Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Af Guys!! Did U Buy A Home!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Af Guys!! Did U Buy A Home!!

hey air force guys, just a question to ask you guys. did u guys buy a house during yur first duty station? do u regret it? how was the hassle when u got orders and u had to sell your house? ive talked to some people and they were u like instead of renting just buy a house, and were like just rent it out if you pcs.. im thinking do u know how much of a hassel thats gonna be to try to find someone to rent yur house.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I WISH I would have bought a house at my first duty station. I was stationed at Nellis about 10 years ago, and the going rate for a decent house in a decent neighborhood was $100-$150k. Those same houses are going for $275k+

I own a house at my current duty station, and I'm going to be PCS'ing within 3 months. It can be a little stressful, especially if you want to sell your house and not have to worry about holding on to it after you PCS and just renting it out.

But after owning my own home, renting is no longer an option for me. It's awesome owning your own house, because it's YOURS. You can do what ever you want to it.

Plus it's an investment. You'll almost always make money on a house when you go to sell it. With renting, there's no equity... so your really just pissing your money away.

I say, if it's within your means to buy a house, go ahead and do it. If you can get a good house, in a good area... you'll be good to go.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

agreed, the equity, and just plain good feeling of owning a house is well worth some hassle with PCS'ing, plus with the way the PCS Budget is looking like this year, we all may be able to hold onto duty stations a bit longer now... but we'll see.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

you can't rent out your house if ita a VA loan
Old 11-20-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

thats cool guys. i was talking to a guy, who is stationed here at lackland with me. he came from arizona. poor guy couldnt sell his house or rent it out. his mortage is 1500 a month. so hes got to pay for that house, and pay his rent here.. plus the dude looked like he had a brand new f 150 on 24 inch rims.. he must be hurtin.. only reason im not ready to get a house.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gonefishn1212
yeah you can, I bought a duplex with my VA and lived in half and renteds the other half.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

and the interest is tax deductible!
Old 11-20-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Splitz
and the interest is tax deductible!
Old 11-21-2006, 02:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Grave
I WISH I would have bought a house at my first duty station. I was stationed at Nellis about 10 years ago, and the going rate for a decent house in a decent neighborhood was $100-$150k. Those same houses are going for $275k+

I own a house at my current duty station, and I'm going to be PCS'ing within 3 months. It can be a little stressful, especially if you want to sell your house and not have to worry about holding on to it after you PCS and just renting it out.

But after owning my own home, renting is no longer an option for me. It's awesome owning your own house, because it's YOURS. You can do what ever you want to it.

Plus it's an investment. You'll almost always make money on a house when you go to sell it. With renting, there's no equity... so your really just pissing your money away.

I say, if it's within your means to buy a house, go ahead and do it. If you can get a good house, in a good area... you'll be good to go.

I still own a house in Valdosta (Moody AFB) that I bought new almost 3 years ago...best investment I ever made especially since cost of living in that area is going up and new houses are popping up everywhere!

Also want to add it can be a bit of a hassle to rent it out but it's definitely worth it in the long run. I do highly recommend using a Property Manager, it's not that expensive and I just throw it in the rent cost. So if the tenant defaults on the rent or breaks part of the contract the PM can take the necessary legal action against them and will find another tenant if required. This actually happened to me but my PM did everything and I didn't have to do anything except approve the next tenant to rent my house.

And yes, you can rent out your house financed by the VA...that's what I'm doing right now.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:53 AM
TECH Resident

I wholeheartedly recommend buying a house. At my second duty station, I bought a house for $132K. When I sold it 3 1/2 years later, I got $194K for it. The only downside was I had it on the market for 4 months, and wasn't getting any bites. I finally sold it the week I left for Korea. That would of sucked if I couldn't sell it, Couldn't rent it (leaving country), and had my BAH taken away (Korea). But, I did make 65K on the deal, with the mortgage payment being paid by me & my wife's BAH.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

my husband is a ssgt, we bought a house 2 years ago, weve been here at nellis for a year, hes been at the previous base for 3 years. we got orders 6 months in advance and put our house on the market, wed only been in it a year. great location, new house, NO one came to see it. finally 2 mos b4 we were due to leave i started making calls gettin nervous about it not selling. come to find out our POS realtor (century 21) hadnt listed our house properly, i demanded a new agent and we started having people come see it and then we moved. long story short, weve been here a year, house isnt sold and we went bankrupt.

be careful and watch your agents every move, you have a bad feeling, start calling. its a lot of money to lose.

Last edited by brynnda; 11-22-2006 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

man, that sucks. sorry to hear that. thats why i dont even want to look into getting a house. $hit, if something breaks you cant call the office and have there maintenance people come fix. everything is out of pocket. plus the whole pcs thing. i would rather have my cars paid off first before getting a house.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldn't buy if I knew I would only be there a year or two. Depending on your job and how susceptible you are to get an assignment soon. It is for sure cheaper to buy than rent. As a new single airman your BAH may not cover what you want to buy anyway
Old 12-04-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you can. You have to wait 1 year after living in it.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
hey air force guys, just a question to ask you guys. did u guys buy a house during yur first duty station?
Do it. I have 3 houses. When its time to PCS just have Century 21 manage it. All you do is collect money every month. The property management deals with the renters. Do it and do not look back.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brad8266
yeah you can, I bought a duplex with my VA and lived in half and renteds the other half.
im talking about, straight up buying a VA loan house and renting it out from the get go....
Old 12-28-2006, 11:45 PM

straight up buying a VA loan house and renting it out from the get go....

Do not do that.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:21 AM
12 Second Club

I know this is a old post but Hell yeah have the military pay for your house then rent it when you PCS. I have a house that I am renting bought it for 105 K now the homes in the neighbor hood are selling for 135K-145K I think its a long term money maker and not quick cash. You gotta have some cash on the side though incase the house cant rent for a month or two.