Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Straight bars!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 08:46 PM
NKAWTG...N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Straight bars!

Well finally got my 2LT rank...except I'm still a Cadet, lol. I campare it to being the tallest midget. But eh, I am now in a command position at my detachment so thats a plus.

For all the AD people, enlisted don't have to salute Cadet's of any rank, but should still render the title Sir, Ma'am, or Cadet. Cadet's must salute all officers (warrent not included).
Old 08-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Well finally got my 2LT rank...except I'm still a Cadet, lol. I campare it to being the tallest midget. But eh, I am now in a command position at my detachment so thats a plus.

For all the AD people, enlisted don't have to salute Cadet's of any rank, but should still render the title Sir, Ma'am, or Cadet. Cadet's must salute all officers (warrent not included).
Ya... that's going to freakin happen.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Congratz on the promotion though.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:45 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by nmarple254
Ya... that's going to freakin happen.
? Not following you.

Originally Posted by nmarple254
Congratz on the promotion though.
Thanks!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=StoleIt]For all the AD people, enlisted don't have to salute Cadet's of any rank, but should still render the title Sir, Ma'am, or Cadet.QUOTE]

Sorry, should have took the other parts away. That will be the day I call a cadet sir or maam.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:00 PM
NKAWTG...N

[QUOTE=nmarple254]
For all the AD people, enlisted don't have to salute Cadet's of any rank, but should still render the title Sir, Ma'am, or Cadet.QUOTE]

Sorry, should have took the other parts away. That will be the day I call a cadet sir or maam.
lol. I agree, but I think thats the wording in the AF manual. It's a really weird position that contracted cadets are in...they are apart of the military, but they aren't commissioned yet. Very weird.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude....lighten up...nobody will take you seriously for another 3 or 4 years so just enjoy being a LT....an old commander of mine once told me: "You have the best job in the world, your job is to be wrong! So be wrong...and learn everything you can from your mistakes."

The enlisted and NCOs will be your greatest teachers...learn from them and don't treat them like they are beneath you just because you have something shiny on your hat. They can make you look good (even if you are always wrong)...

A line from some old John Wayne movie ( I forget which one): "Rank is something you get, respect is something you gotta earn."
Old 08-18-2006, 10:08 PM
NKAWTG...N

I completely agree.

LT = Learning Time
Old 08-19-2006, 01:25 AM
JUICED96Z

I was Civil Air Patrol for 6 years and looking at going back in. I was a C/CMSGT (E9) life'er (don't want to be an officer and did not then either CAP or AF). I also knew of a few ROTC guys up there in rank.

Some cadet Colonel mentioned that sir and ma'am crap to a senior NCO and it also happend with a ROTC cadet.... it DID NOT!!! go over well. If I remember right something was said to my father a while back who is an E-7 and again THAT did NOT go over well.

I know of two stories, both envolve a butter bar LT and a CSM and a CMSGT (E-9's) (sperate instances and bases)

The fresh new LT walks in and asks them to go get them some coffe and kinda looks down on them. Both being in for over 27 years and both have been in the millitary since before this person was even born.

The NCO's both did as they were told but word got back to both the CO's and the LT's were getting coffe for every officer above them for a very long long time.

Just remember the enlisted are what make you look good and keep you alive. You are going to flight school right? Chances are you will have a crew chief that has been working on those jets since you were pooping in your huggies or will at least run into more than a few. My father has a few pilots now that are right near my age (23) and he has been working on those jets for 27 years and has kept young pilots from panicing and punching out on the ground and costing the AF $$$$$$ because when that canopy comes down on a 16 it tends to go threw the wing....When he tells the pilots what to do when it comes to the jet everyone from the new pilots to the LTC's and base commander (Col.) LISTEN TO HIM because even though he is a senior NCO and they are officers they know what he is talking about!!!! He once had a cocky brand new pilot not look at the control when the wheel brake hand signal was givin and he thought he knew everything and he hit the air brakes. Guess were my fathers head was? Right under the air brakes doing a check, he allways knew not to lock his knees for that reason and if he would have we doubt he would be here today....
Those guys job is to keep your jet in top top shape so it does not have someting really bad go wrong over the bad guys....

Just remmeber these guys keep you alive and make you look good the senior NCO's have most likely been in longer or as long as you have been alive.....

But congrats on the promotion man. Good luck to you.

