Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

In Germany or have been to Germany??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default In Germany or have been to Germany??

I got orders to Ramstein today and am trying to decide about brining my car over there. What kind of inspection does the car have to have and would I be ok bringing the SS there with an off road y-pipe?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

i never owned mine while over there but i am pretty sure you would have to tone it down def to pass their inspection. its ridiculas what they inspect for. i know there is a few guys on here over there now with LS1s. barksdale to germany gonna be nice.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:47 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You better bring it dude or you'll be pissed. Come visit us! Check my sig for the link!
Inspection. Well that has changed honestly but it's still passable.

1. No tint on the front windows period. Automatic fail until removed
2. DB check for the exhaust is coming. No louder than 90db @ 1/2 max rpm. They're still working this one as they have to have correct testing procedures etc.

Don't even worry about cats they don't check that or sniff the tail pipe.

We also have 1on1 racing at Bitburg a hr from here during the summer, 1/4 and autox. Plenty of car get togethers and car show's all over europe. You are coming at the right time!

Any other questions feel free to ask. I'm at Sembach which is 20 mns from Ramstein.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bring it bring it bring it I missed mine so then I bought a second one (lemon) but still fun to have it over hear a lot of mustangs to play with and other things. Is your car a 6 speed or an auto? If a 6 speed you will love the autobahn I would cruise over 100mph all the time and still get decent gas mileage.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SRZ
You better bring it dude or you'll be pissed. Come visit us! Check my sig for the link!

2. DB check for the exhaust is coming. No louder than 90db @ 1/2 max rpm. They're still working this one as they have to have correct testing procedures etc.

We also have 1on1 racing at Bitburg a hr from here during the summer, 1/4 and autox. Plenty of car get togethers and car show's all over europe. You are coming at the right time!

Any other questions feel free to ask. I'm at Sembach which is 20 mns from Ramstein.
Thanks for the invite! Checked out the website, looks pretty cool. I have a borla catback so I will put the block off plate on it and hopefully that will keep it under 90 DB. My RNLTD is 31 Oct so I should be there around then. Look forward to hanging out with you guys.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98 T/A raptor
Bring it bring it bring it I missed mine so then I bought a second one (lemon) but still fun to have it over hear a lot of mustangs to play with and other things. Is your car a 6 speed or an auto? If a 6 speed you will love the autobahn I would cruise over 100mph all the time and still get decent gas mileage.
Car is a 6 speed! I'm sure I would love the autobahn anyway. I lived in Baumholder when I was too young to drive and I loved it then.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:51 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Look forward to meeting you. This is my last whoorah as I pcs next May. Hell I had a good run as it'll be 8 yrs stationed at Ramstein/Sembach.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:11 AM
Staging Lane

I'm leaving this May.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been there but didnt take the vette i had at the time... wish i would have, but didnt...
Old 03-11-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BRING IT!!!

One word, NURBURGRING!!!

Old 03-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SRZ

This statement is halfway ture. It's 80db not 90db I have the Oct98 CAR AND DRIVER mag that test drove my car when it came out and when they tested the 99Z28SS. It says"You can certainly hear the SS Camaro's exhuast note harden at full throttle as the speed rises (although at 81dBA, it's still 2dBA quiter than the last Z28 we tested)"when it yells an empathic V-8 roar. They started to enforce the new standard back in last November. I went one week after it started and failed(96db) W/ just the LM. But......I found a way to beat the system once again! Here's the deal don't go telling all the RICERS ok, I mean it!! If you do... It will mess it up for all of us like the take the fuse out w/ the windows down for the tint trick!!! Alright now that I made this clear What you do is take it to the German TUV(ask a German where this is it is where they go to get inspected) and say you want a vehicle inspection for US specs it will cost under 50 euro to do so. They do all the same stuff brake test you name it. They really trip out to tell you the truth beacuse to them it's not something thay see every day. Like the live axle what's this a truck axle in a car???? And they will be more than glad to pass you. And by the way I am in Mannheim and would love to tag along w/ you guys somtime to Bitburg.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got back from Ramstein about 8 months ago and had my 99 SS there the whole time. I had zero problems with the inspection. They do test brakes on the brake machine, they do get under the car, and they do check to make sure everything functions well, but everything is for safety purposes. I worried about how loud my car was (flowmaster catback with stock cats) but they didn't even blink an eye at it. Obviously I'm not a loudmouth, but there were plenty of guys out there that had way louder exhaust and it wasn't a problem.

