Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Marines Please Come In

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Marines Please Come In

Hello,

I would like to get some question's answered if you guy's don't mind. I am 25 and going to be 26 in may and also married with two kid's. I know I can't go active but will be able to join reserver's. Well my question's is if there is any other Marines here that where in my place before the joined up and how was it being away from you wife or Husban and kid's???? Also I have alway's wanted to be a Marine since I was a liettle kid because there is a lot of Marines in my family and the highest ranking is Master SGT. So any help with anything I need to know on this before I make my final choice on if I should go or do you think it's too late because I have a family already. Pleae any help will be greatful and I would like to add that my Wife is very supportive but not some other family memebers. I will take any advice I can get if it's too my question or anything I should know before hand. I say that because I have heard that Recrutor's are like Car Sale's man and do and say anything too get you to join.Thanks for reading my Noval LOL and for any help you give me.

Gilbert
Old 04-11-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

First of all Recruiter's are worse than any used car salesman. Second I am not 100% positive but I think that you should be able to join with a wife and 2 kids. Especially since the Marine Corps is trying to jack it's numbers up.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by import slayer
First of all Recruiter's are worse than any used car salesman. Second I am not 100% positive but I think that you should be able to join with a wife and 2 kids. Especially since the Marine Corps is trying to jack it's numbers up.

I can join with my 3 dependent's but no active. They told me that I can only join the Reserves and after 6 month's I can go Active. I could of sworn I have seen you post that you are DI here at the Cali Boot Camp.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

That's correct
Old 04-11-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's correct

Can you give me some head's up on what I would expect during Boot Camp??? Also what should I do to be read for the first PT test to past so I can go through Boot.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

The first PT Test you will take will be when you are at receiving the IST which consists of pull ups, crunches, and a mile and a half run. you have to do a bare minimum of 2 pull ups,45 crunches, and 1330 on the run to get into a training company. If you fail you will go to PCP physical conditoning platoon until you can pass the IST. If you do any kind of exersise at all the IST will be a cake walk.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

The first PT Test you will take will be when you are at receiving the IST which consists of pull ups, crunches, and a mile and a half run. you have to do a bare minimum of 2 pull ups,45 crunches, and 1330 on the run to get into a training company. If you fail you will go to PCP physical conditoning platoon until you can pass the IST. If you do any kind of exersise at all the IST will be a cake walk.
I can pass that now because I hit the gym 4 time's a week. I was over weight but droped 35lbs and can do the pull up's and run that in no time now. Thanks for the head's up and maybe I will have the pleasure of getting my *** chewed out by a fellow LS1 owner
Old 04-11-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you decide to join up, best of luck. I had no idea if you had three kids the wouldn't let you go active duty right away.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Adam98Z
If you decide to join up, best of luck. I had no idea if you had three kids the wouldn't let you go active duty right away.

Thanks and yhea I didn't know either.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Im 24 and have 2 kids, joined in May 03 and was off to bootcamp in Aug 03. Out of the 44 months Ive been in, Ive been away from my family a total of 29 months take a week or two, thats including bootcamp, deployments and workups, some people have it worse. Bootcamp is nothing but a mind game. The physical part is easy aslong as your in decent shape. Im on my 3rd deployment as we speak, 47 days left thank god, and I will be done for good. As far as being away from your family its just as hard for them as it is for you, but there is nothing like getting off the buses at Lejeune and having them waiting there. Try to go active if you ask me, seems like you get more out of it. Never heard of the having to be a reserve thing. Give it some thought its been hard at times but I wouldnt change anything. S/F
Old 04-12-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I joined in '90 and went through MCRD San Diego I remember we had a few recruits that were in thier mid 20's, married w/ kids. I dont know why they wont let you go active, seems kind of odd. Maybe Import Slayer can add something. Alot has changed since I got out in '00.

Originally Posted by 1fastbird
I could of sworn I have seen you post that you are DI here at the Cali Boot Camp.
For the love of christ and everything holy and sacred in this world (and your own personal safety), if you do go in, DO NOT EVER refer to your Drill Instructor as "DI". He will stomp a mudhole in your *** and march it dry.

Import Slayer, what Co. are you with?
Old 04-12-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why can't you go active? i've never heard having kids and such as a reason you can't go active.. besides, you're on active duty for the first year or so depending on how long your MOS school is.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Mike Company
Old 04-12-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rahmnja
Im 24 and have 2 kids, joined in May 03 and was off to bootcamp in Aug 03. Out of the 44 months Ive been in, Ive been away from my family a total of 29 months take a week or two, thats including bootcamp, deployments and workups, some people have it worse. Bootcamp is nothing but a mind game. The physical part is easy aslong as your in decent shape. Im on my 3rd deployment as we speak, 47 days left thank god, and I will be done for good. As far as being away from your family its just as hard for them as it is for you, but there is nothing like getting off the buses at Lejeune and having them waiting there. Try to go active if you ask me, seems like you get more out of it. Never heard of the having to be a reserve thing. Give it some thought its been hard at times but I wouldnt change anything. S/F

Thanks for the comment bro and yhea it is going to be hard without my wife and kid's. But I know the Marines will help become a better man and get me to my goal.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
When I joined in '90 and went through MCRD San Diego I remember we had a few recruits that were in thier mid 20's, married w/ kids. I dont know why they wont let you go active, seems kind of odd. Maybe Import Slayer can add something. Alot has changed since I got out in '00.

For the love of christ and everything holy and sacred in this world (and your own personal safety), if you do go in, DO NOT EVER refer to your Drill Instructor as "DI". He will stomp a mudhole in your *** and march it dry.

Thanks for the head's up. I didn't know that and I am glad I know now.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sgt0704
why can't you go active? i've never heard having kids and such as a reason you can't go active.. besides, you're on active duty for the first year or so depending on how long your MOS school is.

I don't know why. I was told that once I told them that I had 3 dependent's.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody else have anymore advice??? I am looking for a lot of different opinion's.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1FASTBIRD
But I know the Marines will help become a better man and get me to my goal.
That is so true. Before the USMC, I had no real goals, not motivated for anything. Now I'm a homeOWNER (in my name, not the banks) with more drive and actual goals than I would've probably never had. Best decision I ever made.

Semper Fi
Old 04-13-2007, 01:57 AM
Banned

1FASTBIRD, your going to be getting paid more than any of the PFC's or LCpl's around you, hahahahaha. I cant tell ya about MCRD San Diego, but PI sucked. Sand fleas and the heat. But like said before, its all a mind game. Do alot of running before you go, also get some weights and hold them out infront of you and then above your head etc. We always had to hold our loaded footlockers out when we were getting IT'ed. But in the end, they break everyone down. HAHA they have had over 200 years of trial and error. Deployments suck regardless. Im getting ready to go to Umm Qasr in June. GOOD LUCK
Old 04-13-2007, 07:42 AM
Teching In

You'll be surprised how many people can fit in one ******* stall, how much water you can drink before lights out, how heavy 7lbs becomes after a couple of minutes. All good times though. Mike Co, I was mike when I went through.

Quick Reply: Marines Please Come In