NOTE: I am not jumping on your case man just pointing a few things out to maybe save you from a few issues or something. If you were to mention the sir ma'am thing to a NCO it will not go over well.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 08-19-2006 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

NOTE: I am not jumping on your case man just pointing a few things out to maybe save you from a few issues or something. If you were to mention the sir ma'am thing to a NCO it will not go over well.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I have been in the af for 13 years, and I have NEVER seen anyone call a cadet sir/ma'am. They are around our work all the time, and they act like they are scared to death. I will give you some advice though, DO NOT try that, you will not be getting off to a good start. I dont think the AF is going to punish an NCO for not calling a cadet sir/ma'am, in fact it might get some laughs if anything. The manual may say that, (although I have never seen this manual, the regs and laws we are under are not in some af manual) but it will be hell and high water before you here an NCO and especially a SNCO ever say that to a cadet. But all that aside congrats on your promotion, and hope you become a good officer, god knows we need some good ones!!
Old 08-19-2006, 05:51 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
NOTE: I am not jumping on your case man just pointing a few things out to maybe save you from a few issues or something. If you were to mention the sir ma'am thing to a NCO it will not go over well.
I know, I would never even expect an NCO to refer to me as "Sir". I think you guys are taking this all a bit far, thats just what it says in the manual. I do not outrank anyone in the military right now, so I don't expect anyone to treat me like I do.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats I've pondered finishing my school up and trying to get a commission...
Old 08-20-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

they are just telling you that if you try and enfore that sir/mam thing your going to get laughed at and you will be starting off on the wrong foot
Old 08-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Congrats on getting your commission. Now just don't be a dumbass 2LT like to many of my peers were. Listen to your NCO's and you will go far.

So you are a detachment commander?? What unit? What branch are you?
Old 08-21-2006, 07:22 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by Thunder175
Congrats on getting your commission. Now just don't be a dumbass 2LT like to many of my peers were. Listen to your NCO's and you will go far.

So you are a detachment commander?? What unit? What branch are you?
Not a commander, still a Cadet. Detachment 190, AFROTC.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stoleit, I commissioned in May and am at Randolph AFB right now.

Experience in the service is worth WAY more than your rank is. I respect A1C's like they're superior to me, because I know that they have been in the service MUCH longer than I have. They can really help you out.

As an LT, no one is gonna take you seriously. No one, except your Flt/cc, who will expect you to be serious about your job. You'll still get called sir and be saluted, but its PURELY for the rank, not the person.

AD is nothing like ROTC. Its much, much better. The minute you start quoting regs as an LT....bad juju. Just plan on having fun and working hard.

What's your AFSC?

Edit: Oh, and until you make Captain, worry about checking yourself rather then checking others
Old 08-22-2006, 11:24 AM
NKAWTG...N

Toasty, I completely agree. But I think everyone is missunderstanding me, I haven't commissioned yet. I am a Cadet 2LT! AFROTC!

LT= Learning Time
Old 08-22-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toasty, I completely agree. But I think everyone is missunderstanding me, I haven't commissioned yet. I am a Cadet 2LT! AFROTC!

LT= Learning Time
Start pushing, and don't recover until there's a puddle of sweat underneath you. Do it!
Old 08-22-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should have said C/2Lt in your first post
Old 08-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Launching!

I agree, should have put Cadet...

But let me tell you how it is on the Army side. Even brand new 2LT's are being thrown into combat and expected to take on huge level's of responsibility. Right after OBC I was sent to my unit in Kuwait, took over my platoon and was basically entrusted with the entire SWA theatre network connectivity since most of it ran through my TCF. Later in my tour I became a detachment commander and lead a small portion of our company into Iraq. Many of my infantry buddies were leading troops in heavy combat in Tikrit, Fallujah, and of course Baghdad.

Of course I could not have been even remotely successful without being a good student and listening to and taking care of my NCO's. It is so true that you will never forget your first platoon sergeant, and I am no different. In my one year tour over there, I had three and remember them all very vividly. It is a part of being a PSG to train the new 2LT and I am forever grateful to them! Here is to the NCO's, the backbone of the Army! Hooah!

Oh, and your troops will take you very seriously if you show them you are willing to learn. Take the time to learn their jobs as best you can and don't be afraid to ask even a Private / Airman to explain his job (especially in a technical MOS).

Quick Reply: Straight bars!