Worst case scenario you fail, they give you 30 days to fix it. Hell with that kind of time you can borrow someones catback and go get it passed then swap yours back in later.

Big thing is the tips CAN'T extend beyond the rear bumper (there may be a certain length but I think its at all), they will actually check.

Take SRZ advice and go to www.fbodyeurope.org there are some folks out there that will be more then happy to help. In fact I know a guy Jerry (KC10A is his member name on fbodyeurope.org) out there that swapped his stock 02 SS catback for a GMMG and I'm sure he still has the stock catback he might let you use - no promises. Just a thought, but there is a pretty tight fbody community out there and if your active on the website, they'll help you out.

Bitburg is cool, slightly up hill though and crappy 60ft times, but hey it's 1/4mile in Germany where they use the metric standard so its great. Definately do Nurburgring at least once, you'll never have the chance again, but don't be stupid...drive to survive not for times.

Good luck and watch the autobahn, lots of hard braking from 140mph to 60mph because a truck pulls in front of you quickly yields brake fade and bad juju.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

They just started enforcing the db testing. There have been a few people having problems getting by even with cats and mufflers. I will see soon when I get my heap back on the road.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:35 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slayer63b
This statement is halfway ture. It's 80db not 90db I have the Oct98 CAR AND DRIVER mag that test drove my car when it came out and when they tested the 99Z28SS. It says"You can certainly hear the SS Camaro's exhuast note harden at full throttle as the speed rises (although at 81dBA, it's still 2dBA quiter than the last Z28 we tested)"when it yells an empathic V-8 roar. They started to enforce the new standard back in last November. I went one week after it started and failed(96db) W/ just the LM. But......I found a way to beat the system once again! Here's the deal don't go telling all the RICERS ok, I mean it!! If you do... It will mess it up for all of us like the take the fuse out w/ the windows down for the tint trick!!! Alright now that I made this clear What you do is take it to the German TUV(ask a German where this is it is where they go to get inspected) and say you want a vehicle inspection for US specs it will cost under 50 euro to do so. They do all the same stuff brake test you name it. They really trip out to tell you the truth beacuse to them it's not something thay see every day. Like the live axle what's this a truck axle in a car???? And they will be more than glad to pass you. And by the way I am in Mannheim and would love to tag along w/ you guys somtime to Bitburg.
Slayer here in K-town it's 90db unless it's changed once again in the last month. It's still at 1/2 max rpm right? I've got a friend that owns a Fox body working out of Cambell barracks who is bringing his car up to Ramstein for inspection as they failed him at Mannheim this past wk. We're more lenient it seems. Forgot what he failed for but I believe it was his exhaust. Hey if you aren't busy this wkend come down Ramstein. Some of us are getting together Sat at the hobby shop w/ the Mustang folks as we're all trying to build a ritual every other 2 wks to meet up there and then go cruise.
German TUV? No way I'd NEVER pass that but that's a neat trick.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

What time yall going to be at ramstein?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:42 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Chris they'll be there at 0900 that morning if I'm not mistaken. Can't check Mighty from here but it's posted on their event section. Sembach sucks!
Old 03-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Teching In

SRZ that's sounds kool I might have to take you up on that. As far as 80 or 90 DBa they told me 80 and as you said half of your rpms (if not they are skrewing people here). They faild a lot of guys here I know too like a STOCK srt4 and a suv w/ flows that come to mind. I think you would pass there at the TUV as for they are not about politics like on base becuase they are not in-cahoots w/ MWR LOL. They know what American cars are all about. BIG DISPLACMENT not army regs.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:54 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Slayer what color is your SS? Hey if you can come up that would be great! I guess I need to go and get temp tags. I was trying to hold out until the 19th of this month but the weather is too tempting.

Believe me I wouldn't pass TUV. LOL! I've got several German friends w/ Fbodies that barely pass and they're stock.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:27 AM
Teching In

My SS is arctic white w/ polished ZR1 wheels. I have the only SS around this area (I think?). I still tell poeple when they seen me driving that someone else has one just like mine but it's not as clean.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SRZ
Chris they'll be there at 0900 that morning if I'm not mistaken. Can't check Mighty from here but it's posted on their event section. Sembach sucks!

I know I was at ramstein for training and I could check mighty there.

Quick Reply: In Germany or have been to Germany??