Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

How to ask if someone is in the millitary

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blackhawk, I can understand your disenchantment. Recruiters lie...excuse me, embellish the truth. I have a taste of that myself. I'm trying to be optimistic and give the military a chance. I dunno if, in a couple years, I will like it or be more in line with your sentiments.

Weberje wasn't calling you a pos. Ya can be a good soldier and not be wound so tight that you are super high-speed squared away 24/7. Frankly I have more confidence in my fellow soldiers that can relax a bit off-duty...act like normal but respectable human beings.

A soldier takes pride in their uniform and appearance on duty, dresses & acts like a respectable human being off-duty. Maintain your bearings 24/7. I have seen soldiers who can't grasp that concept. When on duty, they look squared away. When off-duty you almost want to tell them that they should go back to letting someone else dress them...because they darn sure can't get it right themselves.

Ironically, I've never had to tell ppl I am a pukey PFC in the Army. They usually can tell without words. I've seen fake soldiers at parties. I usually work my way over and cooly but casually verify. The things to ask which others have mentioned above are good. Does several things: **** blocks them, shows them to be the liars they are, and makes me look better...since I am standing next to a piece of human debris.

Last edited by Awake455; 11-16-2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: can't type
Old 11-17-2007, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

heres a thought, if he says hes a Marine, jump him. i would bet with most of my money (ok like $12.56 cus im cheap) that if hes a Marine hes got someone rolling with him. ok joking about that cus if he is a Marine he'll probably kick your ***. another joke, but the id card is probably your best bet. more than likely you will see the boots going around and showing off, Marines that have been in a while dont care if you know. another way is to get thier name and rank and ask someone on here to look them up in our locator if you are that hard up to find out.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Awake455
Blackhawk, I can understand your disenchantment. Recruiters lie...excuse me, embellish the truth. I have a taste of that myself. I'm trying to be optimistic and give the military a chance. I dunno if, in a couple years, I will like it or be more in line with your sentiments.

Weberje wasn't calling you a pos. Ya can be a good soldier and not be wound so tight that you are super high-speed squared away 24/7. Frankly I have more confidence in my fellow soldiers that can relax a bit off-duty...act like normal but respectable human beings.

A soldier takes pride in their uniform and appearance on duty, dresses & acts like a respectable human being off-duty. Maintain your bearings 24/7. I have seen soldiers who can't grasp that concept. When on duty, they look squared away. When off-duty you almost want to tell them that they should go back to letting someone else dress them...because they darn sure can't get it right themselves.

Ironically, I've never had to tell ppl I am a pukey PFC in the Army. They usually can tell without words. I've seen fake soldiers at parties. I usually work my way over and cooly but casually verify. The things to ask which others have mentioned above are good. Does several things: **** blocks them, shows them to be the liars they are, and makes me look better...since I am standing next to a piece of human debris.
lol... Well, as far as giving the military a chance. I have, I've given it 2 years and I'm through with it. I'm a "Squared away" Marine off-duty and on-duty. I dont smoke, dip, or drink, and I don't party. I'm very outgoing and I do try to enjoy life as best I can given my situation.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by krink85
heres a thought, if he says hes a Marine, jump him. i would bet with most of my money (ok like $12.56 cus im cheap) that if hes a Marine hes got someone rolling with him. ok joking about that cus if he is a Marine he'll probably kick your ***. another joke, but the id card is probably your best bet. more than likely you will see the boots going around and showing off, Marines that have been in a while dont care if you know. another way is to get thier name and rank and ask someone on here to look them up in our locator if you are that hard up to find out.
not always true ive seen some scrawny *** marines but that goes for all the armed forces as well. oddly enough i find that most of the support guys are big into martial arts wierd stuff
Old 11-17-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blackhawk_02
lol... Well, as far as giving the military a chance. I have, I've given it 2 years and I'm through with it. I'm a "Squared away" Marine off-duty and on-duty. I dont smoke, dip, or drink, and I don't party. I'm very outgoing and I do try to enjoy life as best I can given my situation.
lies all lies lol you speak the impossible
Old 11-17-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Regular

SImple way...ask to see his ID. My favorite thing to debunk are ppl who say they've been deployed, those are always interesting to dig up on ppl

If you going to ask questions, everyone has pretty much hit it on the head.

When I'm at any college/house parties I usually keep my stuff on the downlow. You can pretty much tell I'm in with the haircut and confidence. I don't mention anything military unless someone says something first.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Teching In

The military fake is one of the more fascinating phenomena that I've read about. I used to regularly check in on sites that would spill the beans on anyone, ranging from a guy who fibbed in a bar to respected authors and security experts. I can't find lists like that anymore, I guess there's too much potential liability.

Sec Global's virtual polygraph is a pretty amusing read:
http://sec-global.com/services/ctp/vsg/polygraph.html

Sadly their 'Hall of Shame' is no longer available.

