Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

How to ask if someone is in the millitary

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to ask if someone is in the millitary

I have met random people at your typical college parties and lots of times there is a random guy that says they are in the Army, Marines etc... but I am always a little suspicious because I think they might be bullshitting I dont know why just sometimes I think something is up..

I want to somehow find out to see if they are really in the Armed Forces but I dont want to come off as an ******* because I would think it to be a huge insult to not believe someone served and think they are lying.

What are some good ways to be polite but yet be a little crafty to see who im dealing with?

thanks
Old 11-11-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Ask them what they do in the mil? How long they have been in and whats there rank. A lot of civs don't really know rank for ****. You need to know them too cause each branch is different. If the dude was really being a ****, Id be like...so, let me see your ID, thats only if you really thought they were bsing cause I wouldnt just whip my ID for some joe smoe...
Old 11-11-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

In my opinion, a true Soldier or Marine wouldn't mention that they're in the service unless they were drunk or someone asked. There are a lot of fakers out there, and it should be a crime to claim being a veteran just as it is to claim the Medal of Honor.

Anyway, about signs.. Does he have a military haircut? Is he trimmed at the back and at the sideburns? Does he have pictures of himself/friends in uniform? Get him into a conversation about what he does at work and where he does it. Does he use acronyms like it's going out of style? Is he vague?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

see thats what I noticed.. he said he was in the Marines but he just diddnt have a built look like relatives in my family I know that are in the Marines, and no he wasnt using any acronyms so I think he was BS, If I ever get in another conversation ill dig a little deeper.

When I have talked to my uncles and relatives, heck even on this forum its hard to follow because of all the acronyms the Armed Forces use
Old 11-11-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

yeah i would have to say the use of acronymns, and also being vague is a good one, i havent met many folks that will jsut come right out with certain information without beating around the bush for a bit
Old 11-11-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of a loser would lie about being in the millitary? I have never run into this kind of thing.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

Ask him what his MOS is. MOS = military occupational specialty, i.e. his job. If he doesn't answer with some type of job description, he's lying.

Either that, or he's in the AF which uses AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code). However, a good airman will know what the other branches call it.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had a guy at a party one time try to say he used to be Special Forces, i guess he was trying to show off for the ladies. I knew he was BS'ing and since I went through SF I knew what to ask, so I asked him a few questions and he was completely full of it and i dropped a dime on him in front of everyone. It was funny as hell.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ask when his ETS is. He should respond with a date. (experation, term of service)
Old 11-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Hmmm.........I would just ask a few basic questions like his MOS, unit, station, and EAS (end of active service). I wouldn't go on whether he's built or anything, I've known some tiny *** Marines, and some pretty fat ones. I also wouldn't go on acronym usage unless he's actively talking about his work. I hardly ever use acronyms outside of work related stuff. If he's Navy or Marine (or claiming to be), listen for our messed up lingo like deck, bulkhead, ladderwell, rack, head, etc. Also, if you're talking about firearms, listen for key words like magazine and round instead of clip (there's almost no gun still around that uses a clip) and bullet. The guys claiming infantry will probably be the easiest, just give them a quick quiz on M-16 and some crew-served weapons, most will flounder with anything SAW or M240G related. Of course, quizing him about weapons only works if you know enough that he can't make up **** on the spot and fool you.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, There's one sure way to tell, that I really shouldn't say in a public forum, but every US military member is branded at basic train with the "US" logo just above the left buttuck inside the member's belt line, so act like your dropping ice down his or her pants and take a quick peek.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

^^^^ awesome... i wouldnt want to find out then if he is a marine... you could be in for an interesting evening, male or female
Old 11-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Ya, but depending on what he does, you might not get a straight answer and that may not mean he's lying. For example, if he's "MI" he probably won't want to put out his business to somebody at a party.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Why don't you just join the military? Then you won't have to wonder if someone is getting credit for something they're not. You'll just know.

Was this guy getting more play than you?
Old 11-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Launching!

ok.. im a Marine, but i dont EVER use acronyms, they are STUPID and there are TOO many of them. plus i have a low reg, so you would never know i was in the military unless you asked.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28ss4me
Ok, There's one sure way to tell, that I really shouldn't say in a public forum, but every US military member is branded at basic train with the "US" logo just above the left buttuck inside the member's belt line, so act like your dropping ice down his or her pants and take a quick peek.

ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS?!?!?!?!?! you are by far one of the dumbest people i have come across recently. who told you this stupid tall tale? because its NOT true. wow, what movie did you watch that gave you this TREMEDOUSLY STUPID IDIOTIC IDEA?!?!?!? you freaking moron. me, my cousin and my best friend are Marines. went to boot camp together, NONE OF US HAVE "US" logo above our butts!!! dude, seriously, dont quit your day job... you unintelligent uninformed indiot.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:11 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by blackhawk_02
ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS?!?!?!?!?! you are by far one of the dumbest people i have come across recently. who told you this stupid tall tale? because its NOT true. wow, what movie did you watch that gave you this TREMEDOUSLY STUPID IDIOTIC IDEA?!?!?!? you freaking moron. me, my cousin and my best friend are Marines. went to boot camp together, NONE OF US HAVE "US" logo above our butts!!! dude, seriously, dont quit your day job... you unintelligent uninformed indiot.

It's called a sense of humor...get one.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Corny40
Why don't you just join the military? Then you won't have to wonder if someone is getting credit for something they're not. You'll just know.

Was this guy getting more play than you?

If I could join I would think about it, but I cant im on a prescribed medication. Which when talking to a recruiter over the phone made me non-eligible?

so ill just pay my taxes and give support from home
Old 11-12-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think we know who the unintelligent uninformed indiot is
Old 11-12-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by StoleIt
It's called a sense of humor...get one.
For real, that guy got all hyped up over that, lol.

Quick Reply: How to ask if someone is in the millitary