Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

heading to ft hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heading to ft hood

ill be in fort hood in april...YES! finally i get to leave germany! lol is there any important things i should know before going there? i dont know what unit ill be in yet until i get there but i dont know like how housing and everything is there. any info would help fellas
Old 01-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

Academy raceway is not too far away in temple. Or you could go up to dfw. I live in the barracks cant help you much with housing. sorry. Ft. hood is what you make of it. There is stuff to do, just have to find it. good luck
Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Man I feel for you. I was born and raised in Killeen and now live in Germany. I would never be excited about moving back there. haha Good luck though!
Old 01-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Wait, you are excited to leave Germany and go to Ft. Hood? I must be missing something. Having lived in Germany, I loved it. Thing's to do galore and so many countries to visit that are close. I have flown into and visited Ft. Hood many times, what a dreadfull place.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:38 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't unpack you bags. Iraq is just a few miles away!
Old 01-14-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got here myself. I dont know why people say they hate Fort Hood. Ya I guess if you stay in the area and dont get out much then ya killeen sucks. But you have all the big cities just a few hours away. I dont know what the onpost housing situation is like and I will never get military housing again. I opt for off post housing seeing as the BAH pays for a good chunk of my mortgage and I live in what I want and not some crappy small *** house. I live WAAYYY off post too lol.

Lots of soldiers too, the day I inprocessed there were 260+...was insane. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

traffic sucks and most people around killeen cant drive to save thier a**. As far as things to do...well san antonio isn't that far away, austin isn't that far away and niether is dallas. There is plenty to keep busy around the area. I don't know about onpost housing I live off post.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:27 AM
Launching!

Hey Im on my way there also in July...looking for a roomate and some garage space for my toys...anyone know of anyone let me know... othere wise guess I will run into you guys eventually at Fudruckers>
Old 01-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Launching!

yeah dont live anywhere on Rancier. I lived there because on the net the place looked great. i got there and it was a toattly different story. My car was broke into 3 times. Any how i now live on the southern side of 190. Anything else dont hesitate to ask.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:19 AM
Launching!

yea when I was ther late 90's Rancier was not the place to be for sure! My time here in Iraq is coming to an end and I cant wait to get back state side! and kind alooking forward to moving to Hood...right smack in the middle of summertoo should be lots going on...still lookin for a roomate also incase you know anyone let me know..thanks!!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Fort Hood is really not that bad.. the traffic does suck and people can't drive and there is always a mustang or a ricer to humilate. if you need good shop let me know i know of one hes not a sponsor but is damn good with lsx cars and a pretty good guy. hes right in killeen, which is a big whole in the wall really. i suggest not living in killeen try copperas cove which is only about 10 miles away from hood and there are some good fun backroads out there too. 3 transmissions and 5 bottles of nitrous will tell you that.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hated Germany, spent more time training, deployed, training some more. The weather never agrees with ya. Glad to be away from there, and down the road I will go and visit but to live ugh. Good luck in Hood, honestly is there a place a guy can't complain about(not including the sand box). you know what side you heading to, 1st Cav or now 3rd ACR( I am thinkin 4th ID switched with them allready, correct me if I am wrong.)
Old 03-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Default loved ft hood

yeah man loved it their always at the track. deff some good shops for bikes or lsx car. i got the numbers to them if u need them. stuck in korea looking to buy anthor lsx modded if any has one for sale.
sunshine motorsports killeen tx the best their is and the fast car in killeen
Old 03-12-2008, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

you will deploy, and killeen is a shithole. If you are going to live off post, choose either cove, nolanville or some parts of heights. It all depends on where you get put and have to go to work on post. as far as the car thing here academy as mentioned before is ok, just beware of the 3/4 track dip in the left lane.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Banned

thanks for the info guys.....the reason i cant wait to leave germany is because my unit went from mannheim to graf which is garbage...and i dont mind deploying considering ive had 18 months since the last time i went. when i get there ill have to come on here and find the spots to go to
Old 03-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Launching!

honestly, if i had to move back to the killeen area I'd move into belton, it might be 20~ minutes aways, but heights and cove are just close enough to still get the shitty crime/bad traffic, belton you can take 439 all the way up and housing costs/cost of living are super cheap

my .02 plus i know a few car guys still up there and i visit every know and then
Old 03-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

I live in cove and haven't had any problems with crime. But I think I can slowly see it creeping this way via the news. Very slowly though. If I come back here, I'll definitely move back to cove.

On another note, coming to Hood? Want an LT1 car?
Old 03-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Launching!

Im starting to get anxious on my move there... I have a few roomates lined up and will be ready to roll once I get there...
Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Staging Lane

It really isn't a bad place. I'd gladly come back here after I leave.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Teching In

The Hood isnt that bad. But I miss Germany. Only thing that sucked over there was the lack of drag strips and ready available parts.

I dont care for Killeen, like many say they cant drive around here.. adn the traffic horrendous. I reccomend you go the other way and look into Lampasas where I stay. Its nice out here and very few military and its not crowded at all like cove or Killeen. I think the reason I like hood is probably cause I live here in Lampasas and can get away from all that. Its just a good country town.

Anyways, you will spend most of your time training and in the field expect a year here and then a year in the sandbox... repeat.

Jeff

Quick Reply: heading to ft hood