Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

AF rant

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default AF rant

So I was thinking why did I join? This new AF is different and it sucks. I have been noticing that everyone is trying to be better then the other joe and just **** things up instead. Why is that? Why do we need change. Why do we change what is proven. I know that change can be good but as soon as a new guy comes in he must implement base "x" idea and **** up the proven way of doing things. Do the people that work for you mean **** anymore? People under you make you and if you **** them over you **** them off and then they dont care anymore. I haven't been in the AF for very long just over 10 years and damn I seen a AF that used to take care of each other to a AF that ***** each other over and gives you run-arounds if you need something done.

Force shaping-
There may be good ideas like saving money and sending our experience to other branches.
Bad well there is a lot of that. I noticed that -135 Crew Chiefs are more inexperienced or dont give a **** and lost the pride. They used to have it once upon a time. But now they are getting basically booted out. Now I see acft that I used to work on or crew come in trashed and looking like **** the forms look like **** too. But why should they care, right? AF dont want them. I been noticing that morale and quality of things are going down hill. But the "higher ups" think that everything is fine and dandy because they ignore reality and pretend or convince themselves that yeah we can do this everything is fine. They think we but its us the little people that suffer.

Rank-
I know I am to blame that I am still a E5 but hey I really am a bad test taker. So why is it that every other branch has an easier time making rank? When I was in Greece there was a TA Navy guy that was an E6 that I used to shoot the **** with well come to find out he been in for 5 years! 5 years! A ******* E6. He said there are study groups! You study in a group in the AF and kiss that stripe good bye. My friend in the Army we came in the same time he's about to pin on E7 or did already. Why can't the AF be like that?

The job-
Why cant we just do it? Everyone knows what must be done to fix it. We have manuals whatever but then you have all the BS that comes with a task. You need googles rubber gloves etc etc. for chemicals but then they expect you to dispose of human **** and **** with no PPE? Dont get me wrong PPE is important and safety is paramount but wait a minute. before you start your job you better follow AF instruction blah blah then your command instruction then wait your base has another instuction oh **** your SQ has an instruction too. 10,000 different ways or trump after trump to do this. Sucks if you only know about 1 instruction cause QA is going to **** you over because you didnt know and they need fails.

I have a ton more stuff to whine and bitch about but I feel shitty today and decided to waste some time. BTW i'm not a **** bag at work actually im one of the guys that always works cause I dont like sitting around.

Oh yeah this morning I get yelled at because the crew came out. Well I was vaccuming the jet because that is what they want due to recent FOD findings on QA insp and I get yelled at for it. Taking initiative gets you nowhere sometimes. Sad thing is that I used to be the DCC on this acft now I am at another base doing mx team stuff. Kinda feels like I have been demoted.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Air Force FTL!! Thats what you get for being in the more lax branch, slow promnotions. E6 is easy to get in the army in 5 years, just show up, do good PT, show up to work on time, and do your job, too easy. I know 7 year E7's.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

im a reservist but i feel the same way, all the reason's you just put up at top is why im getting out after my enlistment is up, the biggest one being everytime we get a new commander we get a ton of new BS to do and it doesnt make anything better than it was before and sometimes worse all so they can have something nice on thier resume for thier next star

Ive had some good times and its been fun but i am sick of dealing with all the bullshit that has been going around lately, 2 more years to go, and i should be putting E-5 later on this year hitting my 5 year mark at the end of this year, ill see if i stay in or not, my unit had a major restructuring last year and at the beginning everything looked good but it went downhill fast after that, if there are some major improvements before my times up i might stay in
Old 04-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
Why do we need change. Why do we change what is proven. I know that change can be good but as soon as a new guy comes in he must implement base "x" idea and **** up the proven way of doing things.
Because when a new bastard rolls in he feels he needs to "leave his mark" by changing things to his likings....sort of like when a stray dog comes on your property and "claims it as his" by pissing all over every thing he sees.

I do agree with you though, if I go to a new shop right now and were the head honcho, I wouldn't change the way things were done unless their current way of doing it was out of/not in accordance to regulation or something along those lines. Otherwise all it does is creates confusion and animosity amongst those that have been there since forever.

