Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

im thinking about changing branches

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default im thinking about changing branches

well ive been in the marine reserves for 6 years now. id like to stay in but i really want to get rid of my student loans. well of course the marine corps isnt gong to do much about that. the national guard gets state funding and fed funding, so i called them up just to ask a few questions. i figure i can do 3 years in another branch to take care of my loans and then cross back over. i figured i may as well look into gettign a comission as well as the enlisted side.
i found out you can actually go to OCS one weekend a month lol
they told me the best $$ would be to enlist withthe nat guard for 3 years, when i get in put in the package for OCS (it starts in march) go to OCS for 18 months get the comission and my contract will then be up in a few months.
dosnt sound too bad except the part about going in as enlisted and then putting in the OCS package. im sure everyone knows soomeone who was suposed to be on some program or going into xxx and it didnt go through and they are stuck doing somthgin they really didnt want to do.

i just got some of the basic info today. im gonna look into it more and see what i think.

anyone got any good info?
what i want to do is this: go into a reserve program for around 3 years. get student loans paid off ($20k would be nice) and also get bonus $ if possible.
doing it as enlisted is an option and so is going for a commission. I dont want to go into a program that will put me on active duty for a few months.
ie: usmc OCS then TBS

brook
Old 06-01-2006, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

have you looked at the army? check and see if they're still offering the 20 gs for 11b? you can try that out
Old 06-01-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackws69
have you looked at the army? check and see if they're still offering the 20 gs for 11b? you can try that out

she's a female, can't go 11 bang bang!
Old 06-01-2006, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kens_02SS
she's a female, can't go 11 bang bang!
i see didn't know that. but they still have other jobs that they're offering bonuses for. maybe not that much but every little bit should help her out then.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least you wont have to do boot camp, the beauty of the Corp and switching branches.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

ill look into army. im guessing 11b is infantry? i would consider it for 20k.

brook
Old 06-02-2006, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by aggiez28
ill look into army. im guessing 11b is infantry? i would consider it for 20k.

brook
u guessed it.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

and they are giving 20k out for reserves??? sounds kinda strange to me. i can see that for active but not reserve. my friends husband is an army recruiter, he should be calling me today
Old 06-02-2006, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by aggiez28
and they are giving 20k out for reserves??? sounds kinda strange to me. i can see that for active but not reserve. my friends husband is an army recruiter, he should be calling me today
not sure if they're doing it for the res. i know they are for active duty. that army rec should be able to give more insite. i know i have several or my 03's doing it right now even witht he bonus the corps is giving to us.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

Being a prior recruiter, please figure out where you stand prior to considereing a OCS package. I.E., GPA, what kinda officer, Pilot? Many things, and why hasnt the Marines told you of the Officer packages, STA-21?, as this covers them all. And why werent you asked to be an Officer prior to coming in? Do you have a Degree?
Many questions , and you need to sit down with your list of questions as to what you want to do. DOnt let them take advantage of you, as you need to take advantage of the military. Nothing is guranteed, Nothing. But it can be in writing, as long as you fullfill the contract, i.e, pass everything and meet all and maintain all requirements for the program.
For example, if you came out of High School to be a Warrant Officer Pilot down in Ft Rucker, and you fail, where do you think the Army is going to send you, can you say INFANTRY, and a Grunt. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 97blkz
At least you wont have to do boot camp, the beauty of the Corp and switching branches.
id want to do boot over again in the army or airforce just to see how different it was
Old 06-07-2006, 04:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, the Army is probably your best bet. The AF is doing some major "force shaping!"
Old 06-11-2006, 02:18 AM
TECH Regular

keep one thing in mind, if they are offering a bonus, especially a fairly large one, there is a reason for it. Like in the Coast Guard, they were offering 10K to enlist as a FS or cook. what they didnt tell you is that you would more than likely be underway most of your career if you didnt try to change rates after your obligated time was served for the bonus you received.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what's your MOS now? the Corps is extending their SRB season. so maybe your MOS rates a bonus. you could use that to pay student loans. In the AF, you'll probably be busted down a rank. and being in six yrs, i'll assume you're a Sgt. that would mean you'll be a SRA in the AF/e-4. being, they bust you down. e-4's in the AF, aren't considered NCO's. i'd say take a good look at yourself, and be sure that you could handle putting on another services uniform. I've worked with all of the branches, and i'm glad i stayed in the Marines. i had though about going into the AF, but after working with those ******* for a year, **** that. i'm glad i didnt.

if your job sucks, and you just want to do something easier, or whatever, check into an air wing MOS. preferably something not maintence. they work all sorts of fucked up hours. i used to be Motor T. i was with 5th Marines. i got tired of doing the grunt **** all the time. weeks in the field. 20+ mile hikes every few weeks. that **** gets old real fast. and after 5 years of it, i was ready for something new. now i'm a weather guy. not too many Marines know that there's such a field. there's about 300 Marines that make up the mos. that includes officers, snco, everyone. i'd say, make sure that switching branches is what you really want to do.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Being a prior recruiter, please figure out where you stand prior to considereing a OCS package. I.E., GPA, what kinda officer, Pilot? Many things, and why hasnt the Marines told you of the Officer packages, STA-21?, as this covers them all. And why werent you asked to be an Officer prior to coming in? Do you have a Degree?
Many questions , and you need to sit down with your list of questions as to what you want to do. DOnt let them take advantage of you, as you need to take advantage of the military. Nothing is guranteed, Nothing. But it can be in writing, as long as you fullfill the contract, i.e, pass everything and meet all and maintain all requirements for the program.
For example, if you came out of High School to be a Warrant Officer Pilot down in Ft Rucker, and you fail, where do you think the Army is going to send you, can you say INFANTRY, and a Grunt. Good luck.
i didnt have a degree when i first enlisted, i do now.
i have considered marine OCS. im just checkign to see if theres alot more $$ to be had by going to another branch for 3 years or so then commign back. one thing about the NG OCS i liked was that its one weekend a month for 18 months lol. marine OCS is 10 weeks then TBS is 6 months. I would be taking a BIG paycut during that time and i am not really lookign to do tha tright now (at least not for OCS/TBS)

right now im just in the first phase of getting info from a few recruiters. then ill sit down and look up more info and reserch it. ill probably go back and ask more questions a few times.
id liek to stay in the Corps but id like to get rid of my student loans a little more right now. i can allways get back in later.
ive been 0311 for the past 6 years. a few months ago i joined up with a Intel unit to do CI. its probably one of the best MOS's in the corp imo. i really want to stay and do it but again i really want to get rid of my loans.
i would get plenty of deployment opportunities doign CI and theres some great civilian jobs for CI also.
if your job sucks, and you just want to do something easier, or whatever,
my job kicks *** lol
Old 06-12-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you're an 03, you should have done a lot of deployments by now. you should have paid off your student loans with the combat pay.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive done one deployment. I almost went to getmo in 2000 but i hadnt gone to soi yet so they wouldnt let me.
part on my company (weapons plt) got deployed to getmo in 01
i went to iraq in 04-05
if i were active duty im sure i would have had a few trips to iraq under my belt

brook
Old 06-15-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

instead of switching services, go AD

Quick Reply: im thinking about changing branches