Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Plans after graduation

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plans after graduation

hey yall, dunno if this is appropriate or not, but here goes...

For the longest time, I've wanted to be in the military...the Air Force, in particular. However, as I grew up, my eyesight took a turn for the worse, leaving me with like 20/100 vision w/o my contacts. When that happened, I decided to give the Navy a shot, but when i was getting my physical for the Naval Academy, the woman in charge told me that having chronic asthma is usually an automatic disqualifier for military service anywhere. So, at that point, i decided to go to a normal university and major in political science...then, after graduation, get a job with the government working in law enforcement. Well, I've been thinking about trying to get into the military again after I graduate...would there be any place for me? here's the break down

What i have going for me
  • When I graduate, I'll have a degree in political science/goverment and public affairs
  • I'll be only 22
  • I'm not afraid of physical activity
  • despite having chronic asthma, i've played sports all thru high school and never missed a practice/rep because of it. Also, even though I'm not on an organized team, i still work out and run regularly
  • This is something I want to do

What I have against me
  • Without my contact lenses, I have atrocious vision
  • I do have asthma, and it takes alot of medication to keep it under control

Like i asked earlier, is there any shot for me in the military? I could see myself as part of the Navy or even the Army, but the Air Force has always been my goal/aspiration. I don't look forward to the idea of more formal schooling, so I'd be up for some job-training from the military
Old 11-27-2006, 01:10 PM
JUICED96Z

Pretty sure the asthma will keep you out
Old 11-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Banned

Just keep the asthma to yourself if you can. They'll only examine you when you enlist, and if you can get to boot camp and they catch it there you're fine. The less they know the better.

Nate
Old 11-27-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
Just keep the asthma to yourself if you can. They'll only examine you when you enlist, and if you can get to boot camp and they catch it there you're fine. The less they know the better.

Nate
Guy in my basic training flight had an asthma attack after he lied about it during his enlistment and they booted him. He told them he didn't know he had it which I think was a load of crap but he still got the boot anyways, he was there for 2 days and we never saw him again. I wouldn't count on them just being 'OK' you have asthma and letting him stay in.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

It might not be the asthma that will keep you out I'm afraid.

The USAF is cutting 40,000 jobs in the next three years? It's going to be REAL difficult to get in nowadays. With your degree you might want to try to be a commissioned officer instead. I would NOT keep the asthma to yourself. If it can be contolled by medication it might not be a problem.

But you don't want what's called "Fraudlement Enlistment". NOT a good idea, you can get into a lot of trouble. It would be kind of like lying to your parents.

If you do lie about it or hide the information, you might seriously want to consider another career path. The USAF is about service before self, EXCELLENCE, and INTEGRITY. If you don't have those qualities, then don't bother.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:32 AM
Launching!

one of the guys in my last unit has asthma, and the army hasent kicked him out. I dont know why. But if it is serious enough then they will for shure let you go.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My $.02...

Okay man, thats cool, REALLY cool of you being so determined to join and all but lettme say that If you've all your college and stuff done and are ready for the REAL WORLD, stay a civilian. I mean as far as im concered your ahead of/in the game. You got your schooling done now its time to put that piece of paper to work. Military life (atleast as far as enlisted goes) is okay, some **** ya gotta go through after basic and all but all in all if I had the degree like you have, I'd take the fact that my vision was perfect as a sign that theres something else out there for me..........

Best Wishes,

Rob
Old 11-30-2006, 12:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Splitz
It might not be the asthma that will keep you out I'm afraid.

The USAF is cutting 40,000 jobs in the next three years? It's going to be REAL difficult to get in nowadays. With your degree you might want to try to be a commissioned officer instead. I would NOT keep the asthma to yourself. If it can be contolled by medication it might not be a problem.

But you don't want what's called "Fraudlement Enlistment". NOT a good idea, you can get into a lot of trouble. It would be kind of like lying to your parents.

If you do lie about it or hide the information, you might seriously want to consider another career path. The USAF is about service before self, EXCELLENCE, and INTEGRITY. If you don't have those qualities, then don't bother.
Are you kidding? Fraudulent enlistment only applies if you're trying to get your TS/SCI clearance or something of that nature. Nobody gets the shitcan for asthma unless they have an attack during basic. Just keep it to yourself and reap the benefits. I have never seen anyone booted for asthma and I'm going on 6 years now with several different people diagnosed. Hell my shop supervisor has a wicked case of asthma and he is waived for PRT and still in.

Nate
Old 12-01-2006, 01:34 AM
Launching!