Force shaping-
There may be good ideas like saving money and sending our experience to other branches.
Bad well there is a lot of that. I noticed that -135 Crew Chiefs are more inexperienced or dont give a **** and lost the pride. They used to have it once upon a time. But now they are getting basically booted out. Now I see acft that I used to work on or crew come in trashed and looking like **** the forms look like **** too. But why should they care, right? AF dont want them. I been noticing that morale and quality of things are going down hill. But the "higher ups" think that everything is fine and dandy because they ignore reality and pretend or convince themselves that yeah we can do this everything is fine.
Rank-
I know I am to blame that I am still a E5 but hey I really am a bad test taker. So why is it that every other branch has an easier time making rank? When I was in Greece there was a TA Navy guy that was an E6 that I used to shoot the **** with well come to find out he been in for 5 years! 5 years! A ******* E6. He said there are study groups! You study in a group in the AF and kiss that stripe good bye. My friend in the Army we came in the same time he's about to pin on E7 or did already. Why can't the AF be like that?
Gee I don't know....but why do you need study groups? What's the definition of a "bad test taker"?

Do you know your AFSC? Do you know your A.F. stuff? If you answered "yes" and "yes" then what's the problem? That's what they test you over. Besides if I'm not mistaken I believe they only give the best of the best of the best test scorers a line number for tech, so you might be hot ****, and you passed, you just didn't fall in the window of "who's gonna get it"....know what I mean?

Guess you could join the Army or Marines, then you'll make your rank quickly.....just be ready for 10 times the **** you deal with now, then you might reconsider the military....

The job-
Why cant we just do it? Everyone knows what must be done to fix it. We have manuals whatever but then you have all the BS that comes with a task. You need googles rubber gloves etc etc. for chemicals but then they expect you to dispose of human **** and **** with no PPE? Dont get me wrong PPE is important and safety is paramount but wait a minute. before you start your job you better follow AF instruction blah blah then your command instruction then wait your base has another instuction oh **** your SQ has an instruction too. 10,000 different ways or trump after trump to do this. Sucks if you only know about 1 instruction cause QA is going to **** you over because you didnt know and they need fails.
You can blame having to have PPE on the dumbass that "didn't know" to not get that overspray from the windex in his eyes while washing the windows....he's the same ************ that got fireworks banned in most states because he doesn't know how to read and comprehend to "light fuse get away".....need to give clowns like this an idiot test.

I feel your pain my brother, it's a shame people are most stupider than they were. Nowadays you do something stupid, expect a lawsuit. It's sad....[/QUOTE]
Old 04-03-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I totally feel you on all that ****. I'm tired of allof this **** too. The only time that I felt like everything was as it should have been was while I was in Japan. Nobody here gives a **** about anything. Their all lazy, out to screw you, kinda people and it blows. My AFSC only has 20 CJR's authorized this year, what kinda **** is that? If I wasn't getting married I'd be on my way out the ****** door.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know EXACTLY how you feel.....

I was forced shaped out during the first round in 2004. I WANTED to stay, I did my job, made rank, but they felt just cuz I didn't decide in THEIR time frame that I was going to re-enslit. oh well their loss.

If it makes you feel any better....it's the SAME in the civilian world. I'm finding the SAME crap and bull **** in my civilian job than I did in the military.

But, I know where your coming from. You've already put in 10 years.....your half way to retirement, stick it out brotha!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rothman
I totally feel you on all that ****. I'm tired of allof this **** too. The only time that I felt like everything was as it should have been was while I was in Japan. Nobody here gives a **** about anything. Their all lazy, out to screw you, kinda people and it blows. My AFSC only has 20 CJR's authorized this year, what kinda **** is that? If I wasn't getting married I'd be on my way out the ****** door.
My AFSC has 12 this year... fortunately I don't have to deal with that yet
Old 04-03-2007, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

I am at Cannon AFB NM, it sucks
Old 04-03-2007, 09:07 PM
SCRWS6

I`m Army
Had I never become a recruiter I would have laughed at you, but holy sh&t that describes recruiting to a T!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 02:04 AM
Launching!

Ok, I have to chime in here. If you don't like the AF, then maybe it is time for you to leave. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you reenlist. If you aren't happy with the way things are going....find something else to do. It's not that hard to make rank in the AF...you just have to know your ****. I made E-5 and E-6 first time testing for each. I missed E-7 by 2.5 points last year, but that is my fault for not studying hard enough for the skt. I don't blame my shortcomings on others, or the AF testing process. I studied harder this year, and am expecting to be selected for E-7. E-7 at 11 years is still way ahead of the power curve. I can't complain, the AF has been good to me. Maybe you should stop and think about what the AF has done for you, instead of what it hasn't done.

Also, accelerated promotion rates aren't always a good thing. A lot of times, you end up with someone who is not mature enough for the responsibility that comes with the higher rank.

