Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

georgia state flag on base

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krink85
its not like you have KKK tattooed on your forehead, i woudl tell him it heritage and if he denies you that tell him to work on MLK Jr. day. thats his heritage and your is yours. remember be respectful and use tact or you will get nowhere. (btw this wouldnt happen in the marines)
+1...next thing you know the dukes of hazard car will have to repaint the top of the car...im tired of people saying the GA flag offends them...they just need to grow up...by the way...i have a confederate flag in my room...if anyone has a problem with it, i tell em not to look at it
Old 01-07-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

You could go to moe yourself also. And I would request a new AO.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

The flag you speak of is no longer the official state flag. As I'm sure you are aware, it was changed in 2001. Therefore, I don't think you have a case. If it was still the official state flag, then maybe.

Come on man, if the whole state figured it was a good idea to not use that flag anymore, don't you think you can do without it on your car? I understand that you want to keep the whole "Bandit" thing going (I love the Bandit too ), but after looking through several pages of images of The Bandit's car, the only one that had that flag on it was a photo of a model, not the actual car. I think people will still be able to make the connection even if you remove the flag.

Think of it this way. Do you think he's BSing when he says it offends him? Do you think he's making that up? Why would you want to continue to display something you know offends someone else? Are you that selfish? Is it that important to you? How many other people do you think it offends by you driving around with it on your car?

I know you didn't put it on your car to offend anyone, but that still doesn't mean people aren't offended by it. Think about it. Swallow some pride, get over the whole "somebody's trying to tell ME what I can do to MY car" thing, and be the bigger person/human being. Take it off.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Launching!

good nightfellas
Old 01-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

corny has good points but why should you have to take something down because a person is offended by it. it was a state flag. it was not a white hood riding through town trying to lynch anyone of of different races. i would request mast up to your SNOIC in your shop. race shouldnt matter for the poeple up top, they should think with their heads. if at that stage it doesnt work try your EO (equal opportunities) rep. i am an E-5 and understand heritage opposed to racism. if it is truly offensive take it down but if its something off pure innocence then i would not back down. REMEMBER BE RESPECTFUL AND TACKFUL! doing that alone may get you to keep it or not. good luck buddy
Old 01-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Teching In

end of the day, you're going to have to take it off. Happened to a buddy of mine at the academy with a Mississippi State flag on his truck. Why not try to meet in the middle and replace it with the current GA flag?

that said, I'm a GA boy too, and as much as I hate to say it, 1956 flag was a response to the racial issues of the time, and unfortunately, so many people have used the battle flag as a racist symbol, that it has become one, no matter what it's origional meaning was.

The is the First Confederate national flag

This is what the Georgia flag looked like from the end of the war until 1956.

Now we've got this. Notice anything similar??

Personal opinion: it honors our history without drawing out the racial issues that have become associated with the Battle Flag since the end of the war between the states.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Default A bit of info

I jsut went through this not to long ago, over a comment i made while watching a movie.
we were watching American History X, i made a commment during the movie "You know whats F'ed up I almost joined the KKK till i learned what they were all about" I was 12 at the time, and wanted ot belong to something, I saw KKK and thought back to all my dads stories about college and AKO, three letters, this has to be as cool as dads place. Then i found out what they were all about.
Well long story short, I had an African American soldier start to screw up, well really continue to screw up. Been F'ed since he got to the unit. I had more than enough to seperat him from the army. So i started, and sent him to see Sergeant Major, he told SGM that I hate black people and wanted to join the KKK, they asked me if i said it and i told him the comment I made and explained the situation.
Well long story shortened a bit, I am now an E4 from E6. Its not how i meant it its how he took it. And his argument was that the fact that i was a racist made him act up. Now i could have fought it in a court martial and won, but they would ahve dug up my whole past in the military, and there are somethings that sliped through the cracks that would have surfaced and i would have gotten nailed either way.
If your record is clean, I say drop the plate, or fight. Know that if you fight you ahve to have a good reason to have it there, other wise he will win. So its up to you, with yoru perfect plan going I would jsut remove it before you lose a pay grade or two and effect your family and car, and carrer over something dumb.
Whoooo thats a long one......
Old 01-08-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

btw air force guys, i thought we were suppose to solve the problem at the lowest level. not run off to the first shirt to backstab our brothers? i want to say thank you to my supervisor.
HAHAHAHAHA that's funny the Air Force is just the opposite, it's more like lets f*ck everyone we can to try to make ourselves look good....

I'm surprised that he actually gave you the courtesy of letting you know before he told your first sgt. That's just the way the AF was going, glad I'm out now....
Old 01-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Teching In

I had the 'Confederate flag" discussion with someone (an African American) and i asked what would happen if i drove around a replica of the dukes of hazzard car, and he said hed go to MEO and make me paint over the flag. I dont understand the way some people feel/think, but im in the military and i learned to work with others, end of story. If you are throwing up this much fuss with just replacing a 5 dollar license plate, then your gonna have a long and difficult career.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PotentialZ28
I had the 'Confederate flag" discussion with someone (an African American) and i asked what would happen if i drove around a replica of the dukes of hazzard car, and he said hed go to MEO and make me paint over the flag. I dont understand the way some people feel/think, but im in the military and i learned to work with others, end of story. If you are throwing up this much fuss with just replacing a 5 dollar license plate, then your gonna have a long and difficult career.
So he should confrom to ONE person who "might" find it offensive?? Give me a freaking break. Why should the whole world remove everything that a person finds offensive?

