Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Joining the Marines feb 25th Any Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joining the Marines feb 25th Any Advice?

Hey my names BJ Deloso 19 from Sacramento going into tha marines im leaving to basic training on Feb 25th, just wondering if you guys have any advice on what to look forward to and what not to look forward too.. im hoping to get stationed in San Diego, i have a 99 black z28.. also wondering how many people are stationed in San Deigo

Old 01-11-2008, 03:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Learn to not take things personally if you haven't already. You will get yelled at for everything even if it is not your fault. Keep your mouth shut unless spoken to, do things fast and with great effort, and try to be a team player. Never give up, not on anything, for any reason.

And best of luck and best wishes to you.

Adam
Semper Fidelis
Old 01-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Teching In

The last bit of info was good. Be a leader with in your platoon basically.
Put out. I hope your RSS has you all out PTing and studying maybe. Learn some general Knowledge. If you have time maybe look up general orders, rank structure, different acronyms. If you're not a fast learner it'll take you a while there. Just something that might give you a heads up on the other guys.

You really dont need to take anything with you. Maybe some friends addresses.

Tell your loved one. youll probably get only one call for the next 12 weeks. Itll be short and sweet. "I have arrived, I am well there will be a letter sent with my mailing address on it tomm."
nothing more nothing less. Dont worry about it.

whats you occupational field going to be?
You can ask me anything else you might want to know.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice adam and risner i really appreciate it any my mos is going to be a light vehicle mechanic...
Old 01-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Why join up to stay in the same state? Get out go see the world and the rest of this great country plenty of time to come back later. I hope they send you to the east coast
Old 01-11-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm willing to bet you'll get stationed in San Diego... for about 3 1/2 months. That would be your first 3 1/2 months BTW. After that, all bets are off. Particularly if you're not guaranteed a specific MOS. If you don't have a planned MOS and your test scores aren't decent, you can then expect to spend the next few weeks at SOI at Pendleton. Then you'll be attached to an infantry battalion somewhere. But... The Marine Corps' at fun place. You never really know what's going to happen sometimes.

Good luck,
Marc
GySgt, USMC (ret.)
Old 01-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

dont make yourself the example. have fun and remember they cant kill you. dont do anytign stupid like take the other guidons form teh other platoons, as ballsy as it it that guy didnt fair well the rest of the time i was there. do what your told beofre yoru told to do it, you will be expected to do this. they arnt tryign to **** with you there they want you to do your best and as fast as you can. and my final little bit of info...if your voice isnt gone at the end of ever night you arnt tryign hard enough to yell, your voice will come back in teh morning and will go away at the end of the day. push it out till you cant yell anymore and when you think you at your end push it out more(that pretty much goes for all of the bootcamp)
Old 01-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Teching In

If you have not already been doing it, start running/push ups/sit ups a lot right now so you do not have any issues during basic.

Like they have previously said...do not be the screw up that gets all the attention from the instructors. They are going to treat you like **** but they are human beings and want you to succeed.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by krink85
if your voice isnt gone at the end of ever night you arnt tryign hard enough to yell, your voice will come back in teh morning and will go away at the end of the day. push it out till you cant yell anymore and when you think you at your end push it out more(that pretty much goes for all of the bootcamp)
everybody was the complete opposite when I went through...nobody could sound off for **** in the morning because everybody's voice was gone. going to chow would take longer because of that. After morning chow our voices would start to come back.

Stay positive, it's only 3 months and it may seem like a long time but once you are in the fleet you will see how little 3 months is. Especially after deployments and when you realize it's arleady time to re-enlist or EAS. Good luck and help the guy that's slower than you, don't rag on him. The slowest recruit will be the speed your Platoon goes and only motivating him will make him give a ****.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Launching!

oh yeah, I don't know if they still use this one but it was my FAVORITE!!! the old seat/feet game. go ahead and laugh, wait till you play that game for the first time, you will remember what I said at that moment.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you haven't gone and tried college yet, I'd say give that a shot first.. other than that.. Join USAF if you want it easy..
Old 01-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

why woudl you want the easy route in life??? if you are the type of person who likes the best the Marine Corps is best for you. if you want to pride your self on joining because you want to serve the Corps is the way to go. if you want money for college maybe teh Corps isnt the way to go.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

No problem on the advice man, anything for a man willing to do what you are doing. Shoot me a pm if you want my addy... trust me, it is really nice to have someone who has been there corresponding with you. For me it was my older brother who was on Presidential Honor Guard at the time.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh and another thing. Boot camp is the easy part. When you get to school and to the fleet is when you start to learn who you are, and trust me, you may find out you are different than the person you thought you were.

Stick with your decision and don't listen to anyone who tries to discourage you. That is what will make you the best you can be. Even if you make a mistake ever in your life, stick with your decision, but never be afraid to admit you are wrong when the time is right. Listen to your seniors, even if they are jerks, they KNOW MORE THAN YOU because of their experience and time in the game.

There is something I saw when I was still on active duty that so many fellow Marines never seemed to be able to figure out, the Gunny up there can probably attest to this too; If you want respect, you have to bust your ***** to get it. People will look down on you from the moment you get in because of some black painted brass on your shoulder. Don't let it get to you. Take every opportunity you have to show you are better than the rest, but don't suck up...we as your seniors hate that crap and you actually go on our s%$# list bc of it. Respect is huge in the Corps, it is how you get places. Learn how to give it and learn how to earn and I PROMISE you life can be good in the Corps.

Last thing for now, don't base your idea of the corps off of one instance or duty station. It is way too big for that.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

hey bj, name is joe and im stationed on MCAS Miramar. just do as everyone said already, work as a team and move fast when yelled at to do something. have fun! oh yeah and uh make sure you sound off!!!!!lol.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

boot was the best and worst experience of my life. keep your head up give 110 percent and always SOUND OFF
Old 01-17-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ironmancan
Why join up to stay in the same state? Get out go see the world and the rest of this great country plenty of time to come back later. I hope they send you to the east coast
I second this. The worst mistake I ever made was wanting to, and then getting stationed close to home to be near friends and family. Where ever you end up you will get new freinds and in many cases your old friends might not mix with you being in the military (some of the things you may have done in the past are just not an option now).

Anyway...I was stationed at the same base for 20 years. When I realized what I had missed not getting away from home I was married with kids and didn't want to upset their life if I didn't have to. Get out and see the world while you young and have nothing to tie you down. You won't regret it.

Re'

TSgt U.S. Air Force Retired
Old 01-20-2008, 03:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah don't get wrapped up in boot, it isn't the military life by any means, just consider it your right of passage and take the training and discipline you got there with you wherever you go for the rest of your life
Old 01-20-2008, 03:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

There's alot of military guys on here. Thats good.

I use to wanna be a navy seal, but all the work and everything just made me change my mind. I go to college, and I didn't want to lose those valuable years of my life. At least that was my mindset when I had a change of heart about making that committment.

Quick Reply: Joining the Marines feb 25th Any Advice?