick Reply: Working on joining USMC!! Have some questions... Update: 6/1/11