To the OP, from what I have seen in your posts....you seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder about the AF. It's people like you who bring down the morale of a unit....always complaining. You complain long and loud enough, eventually your behavior starts rubbing off on others.....pisses me off to no end.

Last edited by HooliganZ; 04-05-2007 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
I am at Cannon AFB NM, it sucks
You work down the hall from me
Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That's why you make rank so that you can make a difference for others whether your peers or subordinates. 10 yr E5? If you can make E5 your can make Tech and MSgt etc. It's up to you whether you want it or not. Some of your points are valid to an extent but the bottom line is you can make a difference. I've seen Amn make changes only a SNCO could only dream of. Attitude is everything. So is having a backbone for standing up to what you believe in even if it isn't "popular".

Like others have said make a career move or get out. Trust me the civi world is no different w/ the exception you **** up you are literally out maybe w/out 2 wks notice. What other career can you do the things you do and still hold your job? Give that some thought.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

my main problem with the AF is the morale - or lack thereof - which brings duty effectiveness down. i hate it when i go to work an all the guys talk about is goin out to drink since there's absolutely nothing to do here....in JAPAN!!! holy **** dude!! u get the chance of a lifetime - many dream of, only few participate in - to travel the world, an u do the exact same thing u can do back in the States. if u like drinkin, or goin out to the bars, clubs, etc., then do that...but dont complain that its the only thing to do in the country ur in. for cryin out loud, i was stationed on "the rock" here in Okinawa, an people were tellin me that within the 1st 4 months of bein here, im gonna hate it. after i PCS'd 2 years later, i kinda missed the enviornment, an wished i had more time to get out an do stuff. u gotta realize that there are opportunities that Services give u to get out an explore for either a very low price, or, for free. wut civvy job offers that?

granted, O.R.E.'s/O.R.I.'s can suck, as well as any U.C.I.'s, turbo-CADS, etc., but if u look at the basics - u get a paycheck on the 1st and 15th of every month, u know wut ur gettin for money, u have free medical/dental insurance (as well as ur family), etc. - u'll realize that u have it made. granted, MPF can really screw up a paycheck, and u may get in trouble depending on how ur supervision is, but i honestly believe thats just few and far between. IMO, Legal does a great job at ensuring the "higher-ups" dont bust their privileges. case-in-point, my buddy got busted a rank for DUI, yet he didnt know it until a month after his official new date of rank when a TSgt. in our shop told him about it. *very* shortly after takin it up with Legal and filing an IG complaint, a Chief got in trouble, as well as a Maj. and Col. may no longer be promoted any higher. IMO, thats a huge hit.

dont get me wrong dude - i cant STAND those who make me work so they dont have to. IMO, just because u have rank doesnt mean u dont have to work. granted, the higher the rank, the more paper/deskwork ur gonna get into...but if ur just sittin out there, chillin, with absolutely nothing to do all day, an u see me sweatin it up outside, or takin on the elements, and do nothing to have my back if i mess up on the job, then, IMO, u shuldnt have that rank on ur sleeve. i've worked for NCO's who define the meaning of lazy, who simply push their stripes. i've also worked *alongside* NCO's/SNCO's who've gone out on a job with me, in the elements, and wanted me to teach them how things work out on the line, who've also had my back if i messed up. i've cause the AF appr. $12000 for a mistake i made when i helped out an NCO on his job, an i was supposed to get nailed pretty hard, but my shop chief, and that NCO, went to bat for me an i got an LOA out of it - thats it.

