Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

MILITARY "FOR SALE" SECTION?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 05:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Military "for Sale" Section?

So, what do you guys think about putting together a military “FOR SALE” section?
It would give us the opportunity to buy and sale stuff to and from people who understand the difficulties with overseas duty stations, deployments, field training, military schools, and other military specific situations that make it tough for us when it comes to dealing with shipping and monitoring for sale adds when items take longer than a few days to sale?

SPONSORS
Many sponsors already offer some military discounts. Maybe we could get sponsors to offer “Military Group Sales” Or maybe even specific days with greater discounts for military folks like Veterans Day, Memorial Day, MILITARY PEOPLE ROCK day… or whatever. Or Speacial Military shipping rates!! that would probablly help the most for the overseas guys

What do you guys think?

Chris

Last edited by chrismcdaniel; 12-27-2006 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

someones up late LOL

+1 for mil for sale section
Old 12-27-2006, 06:00 AM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

+2 on that one hell ya.. So many troops risk their lives to give us freedom day in and out. That is the least a company could do. Regardles of personal views on the war.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

+3 on this one baby!!!! For Us By Us
Old 12-27-2006, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

+4 makes sense..
Old 12-27-2006, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

+5 .....
Old 12-27-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds grand!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

I also think that if its going to be a Military ForSale section, that the buyer/seller needs to be required to post up what command/ship/unit theyre attached to.

I only say that to help fight against fraud. Its alot easier to get your money back from a bad seller/buyer if you call someones commander....and its alot easier to do that if you know where theyre stationed at.

just my .02
Old 12-27-2006, 08:24 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
I also think that if its going to be a Military ForSale section, that the buyer/seller needs to be required to post up what command/ship/unit theyre attached to.

I only say that to help fight against fraud. Its alot easier to get your money back from a bad seller/buyer if you call someones commander....and its alot easier to do that if you know where theyre stationed at.

just my .02
I agree. If full name, rank, command/ship/unit aren't provided, then this would just be another classifieds forum like we already have. In order to justify creating a new classifieds section, there needs to be more specific info provided.

As for Military sales, several of our sponsors will give you 'sale' pricing if you just ask them and email/fax them a copy of your military ID. Pretty much any day of the year.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Even if rank and all that are provided, someone can just make it up anyway, so whats the point? Anyone can post up rank and a unit name.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by brad8266
Even if rank and all that are provided, someone can just make it up anyway, so whats the point? Anyone can post up rank and a unit name.
they might make it up....but you can also call to check before you buy/sell.

if im buying a 2000$ rear from some guy who says he's in the Amry stationed at Ft ****** and is in 44th Trans Batt or something...you best believe im going to call them and make sure he's there...

and if you call them and talk to someone in charge and explain why you're calling....im sure they will understand.

Ill buy small things here and there on forums...but big ticket items, i will only buy from Mods/Admins, or people i know or a friend of mine knows. Im not going to send some random guy 2000 bucks on a whim.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

email addresses are the key.

Tony: If youre going to make a specific Military Forsale Forum....you need to make it a private forum, and the only way to get access is to provide a valid miltary email address.

Everyone in the military is provided an email account. Im on the USS Shreveport (LPD-12), and my email address is cmedick@shreveport.navy.mil And i know a bunch of people in other branches, and they all have email accounts as well. So if you say you dont have one....then you better talk to someone in your chain of command, and get one.

I think thats the best solution...

So, i think to get access to the forum, you need a valid email....and in every thread, at minimum, you should have:

Name:
Email Address:
What your selling:
Price:
Pictures:

Example:
Name: Christopher Medick
Command/Unit/Ship: USS Shreveport (LPD-12)
Email Address: cmedick@shreveport.navy.mil
What your selling: Air
Price: 1 million dollars
Pictures:

Old 12-27-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well Ok but I still see plenty of room for fraud here, and this could result in an innocent soldier/airmen/sailor/marine having to stand in front of the commander over something he knows nothing about and will tarnish that persons rep.

Anyone could fraduently give you information. Its not like you even know my name so i could just make it up. I could give you the name of someone else in my own unit that I dont like and you will call and verify that that person is there, which he is, and then I screw you over and he has to go stand in front of commander and explain himself, very embarassing.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

email addresses are the key.

Tony: If youre going to make a specific Military Forsale Forum....you need to make it a private forum, and the only way to get access is to provide a valid miltary email address.

Everyone in the military is provided an email account. Im on the USS Shreveport (LPD-12), and my email address is cmedick@shreveport.navy.mil And i know a bunch of people in other branches, and they all have email accounts as well. So if you say you dont have one....then you better talk to someone in your chain of command, and get one.

I think thats the best solution...
Military email doesnt work either. I am a civilian yet i have 2 military email accounts because my job requires it since I work with the military.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Military email doesnt work either. I am a civilian yet i have 2 military email accounts because my job requires it.
ok, so, as with any online for sale forum, some sort of 'trust' is required. But even though youre a civilian, you are obviously some sort of contractor working for the gov't. So, it with a name and email (which will be matching of course), it wouldnt be too hard to find you.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

ok, so, as with any online for sale forum, some sort of 'trust' is required. But even though youre a civilian, you are obviously some sort of contractor working for the gov't. So, it with a name and email (which will be matching of course), it wouldnt be too hard to find you.
No you wouldnt find me, if my information is given out it is illegal.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

No you wouldnt find me, if my information is given out it is illegal.
OK, so if you cant provide a name and email, you cant buy/sell in that forum then...

And how would it be illegal to give out your email? If its unclass, then it isnt. If its on the Hi side, then its still not illegal to give it out. but noone here could email you on that email. (well, i could, but thats different)
Old 12-27-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

OK, so if you cant provide a name and email, you cant buy/sell in that forum then...
I would give you my name/email, but if I screw you over the military has no juristiction over it.

Trust me, I like the idea, but there is too much at stake doing something like this. An innocent person can have his/her career messed up over a stupid online transaction, even if they werent involved, it just aint worth it. I know how this works, i had a renter give me a hard time, and he was kind of a friend of mine, but he screwed me over really bad so i got hold of the commander and he lost a promotion over it. I would hate to see that happen to someone that did nothing wrong.

Last edited by brad8266; 12-27-2006 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

I would give you my name/email, but if I screw you over the military has no juristiction over it.
Were not saying the military would have jurisdiction over it....point is, its harder to scam someone if you can always find out where they are. And im sure if you have a contractor job with the military, they wouldnt be too fond of you if they found out you were commiting internet/mail fraud..
Old 12-27-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

And how would it be illegal to give out your email? If its unclass, then it isnt. If its on the Hi side, then its still not illegal to give it out. but noone here could email you on that email. (well, i could, but thats different)
I know but you are not going to get my name, position or anything like that from someone. What would you do with my name or email, it wont help you get your $$.

Quick Reply: MILITARY "FOR SALE" SECTION?