Are you kidding? Fraudulent enlistment only applies if you're trying to get your TS/SCI clearance or something of that nature. Nobody gets the shitcan for asthma unless they have an attack during basic. Just keep it to yourself and reap the benefits. I have never seen anyone booted for asthma and I'm going on 6 years now with several different people diagnosed. Hell my shop supervisor has a wicked case of asthma and he is waived for PRT and still in.

Nate
Will you listen to yourself? You are telling someone to LIE to get into the military. They ask point blank when joining if you have or have ever had asthma. If he is trying for the Air Force, he is already violating our first core value. INTEGRITY FIRST. Where is the integrity in lying to get into the AF? And yes, it is considered FRAUDULENT ENLISTMENT, you get briefed about that in Basic Training. If you have been in 6 years, you are probably at least a SSgt. You are not setting a very postitive example as an NCO in my opinion.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HooliganZ
Will you listen to yourself? You are telling someone to LIE to get into the military. They ask point blank when joining if you have or have ever had asthma. If he is trying for the Air Force, he is already violating our first core value. INTEGRITY FIRST. Where is the integrity in lying to get into the AF? And yes, it is considered FRAUDULENT ENLISTMENT, you get briefed about that in Basic Training. If you have been in 6 years, you are probably at least a SSgt. You are not setting a very postitive example as an NCO in my opinion.
Applause. Kudos, thank you for understanding what I was trying to verberalize. There is obviously an intergrity issue here, and that is what the military/USAF is BASED on.

If you have to lie to get into the military, don't even bother. Had enough of the debate, here's the law:

AFI 36-3208 Administrative Discharge of Airman
5.13.4. Fraudulent Entry. A fraudulent entry is one involving deliberate deception member. For discharge or waiver options, see paragraphs 5.15. and 5.19.

5.20.1.1. Example One. The airman entered fraudulently concealing a medical defect or the history of one, which, if made known at the time of entry, would have or might have precluded the entry. The airman serves a good part of the enlistment before the fraud is found.

5.20.1.1.1. Medical examination shows the disqualifying medical condition still exists and disqualifies airman for retention in the Air Force. It is further found, or it becomes evident, that the airman, at the time of entry, did not hide the medical information in an effort to get retirement and monetary benefits.

5.20.1.1.2. Rather, the airman came into the Air Force in the honest but mistaken belief thatthe medical condition would not be a bar to service. The airman's military record since entry has been good. In this case, there would be no objection to a waiver of the fraud so the airmancould be separated under AFI 36-2902 (Formerly AFR 35-4) due to a disability existing prior
to entry.

But also remember, if you've been in basic training in week 0 or 1 and collapse, you will be found fraudlement, because the USAF doiesn't know how "good" a performer will be. Now, a SSgt with 6 years, never said he had asthma, collapes on the track during his PT test, based on his record he COULD be retained.

Basically, what it's saying is, that you did not KNOW the that you had a dis qualifiying medical condition (asthma happens to be disqualifying entry, if you develop it while in, you can get a waiver, but might be denied re-enlistment by the doctors/commander/force shapign board) you can get a waiver and be retained, but the problem is that he DOES know his condition which makes it fraudulement. REad the AFI around those examples, there also is a "Flowchart" table 5.3 that the end result is a fradulent enlistment. What's really funny, if you develop asthma while IN, your considered for disabilty pay go figure.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

I am in the Marine Corps, (Granted you did say USAF which I know is doing "force shaping")

I had to get a waiver for asthma, because I had an inhaler when I was younger for a week when I had bronchitis, and they found out about it before I joined. I had to take multiple pulminary tests, which showed "constricted airways" (not quite asthma) but I was denied enlistment in all branches... but the Recruiters (if they are atleast decent) will do everything they can and get you in. It took me like a month and a half to get my waiver, which was fine by me to do it the proper way and have it documented, incase I have an adverse reaction in the gas chamber or from something they force me to take. (So far nothing has affected me at all.)

If you really want it, I'd say do it. It isn't about following someone elses dreams or just getting that job paying slightly more. If money is an issue, look into OCS officers make pretty decent pay. I personally also had many options and scholarships for college, but elected to goto the military first. It is just something I wanted to do, and would have always regretted not doing. Been a good experience so far.

Goodluck man
Old 12-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HooliganZ
Oh brother. We're not talking about a guy who's trying to lie about criminal convictions or financial matters, he is just trying to get into the military to serve his country. Do you really think it's that big of a deal? I am in the Navy not AF, and a good recruiter will either get him a waiver or push him through with no problems. Yes I know what fraudulent enlistment is. I'm sure you told the recruiter about every time you smoked pot too right?

