Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

switched services! leaving may 9th!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default switched services! leaving may 9th!

coming from the army and crossing into the blue. took almost two years to get to this point but it was worth it. i'll be keeping e-5 as well. there were only 40 prior service slots available this fiscal year and i got one. i'm going to lackland for a prior service crash course then it's back to good 'ol fort gordon. i'm coming home! *home, as in the military...not fort gordon
Old 05-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Teching In

congrats, best of luck
Old 05-02-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

so what are you going to be doing. Congrats on coming to blue! A lot of Army dudes I talk to say they wish they would have come into the Air Force.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99WS7
so what are you going to be doing. Congrats on coming to blue! A lot of Army dudes I talk to say they wish they would have come into the Air Force.
ME! But that was when I was in korea. Those air force peeps would never do pt.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Hhhmmm.....the AF is currently trying to reduce the amount of folks it has, how did you manage to translate from Army to AF?

FWIW the AF has had a "Blue to Green" program for awhile for those who wanted to stay military but the AF wouldn't let them for whatever reason....we just had a guy translate over to the Army but he did this on his own freewill as the AF wanted him to cross train into another career field and he wanted to become a 2LT.

Originally Posted by 99WS7
A lot of Army dudes I talk to say they wish they would have come into the Air Force.
Yeah....ain't that the truth.....
Old 05-02-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

um, might want to be sure on that Rank dude, they might slip you to E-4 and make you test for E-5, just a fair warning.

don't ever trust anybody until it actually happens. It wouldn't be fair for all the other E4's in whatever AFSC that you go into that you'll be given an automatic slot for E5, so that's one LESS slot to compete against and moves the cutoff even further out of reach.

Good luck tho!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:15 AM
NKAWTG...N

Whats your AFSC?

Curious because really I only see the AF expanding SF, SpecOps, and I think maint.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

MXG definately needs a boost in personnel, but i thought the new AF philosophy was "do more with less?" thats why we did the whole Palace Chase, Blue to Green, and even Force Shaping? still tryin to keep the same workload, only with less manning.

congrats on getting a slot in the AF tho dude.. what made u wanna switch over, if u dont mind me askin? ive heard the army's really not all that bad, but it more or less depends on ur career field/MOS?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

i'm an arabic linguist and my ts/sci is still active so that played a big role. the af only takes a handful of prior service jobs and you have to be already trained in the field. even if you offer to go into one of the shortages, if you're not already trained...it's a no go. when my packet got approved, some sergeant straight from hq called (i was pretty surprised he didn't call my recruiter first). this was the guy that handles all the prior service and he did all the details personally, so everything was straight from the horses mouth. but really, if he told me e-4, i'd take it...****, if he told me e-3 i would've taken it. i'd take the rank hit for the better quality of life (i still have 15 years to go). but fortunately, i didn't have to do that.

being a linguist, almost all the bases you go to will be joint service and you get a picture of how all the services are. the army isn't all that bad, and truthfully if the af didn't come through i was going to go back into the army.

needless to say, i was very fortunate to get in. when i was at meps the ncos there said i was the first prior service they have processed in 4 years! the af is limited to even new recruits so it's that much harder for prior service to get in. part of the two years of waiting was trying to find a recruiter who would actually do his job. i talked to 4 other af recruiters and they all claimed that arabic linguists were not needed (i found that hard to believe). when i finally found my recruiter, he said they were all full of **** and just lazy. he showed me the yearly memo of the prior service jobs (about a dozen) and said that linguists and SF are always on it. so if any MPs are thinking about it...the biggest thing is finding the right recruiter.

EDIT: if it wasn't clear in the first post, i completed my obligation with the army then enlisted into the af. a lateral change to the af while you're in the army is next to impossible.

Last edited by The Professor; 05-03-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

congrats and good luck i know you will like the change.

Quick Reply: switched services! leaving may 9th!