Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Joined the USAF have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slowmc
Way I understand it is that he is in the DEP. I dont think he would be at basic waiting on a job and be on LS1Tech.

You can get out of the DEP anytime you want. Your not enlisted yet. You will sign papers once you go back to MEPS when you are leaving for basic and thats when there is no turning back.

And I agree with Hawaii, its hard to go from enlisted to comissioned and then hard to then fly. Go ROTC and your chances will be much greater.
Actually he could be if he was a hold-over. The guys that stayed in our dorm on hold-over were on base lib until they left Lackland. They just dicked around.

Werd on the MEPS

Far as flying, you are looking at probably the most competitive area in the Air Force. Not only is it long and demanding, it also has A LOT of people who go for it. From speaking with the fighter jocks here (including some of the Commanders) the USAFA pretty much takes every slot....not to mention getting fighters, or even cargo for that matter, is slim to none for ROTC or OTS. I won't tell you its impossible, but ya....

I would never take a general aptitude going into BMT. Not only are you not promised a job, but you are stuck with whatever they need at that time. For example, say you went in on a General Aptitude and ended up being a plumber? (not knocking it but if its not your passion...ya). How are you going to feel inside after that. I had a kid in our flight that got recycled four times because he didn't like the aptitude areas that were available. He was waiting for something he wanted.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 90TSiAWD
No, I havent went yet.... I leave June 17th and im trying to get an idea of what job I should get....like I said my contract said im gnna be in the mech. field and I have to pick out of several jobs when im in basic.

BTW I got a 70 Overall, 87 Mech. Aptitude and 81 Elec. Aptitude
Why wont anyone listen? Dont wait to go to basic to pic your job, pick one career, and thats it, when you go to MEPS, they will pressure you to pick more then one job, DONT. Pick one job and have it on your contract before you sign enlistment papers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you get on a plane without a job, your gonna be a cop (no offense to anyone), if you get on a plane with a "mech" slot, you are going to be vehicle maintenance and you are going to be fixing Humvees in the desert 6 months out of the year.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

So even though I signed a "contract" or atleast thats what my recrutier called it I can back out and tell them that I want a contract saying I want a specific job?
Old 01-17-2008, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

yeah, if he doesn't agree just don't show or talk to him anymore. until you sign the papers at meps the day you are shipping out and swear in. you can pretty much tell him to scew off.

as for a job. i highly reccomend what the other guys are trying to tell you. DO NOT go into an open field, whether its mech. electrical etc.. that is one mistake i made and many others... i lucked out big time though with a great job after reclassing. go in with a certain job picked out.. you are playing roulette if you go in open. i guarantee you will get to basic, show up to put down the job you want from THIER list. its gonna suck. mine did.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

What did job did you get before reclassing? What are you now?
Old 01-18-2008, 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah man, be careful about that open-xxx field. the AF will put u in wutever field is critically-manned. also, id suggest u try to sign for a specific job, soon, and make copies of the paperwork stating that u will have that job.
i was supposed to be a crew chief of F-15s after the paperwork i signed when i processed thru MEPS the first time. a year later, ship-out time, my recruiter pulled me to the side and asked me to pull the copies he "told me to make" of my paperwork since apparently MEPS "lost" my info. since i didnt have those copies, i had to resign papers and go in under open-mech. i ended up getting AMMO (munitions systems apprentice), which was actually my first choice. .....not exactly too sure about how good of a field it is. from what i hear - its gone down hill from what it used to be.

if i were you, i'd finish my degree ASAP and THEN get into the AF - enlisted or officer. at least that way, if u go in enlisted and decided to go officer, u already have ur degree - just need OTS, which is 14 weeks i believe. some actually prefer to stay enlisted. its just a personal preference.

as far as going for a pilot slot - there was an AMMO troop out here, a few years ago, that went thru ROTC with a pilot slot. he already had his private pilot's license, and i believe an A.S. in a degree that was geared for pilots. so getting a pilot slot from enlisted side isnt impossible (or near-impossible, for that matter), u just gotta have ur ducks lined up and do alot of work before u even ask the AF.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

I was avionics... i don't enjoy being on the flight line with rain, snow, sleet etc.. and the wind chill in the negative temps. some people do like it outside more power to them, i am a dental tech now. love the job, great people to work with and atmosphere. almost like a regular Mon. through Fri. job.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Agreed. Get a guaranteed job in writing. Don't go open.

I went in open Mechanical... but I was lucky and got my #2 job choice (AMMO). I would of got my #1 job choice (Nuclear Weapons) but all the guaranteed jobs filled all the job slots at that time.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

...i guess lol
Old 01-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Kind of too late to be asking the question since you've already signed up. My advice is to try and get out of it, go to college first, then put in a packet for OTS after you graduate. Thats what I did. If you don't get pilot training out of it, you turn it down and walk away. But the most important thing is to get your degree first. I know several of our crew chiefs who intended to do what you are trying to do and there just isn't enough time. I'm sure other AFSC's probably have a better daily schedule and don't deploy, so good luck. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Quick Reply: Joined the USAF have some questions.