Nate
Old 12-02-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh brother. We're not talking about a guy who's trying to lie about criminal convictions or financial matters, he is just trying to get into the military to serve his country. Do you really think it's that big of a deal? I am in the Navy not AF, and a good recruiter will either get him a waiver or push him through with no problems. Yes I know what fraudulent enlistment is. I'm sure you told the recruiter about every time you smoked pot too right?

Nate
Um, well, I guess SOME of us have morals and values like the military wants. Unfortunaly, drug use (yes, including pot), is illegal.

I didn't have to lie about that when the recruiter asked me about it. But then, I have morals and values.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Eh just tell them the truth you smoked it, they still let you in
Old 12-02-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

exactly, so why lie about it?? The reason why they ask is to see if you will be truthful about your past etc etc...duh!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK bottom line DONT FUKIN LIE... #2 quit bitchin!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

face it - if we all lived by the AF 3 core values, it'd be real boring. how many times have u disregarded T.O. procedures while performing a certain task? u get competent in wut ur doing, and tend to leave the applicable technical data behind. u may be the best in ur shop at wut u do, but if Q/A sees u without the right data, then ur screwed. integrity issue right there from the start. there culd've been a TCTO for one of the jobs in the T.O. u decided to neglect. u culd've forgotten a minor step that wuld have a major impact on the safety of ur crew. its all integrity/excellence-related, so if u neglect those 2 values, are u a bad airman? do u deserve to be kicked out of the AF?

im only picking on the integrity issue because some people get into the mindset and security of their position in the AF and tend to forget the daily life of their own job. i've seen NCOs neglect even pulling out the T.O. to hook up to a munitions trailer, then turn around and burn the first airman they see doing the same thing.

as for the asthma, it really all depends on u man. can u do extensive PT, for 6 1/2 weeks, without ur meds? i believe, honestly, that they dont accept anyone who already has asthma, or maybe a severe-enough case of asthma. if u develop it, however, while in the military, then u culd probably stay in. i've seen a flight member in basic suffer an asthma attack the first week and he got the boot, not to mention the MEPS he processed thru kept it under wraps. personally, i'd say its not worth it.. even though u may not be an "airman" until completion of basic training, u have still falsified official documents to even be accepted to go to basic training (if u so choose to deny any asthma accounts).

for AF shaping - they're looking at forcing early retirement for those who hold office-jobs/managerial positions, booting those on the fat-boy program, getting rid of the airmen that have bad enough PIFs, etc. ..as for getting in, u probably shuld score high on ur ASVAB and have a near-perfect medical to increase ur chances of acceptance, but they're still accepting. heck, i'd say in about 2 yrs from now, AF will be screaming for more people to join. ...its just a vicious cycle. its been done before, its happening now, and it will happen in the future.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ All excllent and valid points.

My career ended with an Art 15 because I did not inspect a pallelt lift before use, even though it was inspected 11:55pm the previous day, I came in at 7am to use it, and, didn't do the inspection. QA literally RAN over (that was a violation) and nailed me a safety fail. Funny enough, it was a TSgt. helping me USE the lift, but I got nailed for it (being a SSgt.), with the Art 15 on my record I was let go, force shaped out, over THAT!

Was it fair, hell no. Do people drag the TO out for EVERY task? HELL NO! Is the military full of hypocrites? HELL YES!

WE're not all perfect, but why START your military career on a "lie"?
Old 12-14-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

good, valid points - we're not all perfect. sucks to hear that u got slammed with an Art. 15 for somethin like that, then the AF force-shaped u out. i've always been told that when NCOs have *any* kind of paperwork in their PIFs, its never a good thing. Airmen, however, can usually get away with the excuse "they're just an airman, they didnt know any better" or "improper training."

another good point - why start ur military career out in a "lie" ? quite honestly dude, if u've had to put up with a real hard upbringing, had barely any education, barely any food on the table as a kid, and just skimmed by on the ASVAB, and the military is the only way, in ur mind, that u can essentially start a new life, then lying about smoking pot once or twice really shuldnt hold u back from at least trying. *most* people, in the military, know if ur lyin or not about somethin that minor. is the drug going to become addictive for u in ur career? do u suffer from it now? how long has it been since u last burned? heck, back in the day, people were writing the number "18" and putting it in their shoes, so when the recruiter asked them if they are over 18, they werent "lying" per se. those people *knew* they were about to get shipped off to the war..

its about the heart. u have to ask urself, "am i ready to start a new life, to adopt new standards of living, and to learn respect and dignity for those lawfully appointed over me?" up to u man. just because u dont lie on ur enlistment paperwork doesnt mean u wont lie after becoming an Airman.

Quick Reply: Plans after graduation