Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Thinking about Navy

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shoman, that is the best signature quote ever.

Marty
Old 10-02-2007, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shoman
All I have to say is think long and hard about whatever you have going for you there at home.

I enlisted in 05 and off to A school. I scored really well there, and was told that I would have the choice to pick where I wanted to go. I gave them 3 places- Ca, Fl, and lastly Japan. To make a long story short, I have been living in Atsugi, Japan for about 2 1/2 years now! Its kinda funny, anytime the Navy says you have a choice, they mean that if they dont need you to be somewhere first. In my case, they needed me in Japan, regardless of where I wanted to go!
On the downside, I have been out to sea every year since I got here. To some, it might sound great, but its on the USS Kitty Hawk! The oldest piece of rust in the sea! lol

But man, its all about experiences. Its garaunteed you will have a great time. Its impossible not to. Just listen to what people are telling you, and make sure you can really handle this life. I have seen many people come and go, because they couldnt handle it and just want to be home. I've only been home once since I have been in. Not by choice, mind you, but because our schedule is so chaotic. Im in aviaton aswell, by the way, but am going officer soon. You also have that option too!
Good luck!
Brandon
I can't believe you are complaining. The military promises you nothing but hard work and low pay (if you thought different sorry). You got your choice you picked Japan, Not your first choice but a choice none the less. You have only been in two years not a whole lot of time to be worried about every year.

Not trying to be a A$$ but you do not have it all that bad (unless you are married or have kids not with you).
Old 10-02-2007, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been in the Navy almost 6 years. Best decision of my life. It opens yours eyes and mind a lot and makes you a stronger person.

Doing 20 years is not for everyone though. Try it out, 4 years isn't much.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
I can't believe you are complaining. The military promises you nothing but hard work and low pay (if you thought different sorry). You got your choice you picked Japan, Not your first choice but a choice none the less. You have only been in two years not a whole lot of time to be worried about every year.

Not trying to be a A$$ but you do not have it all that bad (unless you are married or have kids not with you).
No, Im not complaining. I have learned to adapt and overcome with everyday in the Navy. I just wanted to give this guy some insight and good gouge before he makes a major decision in his life. I only think its fair to give him an honest opinion. I mean, Im going to be making this a career, and if it was that bad, I wouldnt. And in all honesty, I think Japan is a great place when it comes to fun. I have done more things out here than I ever thought possible stateside.
Best of luck again!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for all of the replies guys. i'm considering it more and more every day.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to Bud/s in the navy. graduate, you'll get $40,000. Re-enlistment bonus right now for Seals is $90,000.00. Best of all, you won't get stuck on a ship somewhere.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

^^Every cruise I have been on, we have had seals with us a good portion of the time. So thats not 100% true.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

carrier's yes... for a few weeks here and there to work CAS. no more ARG deployments for Seals though and I can count on 1 hand how many weeks I've been on a ship in 8 years.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

^^^ Yup we had them on the Vinson CVN-70 and the Nassau as well, Witch was a Gator Freighter. On the Nassau they were on there for almost the full duration of the Cruise. 9 1/2 months. How do I know this, they slept in my space, and When I went in there to take readings or to fire up the RO's, they had to be in there with me, cause all of there equipment was locked up in there. And that is were they slept. lol

But this was back in 2002-2003. So it probibly has changed.

Lane
Old 10-10-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

EN here, engineman. Stationed on a carrier and love it. There are alot of things to hate as well. Listen to good advice, do your PQS and get E2 at least. I jacked around and never finished it and came in as an E1. Don't collect that bonus until you go overseas. I just got to my first command a little over 2 months ago, so I am the FNG. It wasn't anything like I was scared into believing. Make the best of it, advance and look into things like the STA-21 officer programs!

Good luck in whatever you choose.

ENFA Jordan
Old 10-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Launching!

You cant tell him 100%how great it is. Its has 2 sides, and the other side sucks just as much. I am in the Sub side of things, and all i got to say is just remember 2 sides, they dont tell you all the shitty things,

Yea, you get to visit ports around the world - good
they dont tell you that while on westpac, medruns and all that , you will be out to sea for 6-8 months and only get to see 3-4 ports for a total of 10-15 days added up. --sucks

Yea, if you dont like your rate you can change, but by changing, you pretty much guaranteed yourself a setback in rank (you wont loss rank, but you wont have the knowledge to compete for the next rank)

You make decent money yes, but and this is a BIG BUTTTTTT.... ESP on subs, cause most surf boats duty is weak compared to a submariners duty.
you have to stay on the boat for a 24 hr period and stand 2 4-6 hour watchs every 3 (lucky comands have every 4 days)days. So that means you have duty free weekends ONCE a month, and if your division has work that HAS to get done, then guess what. <<<<<<That is the most sucky part

-------------

All in all I like what the navy will give me when i get out. ie- experience , ***. degree, and a ts clearance. plus a lot of stories that only other navy people will actually think are funny. but it can suck while you are in it.