Im sorry but I just find it stupid that people like this think they can remove everything they find offensive and live in a beautiful world. Not going to happen.

Also about the flags the only that stayed the same is the stripes. There are 13 stars which all know that means (or least I hope so). Personally I dont feel anything wrong with it.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell him to kiss your ***

HAHAHAHAHA that's funny the Air Force is just the opposite, it's more like lets f*ck everyone we can to try to make ourselves look good....

That is so true especially here at the Fire Dept at Shady J
Old 01-08-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Some people just need to grow some thicker skin. After all they are in the military... some people forget that...
Old 01-08-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow....just........wow.

This is one of the reasons why I left the military. The self expression is denied, and if you "offend" anybody god help you.

What really chaps my ***, is that it's been over 100 years since slavery ended with the "Emancipation Proclamation".

Of course, people like that supervisor will continue to pull the race card just because they CAN.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

i think most of you are missing the fact hes in the military. Things are diffrent here, there are no real freedom, we fight for yours but we have none of our own, he could face a big pain in the *** if he doesnt remove it, loss of rank, loss of pay, loss of time, removal from service. ANd that will follow him, racisim will be on his name forever if he is removed from service for being racist. Its not what he means its what other people think, it sucks but thats good ole uncle sam.
I really dont think regular civilians understand the true sacrifices we make here. Please dont flame me, but seriously, Freedom or speech, self expression, hell you cant even have what ever you want in your room, if it offensive you could get caught up, and the military doesnt play around with that. No comander wants to be the one that let that happen to his unit.... so its your neck not his..
rolls down hill, here more than anywhere
Old 01-08-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know he is military as I am too. Its still stupid to think that ONE state license plate frame is offensive to the guy. Does he freak out with any car that has a Georgia license plate or for that matter any other state in the Confederate? I doubt it.

Face the facts, its cool to say that you are offended and get people to conform to YOU. When it happens once you want to do it again and again and again.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bballr4567
I know he is military as I am too. Its still stupid to think that ONE state license plate frame is offensive to the guy. Does he freak out with any car that has a Georgia license plate or for that matter any other state in the Confederate? I doubt it.

Face the facts, its cool to say that you are offended and get people to conform to YOU. When it happens once you want to do it again and again and again.
And this is probably the case. Come down more than a power trip. I am a SSgt, hear me ROAR!!! YOU A1C will conform to what I think, no matter what.

How the NCO approached is probably isn't the best way, and I blame his upper supervison on this or lack of training.

But to pull the race card in my opinion is completely out of place.

We as a society need to get thicker skin as said above. Not everybody has the same morals and values and can't expect everybody to conform. What's really frustrating, is he REALLY offended or just trying to show of?

Is this NCO a "new" NCO? As in, just sewed on, so the power trip is there (hell, when I sewed on E5, I thought I Was going to change the entire USAF).

There is something to be said about certain things on the military. the USAF wants THINKERS, not just DOOERS that will do as they are told no matter what.

Now, I assume that the OP is white. Let's say for example they are both in the shop and he hears this particlar NCO call another colored NCO a "n" (can't say the word), and is offended. How would he approach that as an Airman? Not like he can goto the Shirt and say "Sir, he offended me by calling somebody else a n". This isn't right either, but this kind of behavior should be unacceptble no matter what color you are. But, it's accepted and shoudn't be.

We can be politically correct to a point, then it gets to the point BEYOND stupidity....this MIGHT be one of those situations.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Launching!

im so fed up with the stupidity that goes on. when i joined the AF i thought the military was going to be totally different... i thought if something like this was to happen, that some supervisor would say, "grow the **** up, you are in the united states military". not, O' your offended? lets hang this airman! wtf is wrong here?

i guess thats what i get for thinking??? this is exactly why, after my six... im ******* DONE!!! i believe alot of you are thinking the same thing
Old 01-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

i think most of them ar too worried about saving their *** anymore, more stripes mean more than troop welfair, no offence to any of them that my be here just an opipion
Old 01-08-2008, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here on Cannon they banned those big ***** you hang off the back of big trucks because women got offended by the veins and stuff. Stuff like this is why i'm out in 16 months. Damn it, if I want ***** on my truck, I'm gonna have them.

Last edited by ryanvv355; 01-08-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hammerdown2000
im so fed up with the stupidity that goes on. when i joined the AF i thought the military was going to be totally different... i thought if something like this was to happen, that some supervisor would say, "grow the **** up, you are in the united states military". not, O' your offended? lets hang this airman! wtf is wrong here?

i guess thats what i get for thinking??? this is exactly why, after my six... im ******* DONE!!! i believe alot of you are thinking the same thing
You know whats more ridiculous then having to take your confederate flag off of your car because someone thinks its offensive? Getting out of the military because you had to take a license plate off of your car!

How are they "hanging you", didnt they ask you to take your license plate off? He could have gone straight to MEO and they could have made you take it off. He handled it the right way, at the lowest level. If you dont take the plate off, you will be "hanging" yourself.

I want to get one thing straight, i dont agree with having to conform to everyone, but guess what, im an NCO and I signed on the dotted line waiving all my constitutional rights to protect everyone elses. If you cant get over that then yes, you need to get out. But dont wait 6yrs to get out, you need to get out now.

If I saw someone with a black panther flag on his car, id want it taken off. So I dont put things on my car that might offend people, its really easy. Have a great Air Force day kid.

Quick Reply: georgia state flag on base