Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Airman Leadership School?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Airman Leadership School?

i got 3day email notice that i'm going this friday30mar. is ALS hard? what should i expect? i'm not all that good at taking tests
Old 03-27-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a line number for SSgt.? or are you a SrA and they need slots to fill at your local ALS?

No, ALS isn't NOT hard. It's a lot of procedure, writing, and speeches. If your going to ALS then you've got enough time in to take the EPR's that you've been given for yourself, possibly been given a decoration, and I know for DAMN sure that you've got at least TWO feedbacks every 12 months. That's all it is, presenting (writing) EPR's, how to GIVE the feedback for your reporting Airman, among some other piddly stuff.

That's all ALS is, stupid paperwork crap and military tradition all over again. It's close to the same things as the PFE test, but instead, you are putting it in practice on a 6 week TDY.

Enjoy it! (it's like a 99.9% pass rate anyway, just do it!)
Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Teching In

I had fun at ALS...just put in some effort and pay attention. I mean you gotta really screw it up and put in zero effort in order to fail. The instructors are there to help and will not let you fail unless you're a total shitbag. Group studying helps out a lot with testing so take advantage of that.

The only thing I didn't like was my ALS was in residence...meaning we had to stay in the ALS dorms at night. We had a 2200 curfew on the weeknights except Friday, then we had to back by 2200 on Sunday. It's not like they checked but you never know. I don't know if your base has in residence ALS but even then it wasn't bad. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

i go to als on the 6th
Old 03-27-2007, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

Hey, I graduate ALS in 2 days!! Good luck to you!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it back in '02. Three papers and 3 speeches. I made it through and I never did one paper, nor one speech in high school. If I can do it with my Louisiana eduation anybody can.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thunderdan74
I did it back in '02. Three papers and 3 speeches. I made it through and I never did one paper, nor one speech in high school. If I can do it with my Louisiana eduation anybody can.
hmm...something's missing here...
Old 03-27-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaroguy_02
hmm...something's missing here...

Yea, but the women play good baseketball right???
Old 03-27-2007, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

I noticed my spelling as I posted but, I decided not to edit just to drive my point home!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I noticed my spelling as I posted but, I decided not to edit just to drive my point home!
yea yea yea, that's what they ALL say!!

Maybe we should get the forum owners to do a spell check before it submits the threads?
Old 03-27-2007, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Why didn't you put it in red like the EPRs? I could have fixed it and sent it back to you so you could say "This is all fluff where is the impact, and you can't use a -- before a ; with 2 sub bullets. It has always been like that." That's what they say when they change the "rules" on EPR wirtting.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why didn't you put it in red like the EPRs? I could have fixed it and sent it back to you so you could say "This is all fluff where is the impact, and you can't use a -- before a ; with 2 sub bullets. It has always been like that." That's what they say when they change the "rules" on EPR wirtting.
There are "rules" to EPR writing?? ???

The only rules that matter are the ones that the Flight Chief makes up. Speaking from experience now....
1. If it makes it to him/her (Flight Cheif) and hasn't been kicked back,
they will find SOMETHING wrong with it.
2. If the RO for that person is in trouble for some reason, they will find SOMETHING wrong with it.
3. If he/she's (Flight Chief) is an **** bastard with only a CCAF and think it's not right because "That's what it was when HE/SHE was in High School", it gets kicked back.
4. If you miss a semi colon and it should have been a colon, even though a colon is GRAMATICALLY correct, it get kicked back.
5. It must be kicked back to the writer at LEAST 5 times (As noted on the blue folder front cover page), it will get kicked back.

.... I'm sure ya'll can think of other reasons for EPR's to make it back across your desk/shop level.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

EPR's suck. I just finished one last month and Im currently doing another thats already been KICKED BACK once...bastards. I have three troops to write on while most in my squadron have 1.

ALS is easy as hell. I did it back in 03 and had fun...just take it for what it is..." a glass house, lol "
Old 03-27-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99WS7
EPR's suck. I just finished one last month and Im currently doing another thats already been KICKED BACK once...bastards. I have three troops to write on while most in my squadron have 1.

ALS is easy as hell. I did it back in 03 and had fun...just take it for what it is..." a glass house, lol "
That's true...

A "5" is easier to write than a "2" or a "1", that's for sure. Even though a "3" should be the "norm".

A "1" is a PITA!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

PME sucks! But the good thing is that it designed for you to pass. Basically the only way you can fail is if you show up fat as hell and can't pass a PT test and look like the Michelin man in your blues. It's a joke really. And then the crappy thing is that you have to buy your commander and shirt a ticket to come see your graduation whether you want to or not. Just wait unitl you go to NCO acadamy. I love serving my country and would gladly sacrifice my life for her but come 5 Jan 15 I am done with the military. 20 years is all they get.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitz
Do you have a line number for SSgt.? or are you a SrA and they need slots to fill at your local ALS?

No, ALS isn't NOT hard. It's a lot of procedure, writing, and speeches. If your going to ALS then you've got enough time in to take the EPR's that you've been given for yourself, possibly been given a decoration, and I know for DAMN sure that you've got at least TWO feedbacks every 12 months. That's all it is, presenting (writing) EPR's, how to GIVE the feedback for your reporting Airman, among some other piddly stuff.

That's all ALS is, stupid paperwork crap and military tradition all over again. It's close to the same things as the PFE test, but instead, you are putting it in practice on a 6 week TDY.

Enjoy it! (it's like a 99.9% pass rate anyway, just do it!)

nope, i came up on the list. this will be my 3rd time testing for staff like i said, i'm not to good at taking tests. but if someone read it to me, i'ld pass with flying colors
Old 03-28-2007, 04:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NO CATZZ
PME sucks! But the good thing is that it designed for you to pass. Basically the only way you can fail is if you show up fat as hell and can't pass a PT test and look like the Michelin man in your blues. It's a joke really. And then the crappy thing is that you have to buy your commander and shirt a ticket to come see your graduation whether you want to or not. Just wait unitl you go to NCO acadamy. I love serving my country and would gladly sacrifice my life for her but come 5 Jan 15 I am done with the military. 20 years is all they get.
Are you bitter ?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NO CATZZ
28 DEC 2017 for me! Good luck to you.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99WS7

The secret to EPR's is not to spend too much time on them the first time around. It will never make it through the first time anyways. At least that the way it is around here, the Chief just has to put his mark on it no matter how much work you put into it.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

I loved ALS! Being I'm guard (full-time) it was a 6 week TDY in Panama City Beach

Quick Reply: Airman Leadership School?