Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Selling Car Overseas

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Selling Car Overseas

If I got orders somewhere overseas, say Germany, would it be worth it for me to take my car and try to sell it up there? I remember hearing that our cars could sell for more up there. Is there any truth to this?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive heard alot of people tell me that while they were stationed in germany, that the locals absolutely adored any American muscle. so i wuldnt be surprised if u culd sell it for good dough.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

I was also told that for locals(germans) to buy american cars, they would have to pay some kinda of tax which was kinda alot. anyone have experiance selling american cars overseas?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Teching In

you can sell your car to the locals but its a tricky process, you would need to talk to the vehicle registration place out here in Germany (where im stationed). Ive never done it but i heard of my buddy selling his truck for a lot more then it was worth and another guy i work with said that a german offered him 50 thousand euros (about 70 thousand dollars) for his base model corvette. But if you do come out here keep in mind it snows a lot and they use a crap load of salt out ehre
Old 01-01-2007, 07:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PotentialZ28
you can sell your car to the locals but its a tricky process, you would need to talk to the vehicle registration place out here in Germany (where im stationed). Ive never done it but i heard of my buddy selling his truck for a lot more then it was worth and another guy i work with said that a german offered him 50 thousand euros (about 70 thousand dollars) for his base model corvette. But if you do come out here keep in mind it snows a lot and they use a crap load of salt out ehre
Cool thanks for the info. I know you from Norcal-ls1. I dont post much there due to the bad responses everyone gets.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:24 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Its not that hard to sell over here in Germany. It just involves paperwork with the military and the German customs office. If your car is modded and it shows or it can't pass emissions than it probably won't sell . Car inspections for germans are 10 times more stressing and indepth than California ever thought of doing.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, do it. Believe me when. To us the import Tax and the fees are high to us, but it's normal for them. They do like American Muscle. Porsche's are a dime a dozen there. It is a process, but well worth it.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have to pay the duties or what ever the hell they call that stuff. Might be a pain but could be worth it. The thought of selling my SS here in england crossed my mind a few times.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:36 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well whatever you do bring the car! You'll be pissed if you don't. Snow? Yeah it snows but not always. Here in K-town (Kaiserslautern aka Ramstein AB) no snow has dropped at all. Some yrs are worse than others so that's what the beater is for.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Teching In

I just watched part of a show on MSNBC I think it was and these cars, along with corvettes, pull crazy money over there....especially in Arab nations for some reason....but, yeah, you'd have to check with regulations or what not, but it will sell!

Quick Reply: Selling Car Overseas