Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Is the Army going soft.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006 | 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Default Is the Army going soft.

I just saw a news report that was showing the new army bootcamp. No yelling, 8 hours of sleep, all the food they can eat, CELL PHONES? They lowered the Physical fitness requirment. I know I can't believe everything but somethings going on.
Old 04-09-2006 | 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Cell phones? wtf, I made ONE phone call when I was in Navy boot camp, and my fiance wasn't even home lol.

8 hours of sleep? The Navy was required to allot 8 hours of sleep a night, but we never got it!

If the Army is getting soft, we better stop fighting so many friggin wars...
Old 04-09-2006 | 11:04 PM
On The Tree

article

Some of this stuff is just sad

"Last month, a few dozen of Capt. Meng's privates clambered onto olive-green trucks for one of their final boot-camp exercises. The troops, traveling in an Iraq-style convoy, were "hit" by a series of smoke-spewing roadside bombs. Enemy fighters, represented by pop-up targets, sprung from nearby prairie grass. A broad-shouldered drill sergeant ordered a counterattack.

Instead of leaping off the back of the truck, as they would in a typical exercise, or in actual combat, the privates waited about 10 seconds for someone to walk to the back of the truck and place a ladder on its rear bumper. They then climbed down the 5-foot drop, one at a time."
Old 04-09-2006 | 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Omfg. Well I guess I'm glad that as a new guy I went through before this. Even though I'm sure this will bring on several, "Back in my day..." responses.

There was a tidbit about this on the Daily Show a few weeks ago. It was about not yelling and Jon said, "Private, you will now be issued a hug," or something like that.
Old 04-10-2006 | 07:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
Even though I'm sure this will bring on several, "Back in my day..." responses.
Oh yes. The "new army" started in the early 90's.
Old 04-10-2006 | 12:31 PM
Banned

Yep.. Thats back when men were men and woman werent...
Old 04-10-2006 | 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

you forgot cigareetes and chew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2006 | 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Oh yes. The "new army" started in the early 90's.
don't think so! i've been in since 91 and i would say around 98-99 is when it started to get VERY soft
Old 04-10-2006 | 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

man this gives us AF guys some hope
Old 04-10-2006 | 10:36 PM
Launching!

I'm not even gonna go there.I don't know what the **** makes them think they can build better soldiers that way.
Old 04-11-2006 | 08:22 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

They can't build better soldiers that way. Even the Marine Corps' boot camp is getting softer. It's mothers of america that it doing this. What they don't realise is that it will only kill more young servicemen when the military is not allowed to train its men (or women) the way they need to be trained.
Old 04-11-2006 | 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Kens_02SS
don't think so! i've been in since 91
If you've been in only since '91 then you don't know
Old 04-11-2006 | 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

well All the branches have been going soft on the guys since after Nam, At lease from the stories I have been heard growing up from My dad (who went both in to the Marines & the Army (spent 2yrs Marines then 20 Army) My uncle who was Army NG (Active), My Moms Dad who was Navy during WWII, My cos who was also Navy.

Allf rom what they have told me is that the Boot camps have changed over the last 50 years, back when My dad & my uncle joined up the DS were allowed to push you & smack you down, not any more. They were allowed to call you Racist names not anymore, They were allowed to let you go with out sleep & Limit you to a few bits of food a day Not anymore.

I wouldnt be suprised that in a few m ore years they will allow you to take your family with you (joking by the way) Either that or allow the guys to bring their teddy bears
Old 04-11-2006 | 02:00 PM
Restricted User

If you've been in only since '91 then you don't know

I gotta say +1 for this. I got out in 92, only to come back in 94. Sometime b/w late 80's and early 90's **** happened! I read the new Army Times and they basically talked a good story about the "new cruits and training" holy ****, made me want to retire. I personally cant stand it, but the "shock and awe" will kick in when they arrive at the first assignment....well, as long as there are still some NCO's around that understand the value of "reception and integration."
Old 04-11-2006 | 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

You all should try being a Drill Sergeant and deal with this ****!!! I'm about to kill a private!
3 more weeks and I am out of here.