One more thing to think about. Dont pick your rate cause of the bonus moneys, or extra pays.
Nuke Pay, you have to sign 6 year contracts, work wayyyyyyy later, and if you become nuke waste then you become undesn most of the time.
Sub Pay, you sign 5 yr, duty every 3 days, and you WONT have a life till you get your fish.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

AE3 checking in here. The Navy really turned my life around. I was doing nothing snd going nowhere fast. I look forward to going to work most days and I've done very well for myself in the two years I've been in so far. Not to blow my own proverbial horn, but since I've been in I've bought myself my 02 z28, a condo in a college town, and tons of other goodies. If you want a very rewarding change of pace in life, the Navy is a great place to do it. Even if you don't decide to stay in, USN looks great on a resume and can pay for a pretty big chunk of a college degree (not to mention all the college courses you can rack up for free while you're in).
Old 10-12-2007, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

crypt,

of course there are two sides to every story! Nothing is perfect...but he needs to be the judge of what he will like or dislike.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cryptnosis
One more thing to think about. Dont pick your rate cause of the bonus moneys, or extra pays.
Your kidding right?!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by anarchy99
Your kidding right?!
I don't care what the signing bonus is, **** being CS or HT
Old 10-12-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

HAHAHA, I have a few HT buddies. Don't go engineer at all then. All engineer rates have more cons than pros. But don't just take rate. I enlisted in as EOD with $30k bonus after being told the wait on MA or GM was really long. I ended up getting married and was having a hard time with the swimming quals(not a great swimmer) so I changed like an idiot, lost my bonus and ended up open general for engineer with a "guarantee" of DC, but like a fool with no help that was not in writing. I went halfway through basic thinking I was a DC, then one day that all changed. THEY chose EN for me. I was pissed, but what could I do? I decided to make the best out of it. Now I am trying my luck at a "C" once I get back from deployment.

Just do ALOT of research on what you are interested in PLEASE. Contact some of us guys if you need to. Tell me the rate you are interested and I will help with info...just pm me if you have a question, comment or concern.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SlowBurn
I don't care what the signing bonus is, **** being CS or HT
I meant the bonuses for SO.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Texas brings up a VERY GOOD POINT..... GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!! Do NOT expect ANYTHING to get fixed after you sign on the dotted line the day you ship out for boot. All through MEPS "you'll be going in as an E3". The day I went to ship out, when I was going over my contract, at the very end she almost inaudibly said " you'll be shipping out as an E-1". I said, "no, I'm supposed to be an E-3". They said "well we can fix it when you get to bootcamp". I told em "With all due respect Petty Officer, I'm not signing anything until this is fixed" 20 min later I had everything in writing they'd promised me AND a $3k college credit bonus they had forgotten to tell me about". I know a lot of people that counted on things their recruiters promised them or parts of their contract MEPS swore up and down would get fixed at bootcamp that got totally screwed.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

WORD! Right before you graduate they hand out all the badges for your uniforms. SOOOOO many guys were pissed that they did not get called up. The same gripe came from every one of them. Recruiter lied to them!

Also, if you become staff in the division you can get promoted. But if you do your job right like I did then you won't. I was the RMAA(master at arms) of the division. RDC's told me that people would hate me eventually, I had no idea. So many guys were pissed off, and when I tried to be nice I got punished with an hour long IT session in front of the division. At the end, I never received my promotion. My advice is go for recruit leader or assistant(if you can sing and keep a tune) or laundry PO and do a bad *** job. Our laundry PO and head PO were promoted since they NEVER took any hits on inspections.

It is going to suck, and at times you are going to question why you went in. But once it is over you will laugh at how easy it really was. Seriously. As long as you realize why you are there, and who is in control, all will go well. Sit down, shut up, and listen is the best advice I can give. Speak ONLY when you need to, lay low, and be the best at whatever it is they have you doing. They will notice, I promise. There was a guy that kissed *** the whole time, always the captian save a hoe type. He got promoted, those who were like me and didn't remained at that same rank. Now I am not saying kiss ***, he just got lucky on that part, but he did bust his *** at the dumb things they had him do. As you can see it pays off.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Launching!

I am just saying this, and no matter how gay it sounds, choose your rate, choose your fate. 12 month extension to me at least is not worth 8k. being on subs is not worth 150 more a month, and goin out to sea isnt worth 100 a month. Dont get me wrong, i love that when you pull in offf of pac you have 12k in the bank . but being out to sea for 80% the year kinda sucks, and when they say it gets better on shore duty.
But as far as being FT, I love that rate and is the best for Sub Side

Quick Reply: Thinking about Navy