Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Is the Army going soft.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
Was the STFU and sideline comment aimed at me??? If so for what??? So what if I get a chuckle about you having to stop training for a concert and other dumb ****, if you dont like it so much then get out of the military. And judging by your locations(augusta) I am sure you aint doing no combat training at pouge signal school. The drills there are nothing more than babysitters that make sure privates go to school everyday.
pouge signal school? shut the **** up. 25U deploy with every type unit: infantry, scouts, mp's, everything. signal soldiers go on patrols in iraq every day. everyone's in the same fight.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did Basic at Leonardwood in 98 and there weren't any cell phones or **** like that and the DS's cursed us up a storm. Before I left the service though I did see the Army getting very soft and I was in only 8 years, I cant even imagine how some of the 20+ people see the Army now. Like some one said earlier you need to make soldiers hard so they will be hard in combat. After I left AD I had 2 years IRR and got picked up with a Reserve unit and most of them were young and soft as hell. I put myself on every mission possible because I did not think they had enough experience or training and needed some guidance. Heck even the other E-6's thought I was way to hard after I had relaxed a little just to seem reasonable.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Launching!

damn.. things have changed!!

i know the AF boot camp has gotten a LOT harder than it used to be from what all the new guys I've been getting in have been saying!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Teching In

I'd say Army basic got a bit lax as far as appearance goes, but as far as Army knowledge and PT goes?...still the same. Hooah!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LordOfChaos
damn.. things have changed!!

i know the AF boot camp has gotten a LOT harder than it used to be from what all the new guys I've been getting in have been saying!

Bout time, that was a joke
Old 04-17-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
Basic is where you have to do what you are told. Enlisted training does not involve ANY adaptation you just follow a set regime. There is no coping with stress it is learning to just go through it by pushing yourself NOT coping. Coping is learning how to deal with it not just to survive it.

As far as fitting in with strangers, most people would kill the guys they went to basic with if they had to stay there another 2 weeks.

It's just a cluster of in-processing, shots, and trying to march 60 guys back and forth from one meeting to another.

I mean be real, don't be all urah about it, the military doesn't use it to train anyone. It is used to in-process and scare the crap out of people so that they understand that they aren't in control anymore.
obviously you've never served a day in our Corps.. You have a twisted mind set. Maybe during the 6 weeks of training in the Air Force, they may do it that way. Not the Corps. Boot camp is where you learn discipline, self control and instant obedience and willingness to orders.

The whole Marine Corps is do what you're told until you start getting enough rank to tell people what to do. It doesn't just last for 3 months at boot camp. and learning to "survive" stress, is coping with it. you suck it the **** up, and get over it. that's how you cope. if you're worried about being stressed out, then you're going to **** the mission.

It's not always about YOU.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Launching!

air force has 8 weeks of basic now, not 6!!! guess they updated it.

i always thought it was a joke...
Old 04-20-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LordOfChaos
air force has 8 weeks of basic now, not 6!!! guess they updated it.

i always thought it was a joke...

well, at least that was the only arguement you had.

and when did they change it to 8? it was 6 for as long as i can remember.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:15 AM
Launching!

within the past year ish time frame! its new lol

no arguement here, it is a joke
Old 04-20-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sgt0704
well, at least that was the only arguement you had.

and when did they change it to 8? it was 6 for as long as i can remember.
Last September'ish time frame. They're trying to get away from the older days of folding shirts and blah blah.... They roll everything now, they're issued a 'weapon' their first day there, lots more field type training and such. I guess this 'weapon' is basically a fully assembled but non functioning M16 and they learn about it more than I ever did in basic.... I know people that have qualified once in 4 years, pretty pathetic
Old 12-06-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Chris_Hearn
pouge signal school? shut the **** up. 25U deploy with every type unit: infantry, scouts, mp's, everything. signal soldiers go on patrols in iraq every day. everyone's in the same fight.
for sure, my wife is a nat gaurd 25U and had to support rangers all day long
Old 12-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Restricted User

YES! some of the **** I hear from the new kids blows my ****** mind. Soft as ****!
Old 12-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brad8266
Who the hell told you this??? I had my patch for years and it aint worth ****. You get promotion points no matter what your PT score is as long as you pass it. The higher you score, the more points you get, the max being 100 pts for a score of 300. The patch means nothing, I never even wore it because I think people that flaunt their stupid patches and badges are But Im not the type to like to try to show off and act like Im better than everyone else cause I have a dumb patch. They're are too many of those type in the military.
To get this Pt test stuff on track here you go. a 300 on you PT test will get you 50 promotion points and the badge is just something to make you fill good. (Army Regulation 600-8-19 table 3-21.)
Old 12-10-2007, 07:09 AM
12 Second Club