No yelling unless you taught them(cant yell at them when they don't know, which is HORSESHIT).
They have cell phones, ipods, cd players, etc.
They only care about time off, pass and chow.
Phase 5 they can drink, and smoke on an off post pass
They get several chances to fvck up and still do and nothing happens

My BN refuses to hand out Art 15's for disrespect, violating dod policy, etc. They are doing everything they can to keep as many soildiers but it will fvbck them in the end.

Right now from my previous cycle every Private i tried so hard to boot out( because they could not perform to standard or always was violating some policy because they wanted to) graduated. I wrote healthy counselings stating that they will be a burden to any NCO and such, well they all have either gone awol, or the command has called and cussed out our Commander and 1SG asking why the fvck did they send them. They also told our command that they did our commands job, chaptered them out.

Last edited by blackfang; 04-11-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-11-2006 | 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blackfang
You all should try being a Drill Sergeant and deal with this ****!!! I'm about to kill a private!
3 more weeks and I am out of here.

No yelling unless you taught them(cant yell at them when they don't know, which is HORSESHIT).
They have cell phones, ipods, cd players, etc.
They only care about time off, pass and chow.
Phase 5 they can drink, and smoke on an off post pass
They get several chances to fvck up and still do and nothing happens

My BN refuses to hand out Art 15's for disrespect, violating dod policy, etc. They are doing everything they can to keep as many soildiers but it will fvbck them in the end.

Right now from my previous cycle every Private i tried so hard to boot out( because they could not perform to standard or always was violating some policy because they wanted to) graduated. I wrote healthy counselings stating that they will be a burden to any NCO and such, well they all have either gone awol, or the command has called and cussed out our Commander and 1SG asking why the fvck did they send them. They also told our command that they did our commands job, chaptered them out.

Damn, you're in a shitty battalion. I was on the trail from '99-'02. We could do pretty much anything but touch them or flat out abuse. As long as cussing was minimal, is was okay. If a drill wanted an Art15 handed out or did not want one to graduate, then that's what happened. Cell phones, CP players? Not in a million years. And this was at "relaxin Jackson".
Old 04-11-2006 | 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy crap, that makes Air Force ROTC Field Training look tough. That's pathetic!
Old 04-11-2006 | 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

I think he's talkin about AIT tho as far as cell phones and ****, cuz my wife's AIT was like that. Basic isnt allowing that **** are they?
Old 04-11-2006 | 03:44 PM
Launching!

guess they gotta do something to get people to join.
Old 04-11-2006 | 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Damn, you're in a shitty battalion. I was on the trail from '99-'02. We could do pretty much anything but touch them or flat out abuse. As long as cussing was minimal, is was okay. If a drill wanted an Art15 handed out or did not want one to graduate, then that's what happened. Cell phones, CP players? Not in a million years. And this was at "relaxin Jackson".
I am in a shitty Brigade...lol. man our Colonel is very lenient on them and doesnt like DS's(His son dropped out of westpoint because of the hazing and yelling). So we take them to concerts, haunted houses, all that other bullcrap.

We had quite a bit of power under the old Brigade Commander, but as soon as the new one came over, it hit the fan. We are fvcked as he is taking over the MP regiment

Now it is all about numbers and the commanders and 1SG's do anything to keep a private from getting an Article 15. if I PVT does something wrong,the commandsay it is the Drill Sergeant who isnt spending enough time with their soldiers and they need to come in longer to be with them. WTF we already work 0400 to 2000 6-7 days a week. Our CDR abnd 1SG are spineless and privates smoke in the barracks and get away with it. Then they wonder why PVT's are out of control. I simply say " you are why they are out of control 1SG"

Quick Reply: Is the Army going soft.