there *are* good people out there, but, as the OP eluded to, it just seems like those people are fading rather quickly...and that those good people are from the 'old school' AF. IMO, its up to me to make rank an make things right on my own since no one else will. i cant stand havin injustice exacted upon me, much less watch someone else suffer the same - all because someone let their promotion get to their head..
Old 04-05-2007, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Ahh im in a different mood now. But my supervision does suck ***. Hows this! I was out working today on a jet and I was the only crew chief on shift, anyway towards the end of the day 1-2 pm ish my pro super, MX officer, and expeditor took off to go mountian bike riding! Yeah that is the kind of **** that I am talking about. Im getting **** ready for Strategic Recon Ops and these guys go riding a bike somewhere. This kind of **** is just about everyday. Normally our pro sup says to go home after shift well he is never around to realease us. My Sect chief recently pcs'd in and can't believe the circus act that is going on around here. Anyways I seen that clown **** today and said to myself, you did a good job Ryan **** them. Alone I knocked out 2 insps and help trouble shoot 2 E&E write ups and some other crew chief **** around the jet. It was a pretty eventfull day. And I got hit up by QA and passed 2 follow ups and 2 other BS QA things w/ zero defects. I aint a **** bag by any means but I am not crew chief of the year either. Just a normal a joe that takes pride in his job and does it right the first time. **** that I did today aint no big deal. I normally get commented on how I can deal with all these guys yelling on getting **** done this and thats and stay cool headed the whole time not stress out a bit. But when **** is fucked up I voice my opinion dont get me wrong. I also keep to the mentality of work hard party harder.
I know its my fault and totally my fault for not making tech. last year I really dont want to count I was on pain pills on con leave and had to test. If I didnt I would not be able to retest. So drugged up and all on crutches I took the 15 mins to get up the stairs and into the testing room and missed it by 15. I studied like a **** to that is what pissed me off. Oh well but this year maybe we will see hahaha.
Maybe its time for change? I have been to 3 bases but stayed in the same command and wing. Over 10 years of the same **** same airplane. No matter what there are always gripes about things sometimes its good to get it out LOL. Nice to hear different inputs though.

Hooligan- AF has done a lot for me I have a education and other things that I am greatful for. That is about it. I can guarantee you that I will not be working on acft for as long as I live after I retire. But I take pride in everything I do. I was told that since I am only a staff that I cant be a lead tech. I laughed at them lead tech that is the stupidest **** made up our lead tech which is a tech asks me about **** hows that. **** my medal package for leaving Offutt got "lost". I have a laundry list of negative **** that the AF has presented to me. But yes it gave me the chance to further my education, see the desert region more times then you can shake a stick at, and have a family. I dont hate the AF one bit just common sense doesnt exist here.

Last edited by hawaiiboysz; 04-05-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaroguy_02
there *are* good people out there, but, as the OP eluded to, it just seems like those people are fading rather quickly...and that those good people are from the 'old school' AF. IMO, its up to me to make rank an make things right on my own since no one else will. i cant stand havin injustice exacted upon me, much less watch someone else suffer the same - all because someone let their promotion get to their head..
True dat!
Old 04-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Launching!

I got 9 more years left... just gotta stick it out until then! The AF is alot different (attitude wise) than when i joined in 1995. At my first assignemnt @ Nellis, the whole munitions flight was one big close-knit family. We had our issues, but for the most part we all got along well. We had true "AMMO calls" at the MINIMUM of once a quarter, where we'd shut down around noon on a Friday... we'd have FREE burgers, hotdogs... soda for the underage kids, beer for the grown-ups. And nobody really left early because we'd all have a good time.

Fast forward to 2007, and now we have "flight calls"... you have to pay for your food, and there is no beer in sight. And that's even if we HAVE a gathering in the first place. There's not much flight unity, most people are just looking to make themselves shine at another's expense. This may just be a unique situation at my current duty station, but I've been slowly noticing this downward spiral with each new duty station I get assigned to.

AMMO troops are like a brotherhood of sorts... or were at least. It's a shame too.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Hawaii - Sounds like you need a change in leadership....that definitely sounds like a circus! It may even be time to get some "higer ups" involved. I'm not one to jump the COC, but when they are the ones who are not doing their job....take it higher. Good luck with the situation there. I guess I have just been lucky enough to have competent leadership where I have been. And yes, I agree.....the esprit decorps has deteriorated since I joined in '96. We used to do the same thing.....now it seems that nobody wants to hang out after work is done. It also seems to be a closer knit group at overseas locations compared to stateside. That has been my observation at least.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen the same thing in my shop just in the last 2.5 years or so. When I first got here, at least 1 shift on a Friday would all cookout burgers and stuff for their lunch and have a good time out back. Doesn't sound like much, but I've not seen anyone do that in several years. Was kinda fun really..
Old 04-06-2007, 12:59 AM
Launching!

Sounds like you have USAFE'itis...

-justin
Old 04-06-2007, 02:56 AM
Staging Lane

What you said about 135s isnt totaly true its just hard to take pride and keep the jets the way they need to be when you come home between deployments long enough to do your training and hit the road again(usualy a week) alot of the guys i work with are gone so much they dont even have homes they live in the desert.Its also hard to take care of your jet when theres only 7 people per shift at home and there are 8 lines a day so its not all on us its the work load. If we werent comming and going so much our jets would be better and most of us would care alot more.

Quick Reply: AF rant