Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

thinking about going back to Iraq with Blackwater Security, $200k for a year

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would you do?

Has anybody heard of Blackwater security? I am contemplating getting on with them and going back to Iraq. They are offering 200K for 1 year of security and my wife is really not for it. I am already fucked up in the head with Post Traumatic Stress, so I figured it wouldn't hurt me much. My wife says no way in hell, but what do you LS1 guys have to say about this offer? Would you do it? Yes, I am ******* drunk right now
Old 05-19-2006, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

i'm also drunk right now. but i'd talk to the wife about it, you don't want to put her through hell for a year just for the money. talk her into it, and if you can then go. if not then i'd decline the offer. UNLESS....there is no way in HELL that you would ever see cash in a year like that EVER again....
Old 05-19-2006, 03:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think I can talk her into me defending our sorry as leaders. I guess I will take it as a last resort. It will pay for a nice 427 twin turbo though!!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 04:23 AM
Teching In

I worked with Blackwater for 10months in Iraq. I am an active duty MP and my platoon was assigned to them as PSD (personale security defense) for Ambassador Paul Bremer and later John Negropontie. I worked side by side with these guys the entire time. When they moved i moved, when they went somewhere i was right behind them in the gun turret of a humvee.

We worked so well with them in fact all of us recived sign letters of recomendation gurantteing us jobs with the company after we leave the military (three people already took them up on the offer and have jobs, one more year and i will be to ). I know alot about the company and can answer probably any questions you have so just ask and i'll tell you.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by just-a-z
I don't think I can talk her into me defending our sorry as leaders. I guess I will take it as a last resort. It will pay for a nice 427 twin turbo though!!!!

sorry i had to.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

I would be all for it. I got maybe 20k for 7 months in Iraq, ten times that would rock. I do wonder what they do when they are not in Iraq or where ever and what they get payed when they aren't over there. Paul554, can you answer that for me? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

one of my Marines was interested in that as well. FWIW, there is another company called Wolfpack security that works out there too
Old 05-23-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

I hear blackwater does a lot of fishy *** stuff look into that....
Old 05-24-2006, 06:09 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Fishy *** stuff is great.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msgZ28
Fishy *** stuff is great.
Yeah until you get kicked out of a country like they did........

You have to look at alot of things when you consider this.

What are the living conditions. are you going to have a reg. way to contact spouse/family back home. The hrs you work...... for the pay.....
My big bro is over there now and the hrs he works sometimes arent worth it... 18-20 hr days 7 days a week for a yr.... you get burnt out really quick......
The $$ buys lots of cool toys though.....

Kyle
Old 05-25-2006, 06:47 AM
9 Second Club

Just be aware they are being looked at hard right now... would hate to be the guy that gets made an example out of cause the company I work for is breaking international law. They are in the Gray at times... But I will also say a team of those guys saved a couple of our troops lives in Al Najaf.... so take it for what you will.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I believe the money is tax free too, right??
Old 05-25-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I do wonder what they do when they are not in Iraq or where ever and what they get payed when they aren't over there.
they probably dont get paid anything. its probably contract work.

if i were single i would go back for a few years with someone for a good six figure income. come back with a few hundred k and put it for retirement savings. i wouldnt have to worry much abotu retirement if i put away 250k before i turned 30

brook
Old 05-25-2006, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 80superbu
I believe the money is tax free too, right??
First 100k is tax free.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackSuperchargedLS1
First 100k is tax free.

Wrong the first $80K is tax free..... and for it to be tax free you have to be over there for over 330 days out of 365.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason the pay is so high is because the risk to your life is equally as high. Don't risk it, it's only money. Live a full life and die an old man. There are other ways to make good money and live to spend it.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
The reason the pay is so high is because the risk to your life is equally as high. Don't risk it, it's only money. Live a full life and die an old man. There are other ways to make good money and live to spend it.
Couldn't have said it better myself. You've already been over there and put in your time. Stay home with the family and settle down.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:02 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
What are the living conditions. are you going to have a reg. way to contact spouse/family back home. The hrs you work...... for the pay.....
My big bro is over there now and the hrs he works sometimes arent worth it... 18-20 hr days 7 days a week for a yr.... you get burnt out really quick......
The $$ buys lots of cool toys though.....

Kyle
Yeah, the living conditions and the hours would suck, but considering I already did it for 25k a year, it wouldn't bother me too much. Hell, being a combat mos, even in garrison we work those hours. I spend (spent) at least two weeks out of every month in the field working long/crazy hours. For 3 years. So that wouldn't really be much of a change. Except for the 1000% increase in pay or so. Not having a family at all, it would be a good deal. I know what you're saying though.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:27 AM
TECH Veteran

It depends on your MOS and when you ended your contract with the military as to what BW will offer you. It used to be 90 day contracts @ $30K a month. If they are asking for a year make sure its for the money they are talking no matter where you are/map/globe/country.
edit: ****, I don't do fractions = math skilz suck right now

If you just want to work for them be prepared for some sad pay and suck jobs on 'down time' - like patrolling for crack-heads after Katrina hit. That and hauling the dead bodies to freezer trucks. No sidearm allowed. For $11.50 an hour.

Its worth thinking over first double checking the contract second.

Last edited by GEARHED; 05-26-2006 at 03:34 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:28 AM
Restricted User

I worked with them twice now, and each case was totally different. BW has different missions for different levels of emplyment per say. Living conditions are at least as good as our Troops, the risk is flexible, some "jobs" are higher, lower or same same. My first mission with them, they did not want to, nor were they required to go where we did, I didnt blame them. Second time, I seen the lame "beaurocratic" bullshit they have to put up with at times, and some lame missions, but also seen some getting loaded on the "recovery" birds.
I have thought about doing a year or two with them when I am done...Sep 2010. Of course by then we'll be in Iran, or China at the rate we're going. It will depend on whether my new MOS pans out or not.

Quick Reply: thinking about going back to Iraq with Blackwater Security, $200k for a year