And then there's this fellow, who falsified his participation to protest the war:
http://sec-global.com/services/ctp/vsg/polygraph.html

Comic book fans might remember the whole Micah Wright deal:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...em.cgi?id=3613

Motivations seem to range pretty far and wide: free drinks, discounts, sympathy, sex, respect, profit, and even attempts at disinformation.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Regular

Gotta love ppl who try to be a hero. Hell I know a few of my friends that tried to use my stories from Ramstein (with some of the stuff we did) and even my Iraq stories to try to get something from some chick or some bar...needless to say I don't speak to them anymore.

Wonder why that is? Guess its probably b/c deep down most men want to have feel like they did something for their country, or watched so many movies that they are experts in the field. I think I might do my Ethics paper on this...
Old 11-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Originally Posted by weberje
I'm sorry but IMHO a MARINE will look like a Marine whether in uniform or in civilian attire as that is a prescribed uniform as well. He won't look "back on the block", at least if he's worth a sh*t and takes pride in being a Marine. Which, if he's boastin' for the honeys, then I would suppose is the case. More than likely, he is a boot and you can still smell the rubber on his shower shoes.
I disagree with this. Most Marines are just like everyone else and follow fads and fashion trends. Most of the guys in my old unit did the large pants and ridiculously oversized t-shirt thing. My Gunny right now doesn't look like a Marine at all when he's not in uniform. Skinny black guy, no tats, might as well be bald since you can't see his hair against his skin, doesn't drink or smoke, doesn't talk like a Marine, etc. And he's been in for 15 years or so. You must have some hard *** seniors, because I've never seen anyone actually care so long as they weren't going to the PX in flip flops, torn to shreds shorts, and a wife beater.
Originally Posted by weberje
In my time as an instructor here, I've trained about 5,000 Marines and Sailors. I can say that I am seeing some FAT/ out of shape Devils. Build is not the indicator anymore. They don't shine boots and starch/iron like we used to w/ the "analogs" (old cammies- cause the new ones are digital) so pride in their uniform and general appearance is waning. There are still some outstanding young Marines coming in though. But as was previously stated before- some may have the low fade with the scrub and not want to associate themselves with the Corps until they feel necessary.
There have always been and always will be "FAT/ out of shape Devils". This is some of that "old Corps" propaganda. Also, **** you and anyone else that thinks pressing and IPing a damn WORK uniform and shining boots is a good thing. My dress and service uniforms are (well were since I haven't been to a tailor or PX in a couple years) immaculate. My sleeves are always tight and my boots still look new. You can take pride in your uniform and appearance without pressing **** out. I can tell you from experience, no uniform lasts long out in the field, and I ended up having to buy something like 18 sets of cammies in less than four years because of retards like you who think that if the uniform doesn't look like you just wore it out of the store, you're a shitbag.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackhawk_02
ok.. im a Marine, but i dont EVER use acronyms, they are STUPID and there are TOO many of them. plus i have a low reg, so you would never know i was in the military unless you asked.
WOW dude CALM down they aren't THAT stupid ( ). You are an exception, not the rule. Most mil folks speak in jargon or acronyms inadvertently, not on purpose.

IE: I try not to carry my job outside the uniform, but if I'm asked what I do... "I operate the TPS-75 radar, which has three antennas. My radar can see 240nm out and can interrogate IFF as well."

Was that TOO stupid FOR YOU? ********.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:24 AM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
IE: I try not to carry my job outside the uniform, but if I'm asked what I do... "I operate the TPS-75 radar, which has three antennas. My radar can see 240nm out and can interrogate IFF as well."

I'll have a go at it:

I operate a big thingy that turns back and forth. It has three whip like things that wave back and forth in the wind and if you take it and bend it then let it go and make a "boing" sound effect, it is indeed, funny. It goes out 240 nautical miles...which is farther than I can see, even when i stand on a ladder. And it can tell the diffirence between bad guys and good guys, so we know who to shoot down.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
WOW dude CALM down they aren't THAT stupid ( ). You are an exception, not the rule. Most mil folks speak in jargon or acronyms inadvertently, not on purpose.

Yes, too stupid. I'm so confused. (insert sarcasm here)
Old 11-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Launching!

why would someone pose as military to get laid? I got laid more before the military, guess civ's never got the memo being military means less booty.

When I go out (which is hardly ever anymore because I am married now) I try to blend in to the room. I never try to stand out or let everybody know I am a Marine. Usually I fail and somebody always asks and I leave it at, "yes I am a Marine." I never start telling war stories or talk about what I do, usually just change the subject.