Maybe this will quell the bitching!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N5jRawaB1tY
Old 12-10-2007, 07:17 AM
12 Second Club

Well at least we're still hard down at the Island!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yja_MJazDuc
Old 12-26-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I just crossed over from the Air Force into the Army Res. and all I have to say is that if the Army is soft now, well then I don't think there's a word to describe the AF.... lol funny but true....
Old 12-27-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

hey don't forget about the lowered standards for shooting. Artificial support? WTF? Not only that, but they can sit there and move the sandbags to how they want them. Please correct me if I wrong though, do they really not shoot standing up anymore?
Its really sad. The army is really losing thier warrior ethos from everything I have seen when I was in Iraq, and I am not just talking reservists. It is a dangerous world we live in, if anything they need to be toughening the standards for the Army. The Marines are suffering some of the same problems though. It will never be "nice" like the army is getting, but ask anyone who was a Marine Drill Instructor 10 years ago and get the one who is currently or recently has been one, and the one from 10 years ago will be sick. *sigh*
Old 12-28-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

The old folks always say "it was harder back then" regardless of if they are in the military or not. Its like when old people walked through the snow 5 miles uphill each way to get to school back in the day.

The military still gets the same job done today that it always has, and it will continue to regardless of whether or not they make life a bit easier on the service members.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh thank GOD! I have been needing to vent about this for a long time!
When I came into the Army back in '01 as a buck private many things were different. Im not saying that osut(11C) was hard, I actually enjoyed myself. It wasnt the way it is now though.
Anyway, when I came in I feared NCO's, id never met a man that could hurt me without touching me and the respect that I had, partially born of this fear, was absolute. It felt like I lived at parade rest. I had spc-cpl squad leaders and was required to stand at parade rest for pv2-pfc's. I NEVER EVER talked to my section or platoon sargeat's. If i saw them coming I ran for the hills, If I couldnt get away in time then I gave the appropriate greeting(good morning/afternoon/evening sargeant) and then got away as quickly as possible if they decided not to ******* destroy me for ruining their view. Life in general sucked. Then came the glorious day I made Spc. Probably the best day of my army carreer, as I was no longer a ****** private. As a Spc I was a gunner on a 120 mm mortar. I had some responsibilities in this position and other than gunning I was there to basically help the squad leader with the management of the squad. since then ive made my 6 and now have my own mortar section, and life is pretty much hell.
My soldiers come to the unit, and instead of snapping to parade rest when im introduced to them its something like " hey whats crackin man!" So I do every evil thing I can think of to make them hurt like basic obviously never did. I try to break them then and there, instill that fear, and then move on. Then Ill get bitched out by the 1SG for treating a soldier unfairly, that I should be more understanding and light handed with the soldier.
So said new soldier is assinged to one of my two squads. I have one Sgt and one Spc each running their own squad. i have to give the new guy to my Sgt because my Spc, who is actually better at his job than the Sgt, cant smoke the new guy despite the fact that hes in a leadership position. Ive tried getting him Cpl stripes but my 1SG WONT MAKE ANYONE A CPL!
With the arrival of the ACU its become even harder. The very basic levels of discipline used to be having a clean living space, having a clean highly pressed uniform and highly shind boots. Now they cant press their uniforms or shine their boots. So you still have to make sure joe lives clean. Im currently in Iraq and my section lives in a tent. I set out an SOP on how the tent will be kept, that things will be stowed neatly, the floor will be swept at least twice a day. I was bitched out by the 1SG again for, literally, enforcing a standard on my soldiers. He literally said " SSG. ------, who the **** do you think you are to enforce a standard on your soldiers. I told him that I expect my soldiers to live to the standards I set and he found every four-letter way he could to tell me I was a fucked up useless NCO. In my unit this is one of the biggest problems we have, company and battallion level command backs the soldier more than the NCO.
then theres EO and the chaplain. I understand that they are there for a reason and that they solve many legitimate problems, but every time a soldier comes to either one and says SSG. so-and-so doesnt like me(this was on one of the leadership complaints leveled against me) the company command will pull out the crucifix, they actually seemed disapointed when I was exonerated and it was determined that the soldier LIED TO THE Eo NCO AND THE CHAPLAIN. nothing happened to this soldier. In my unit there have been soldiers who have tod the company commander to **** off, who have walked off the fob into sector by themselvs, soldiers who have beat the **** out of their nco leadership and none of these soldiers have been punished.
Okay thank you guys. Go 2ID
Old 12-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Just remind me of my Soldier I am taking to the board tomorrow, he hasnt got anything done, they expect the NCO to do everything for them..WRONG. I had to do the whole packet myself, then find my NCO wherever the hell they are and ask if it was straight

Quick Reply: Is the Army going soft.