Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Question for you AF guys

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for you AF guys

I'm in the Marines (3 1/2 yrs) right now and I've got a few questions I'm hoping you can answere for me.

Alright, I get out around the begining of '09, now would I be able to join the AF guard and go to ROTC to become an officer? What are the procedures I need to do to make this a smooth cross over/transition/whatever? I'm looking to work out the little details right now to see if I actually really want to do this or if I even can do this.

Thanks for any answeres in advance.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Your best bet is to get out and go to ROTC while your out then re-join. It is very hard to get any school in while you in and its even harder to get a commision being enlisted in the AF. Most commanders wont let their airman go to OTS. This is just what i have seen in my 5.5 years in. Good luck though!!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks. Thats the exact answere I was looking for.

Another question, What exactly IS the AF Gaurd? I've got a guy that's former AF, he is a freind of my dad telling me that it is "extremely" selective. What I mean is they ask you, and you can say no to whatever.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

The airforce right now it is very very competative to get a comission. Right now were letting go something like 5 thousand company grade officers. They're just crazy overmanned. Are you trying to stay guard and be an officer or go active once you get your commission??? If you were to stay guard then it all depends on what manning that unit needs. Your best bet is to talk to the guard recruiter for that unit. They'll be able to help you out the best. But if it was me since you've allready been in, I would use my GI bill and get my degree then go back in. It probably would be a little bit easier for you. But again go talk to a recruiter and GOOD LUCK I hope you get it.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I just deployed with a guard unit last fall (i'm active just filled a guard slot) and from what I saw they were no different from the active guys. A few of them I wondered how they got in, LOL. The guard is like a reserve unit only they're state funded not federally. Just the the Army National Guard. A traditional guardsman is one weekend a month two weeks a year. Not a bad deal if you ask me.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Ok. So it's all just by chance on getting deployed and ****? Thats my peice of cake right there. I've volunteered to go to iraq 3 times and was denied each time, now I'm looking to never do it. I just need to see how I play my cards.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

Last edited by tCTech; 05-04-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Ok I'm having some serious problems with this computer right now. I can see my edit if I did one and it wont tell me if there are new posts. damn state computers.

I'm trying to edit in; I want to go officer and stay in the guard, if that's possible at all.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Hmmm... A Tsgt that I work with just got his OTS package approved, I guess he's the VERY small percentage thats getting by for OTS. I put mine in over 2 years ago as an A1C and didnt get it. But hopefully I can get my cross-train package or I'm out...
Old 05-04-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

i believe u have a much better chance of getting commissioned via AF if ur degree program is either technical- or medical-related. to really compete for the commissioning programs, u gotta have a minimum GPA of 3.5. ive heard of a story about an airman at langley got accepted and already got a pilot-slot before he became commissioned because he already had a degree and his private pilot's license. so im making an educated guess and saying that the easier u make it on the AF, the easier it is to get accepted.

just my 2 cents
Old 05-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ this is interesting news to me... I've not heard of a GPA requirement. I know right now force shaping is removing many members of active af (me being one of them) i took a guard contract back home and have made the best of it. THey are paying for my school and i'm working on my degree so i can apply for OTS.

I would suggest while you are established in a unit to get some letters of recommendation so when you are ready to apply you have that little help. I'll be kissing some political butts before submitting my application for OTS. Sounds almost wrong but you do what you can.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

i believe the GPA requirement only applies to ROTC-type programs/scholarships. if ur just goin straight to OTS, then that's different - u already got ur degree. the scholarship programs, however, are designed for those who either have college credit and need to finish it up, or, have not started college as of yet, hence the need for a minimum GPA to determine whether or not ur willing to stick it out for the program.

if im not mistaken, the minimum for most of those programs is like 2.7 or 3.0 or somewhere around that range...i know its not higher than 3.0. however, the important thing to remember is that to be remotely competitive, ur gonna need at least a 3.5.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did some homework.

ROTC is a competitive program where grades come into play but so does the "rounded person" thing. While in ROTC you have to maintain a 2.0 or higher. Basically exactly what everyone else has to obtain to graduate.

I did note that for piolt/nav your GPA does play a factor in selection. Doesn't matter the degree but does matter what kinda grades you got while getting it. The avg. applicant has a 3.13 Gpa i believe or something close to that. just FYI.

Quick Reply: Question for you AF guys