That's pretty pathetic that guys would do that, but doesn't surprise me. I hope I catch somebody trying to pull it off one day. I would whoop the **** out of them because they have never seen **** and never will, yet they hide behind young men and women who get killed and wounded in combat. In my opinion, that rates an *** beating from any military member or military supporter.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Appearance isn't a dead give away. Reservists/Inactive reservists won't always look the role in the civilian world. You can't always ask to see their ID either. Saying goes "once a Marine, always a Marine". I am a Marine and know lots of service members who did the whole 8+ and still say they are whatever they were while they were in, (Marine, Sailor, Soldier, Airmen (or whatever the flyboys are)). It's a pride thing.

As far as someone bragging, chances are they are probably new to it all. A seasoned member of the armed forces will usually let their actions to the talking.

And careful how you "joke" around some service members, they may not see it as a joke even if you and all your friends are laughing; all about the subject.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Just call them a pogue, its a secret word that based on their response will let you know if their in the military. When you call them a pogue if they try to give you a handshake their in the military
Old 12-07-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Ah this one is easy. Didn't read the whole thread. Just take a look at the guy. Is his hair cut right...short? Is he in somewhat good shape. Be like...."cool, can i see your CAC card"....probably the easiest way. Any real soldier, marine, or airman will not go around bragging about how they are in the military. I know around here they don't do that, and I have never done that. I don't sport the uniform either unless I have to. Unless someone specifically asks what my job is I don't even say then. I just say I work on the base. Most I knew back home don't even know I'm in the military and I'm only a few miles away. Once in a while they will be like...oh ur guard...no I'm active duty...then thats all i say.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
Ask when his ETS is. He should respond with a date. (experation, term of service)
In the Navy Rate = MOS

and your ETS is our EAOS (End of Active Obligated Service)

just FYI...
Old 12-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Ok if hes is bragging about being in the military, he is one of two things. Either fresh out of Basic a "Cherry" or liar. If hes a cherry, all his mililtary stories will start with or involve "My Drill Sergeant...." or "My Gunny Sergeant...." cause that is the only military experiance he has.
Hair cut is not always a dead give away, this is true, sadly. I miss the older army when Joe took pride in his looks.
If he is talking about killing someone or watching a friend die, and not looking at the floor or blank about it hes lying, people who have been through that dont talk openly about it at parties with out some discomfort. We dont tell war stories for beer, ***, or anything. Kindda a code I guess, if im around my other friends(military) then yeah we talk about "you remmeber that time we blew up that shack..." but usually there is no death involved. If im alone i dont try to tell stories for a few reasons.
One because you civilians will NEVER understand what we have been through EVER. Two its not something we are trained to do, we are trained to be quiet about what we do, never know whos listening. I also have a few of my own personal....
Poge, Pug, or any type term will not get you a ahnd shake from anyone, least of all the AIRBORNE....
Dont even joke about the military, if he is military youll wish you hadnt, and if he isnt whats the point, might upset someone else.
If you ask his MOS it usually is something like "Im a 13Fox" or "99Wiskey" they wont be like light wheel mechanic. We descibe things diffrently, im not a guy that tells big guns where to shoot, im a Forward Observer, Artillarymen, if he confuses you with his discription hes probly lagit. Ask him about the gas chamber, tell him your brothers, girlfriends cousin told you that they saat on stools and just had to sit there till they couldnt anymore, and had to stay in for 5 min to graduate, if he says yeah hes full of it, and just move away.
No one ever forgets the gas chamber, it sucks, even if you can handle it, it jsut sucks......

SGT John A. Vail - 82nd Airborne DIV (2000-current)
Old 12-11-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by msgZ28
I disagree with this. Most Marines are just like everyone else and follow fads and fashion trends. Most of the guys in my old unit did the large pants and ridiculously oversized t-shirt thing. My Gunny right now doesn't look like a Marine at all when he's not in uniform. Skinny black guy, no tats, might as well be bald since you can't see his hair against his skin, doesn't drink or smoke, doesn't talk like a Marine, etc. And he's been in for 15 years or so. You must have some hard *** seniors, because I've never seen anyone actually care so long as they weren't going to the PX in flip flops, torn to shreds shorts, and a wife beater.

There have always been and always will be "FAT/ out of shape Devils". This is some of that "old Corps" propaganda. Also, **** you and anyone else that thinks pressing and IPing a damn WORK uniform and shining boots is a good thing. My dress and service uniforms are (well were since I haven't been to a tailor or PX in a couple years) immaculate. My sleeves are always tight and my boots still look new. You can take pride in your uniform and appearance without pressing **** out. I can tell you from experience, no uniform lasts long out in the field, and I ended up having to buy something like 18 sets of cammies in less than four years because of retards like you who think that if the uniform doesn't look like you just wore it out of the store, you're a shitbag.

Hes an A school instructor they have to be like that through A school because when you work on jets ATD (Attention To Detail) Saves lives and they are hard on you there. I know cause I went there in PCOLA. But I totally agree with you 100 percent.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Teching In

I figured it out this guy was you and now you have answers to these questions so you cant get called out next time!

Quick Reply: How to ask if someone is in the millitary