Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Taking Vehicle over seas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007 | 04:34 PM
Launching!

Default Taking Vehicle over seas?

So i Have got a assignment to RAF Lakenheath in England. What are the pros and cons of taking my Z28 camaro with me. IE. Legal,taxes,problems.. thanks.

-Rob
Old 12-19-2007 | 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can't help you with your question but I am friends with a guy who was there several years ago and said it's the best place he's ever been stationed. I would assume you need to contact a reporting senior or somebody already there and ask them directly.

I will say this, you might be the only one over there with a Z. Have fun!
Old 12-19-2007 | 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MRZ28
So i Have got a assignment to RAF Lakenheath in England. What are the pros and cons of taking my Z28 camaro with me. IE. Legal,taxes,problems.. thanks.

-Rob
I lived in Lakenheath nearly 4 years. You will paid MORE taxes based on the size of the engine. My 1.9L cost nearly £180 ($360), these days, the exchange rate is nearly double. ($2=£1)

Here's the link to the DVLA (tax/regisration yearly)

HERE!

Not to sure about insurance, USAA and GEICO are the ONLY insurance carriers that will insure in the UK, if you go with a local (well, local in England) you will pay out the nose for it, and in £ instead of $. Try HARD NOTto exchange unless you really have to. Like to pay rent for a house. Apartments do NOT exist. If you are an E-5 or above, try to find a roommate, you'll actually MAKE money at that rate. If you live in the dorms (prison cells ) then you'll have more out of pocket with less COLA. Housing can be a pain in the *** to find. Try NOT to move if you can help it. Also, don't be afraid to look further out from the bases (Mildenhall/Lakenheath/Feltwell).

OH OH OH OH , before I forget. I lived in Thetford most of my stay, my Saturn got broken into TWICE! American cars are targeted. IF you truely LOVE your Z, please please please, store it!

My personal opinion. Leave the Z at home. The weather is a BEATING for cars. The constant dampness makes rust run like bandits.

I took a 1998 Saturn over there for 4 years, returned and nearly every "rustable" part in the engine and exhaust had to be replaced. I only put 30000 miles on the car while I was there as well.

Leave the Z at home, and when you get to Lakenheath, somebody will need to sell their British POS. Parts are very INexpensive and you'll need something fuel economic because AAFES gas prices are high, but only buy the gas ON base, or you'll spend nearly $8/gallon.

Whats your job? I still got a good friend of mine there....

Last edited by Splitz; 12-19-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-20-2007 | 03:26 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Old 12-20-2007 | 08:05 AM
On The Tree

but if you did take it over there you would own the competition!! if you found any...
Old 12-20-2007 | 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

Havent been there personally, but i have a good buddy that was at Mildenhall for 5 years, he said emissions will get most people with high-performance cars over there.
Old 12-20-2007 | 01:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Splitz
I lived in Lakenheath nearly 4 years. You will paid MORE taxes based on the size of the engine. My 1.9L cost nearly £180 ($360), these days, the exchange rate is nearly double. ($2=£1)

Here's the link to the DVLA (tax/regisration yearly)

HERE!

Not to sure about insurance, USAA and GEICO are the ONLY insurance carriers that will insure in the UK, if you go with a local (well, local in England) you will pay out the nose for it, and in £ instead of $. Try HARD NOTto exchange unless you really have to. Like to pay rent for a house. Apartments do NOT exist. If you are an E-5 or above, try to find a roommate, you'll actually MAKE money at that rate. If you live in the dorms (prison cells ) then you'll have more out of pocket with less COLA. Housing can be a pain in the *** to find. Try NOT to move if you can help it. Also, don't be afraid to look further out from the bases (Mildenhall/Lakenheath/Feltwell).

OH OH OH OH , before I forget. I lived in Thetford most of my stay, my Saturn got broken into TWICE! American cars are targeted. IF you truely LOVE your Z, please please please, store it!

My personal opinion. Leave the Z at home. The weather is a BEATING for cars. The constant dampness makes rust run like bandits.

I took a 1998 Saturn over there for 4 years, returned and nearly every "rustable" part in the engine and exhaust had to be replaced. I only put 30000 miles on the car while I was there as well.

Leave the Z at home, and when you get to Lakenheath, somebody will need to sell their British POS. Parts are very INexpensive and you'll need something fuel economic because AAFES gas prices are high, but only buy the gas ON base, or you'll spend nearly $8/gallon.

Whats your job? I still got a good friend of mine there....
4TO311-Medical Lab Tech

Do you know if drag racing even exsist over there, i think if there were other car enthusiast like my self, and a 1/4 mile track, that may also influence my decision to take it.
Old 12-20-2007 | 05:03 PM
Launching!

Hey im stationed here, have been for the passed 3 years now. ill be here until Apr 2008, ever see an LT1 ws6 honk at me. The street scene is weak as *****, mostly scoobies, skylines, evos running around. Japanese imports are legal here, so most of them are strong runners. I say bring it with you because you will never get as much attention in your car as you will here. Everyone looks with their draws DROPPED. There is a few tracks, only 2 drag strips, santa pod and another that noone goes too. Circuit racing is REALLY big here. There is some street racing at bridge run in Bury St. Edmunds in the warmer/dry weather. F-bodies are few and far between in this area. Cobras have been poppin up left and right the passed few months tho...

I have a guy about an hour away from base that can give you a NO BS "pass" for your MOT. Honestly, i would drive your car no more than 7 months out of the year, rest of the year is wet and cold... i almost killed myself in november with the black ice... no **** i almost wrecked at 80 and wad sliding all over the place. Tax is about $400 for a years worth, but its re-reimbursed through the mil, first year is free. I honestly drive a $400 accord every day, i live an hours drive from base. so i put over 80 miles a day on it, and its totally worth it. The further from base, the bigger the house, and i have NO problems with crime where im at. Important thing is to get away from the base, Base sucks ***... spend as little time as possible there, and you may like your stay here.

If you have any other questions, ill be more than happy to let you know...

Also check http://rebel-v8.co.uk/ they are the biggest american car club in the UK... I hang with most of them through out the year..

-justin

Quick Reply: Taking Vehicle over seas?