Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

ROTC question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are you planning to go to school? My wife is in ROTC at UTA, you could talk with her also if youd like some info the ROTC of UTA is recruiting at six flags today (friday) and the lt col over ROTC will be there. Theyre in a back parking lot so you dont even have to pay to get in to talk to them.

basically if youre already army when you join ROTC youll be nondeployable until you graduate but must be a sophmore to join, you'll have PT m-w-f. You'll also have about 7 hrs of mil classes. You'll start at the beginning of the rank structure again for ROTC but still keep your rank at your unit until you contract. Once you contract you'll be a "cadet" and have to wear your ROTC rank and follow around an officer at your unit then once you graduate you owe the army 2 years of service for every one that you are contracted
Old 03-21-2008, 02:55 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by 2002t/a06
hey man what do you fly?
A desk...and not even a USAF desk...but a ROTC desk. I commission in August. SUPT at Columbus.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
AAAAHHH, from your original post it was like you were allready in ROTC and LOL at the ROTC patch hahaha.

Im not doing it for the money, this is something I have wanted all my life and its taken me 24 years to get to this point. I found out in the monring if I am in.

Ill get a 20k sign on bonus, I am not touching a penny of it, its going towards my retirement. For the rest of the money from here on out it does not matter, there is no overtime pay in the millitary. The job I am going after is one of the top labor intensive jobs in the millitary and they crank out a TON of hours. I could be admin and have it easy and work behined a nice dest but I don't want that. Its about the job and my country and following in my fathers foot steps who I am sure will retire with 40 years served.

If you are looking at it from a money stand point then I think most would agree with me that you don't even need to get into ROTC or the millitary and let someone else have your slat who really wants it.

They could tell me that the only things they can give me is a roof over my head, food, clothing, and utilities and I would still do it, no commisary benifiets, nothing, I would STILL do it!!!!!!!!!

I like saying "SNCO's turn officers into good officers and bad officers into nobodies"
What are you planning on doing?
Old 03-22-2008, 03:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air Guard F-16 Structures (base is slated to get JSF's), I retract my statment about it being one of the hardest with the hours and stuff when it comes to the AF, quite a few other jobs log tons of hours also. Sorry about that guys.

My recruiter was supposed to call me today (Friday) so I could tell him that I wanted to join (found out I could not do my first choice). He did not, hopefully I will hear from him Saturday..... if not I bet I will have to wait till Tuesday........

Im getting his office number next time he calls.......... Funny thing is that structures is a critical need to fill job at that base right now hahaha.

I have found that the GUARD recruiters for both ARMY and AF are a lot more well, less motivated to get people then active hahaha.

His wife went to the hospital the other day so I am not going to say anything.

Ive got flat feet but have no special insols and have worn Jumps boots for YEARS no problems, no pain at all. Can't do the duck walk to well but I am told that the other base here in IN does not have you do the Duck walk, I hope its the same for mine or at least they waiver it. They would not waiver my color vision or do a RAW test for me. Air Guard does not send you to MEPS for medical......

As long as that works out I am in and will ship out ASAP.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Army ROTC can basically be summed up like this:
Freshman and Sophomore years are a complete waste. If your high speed you can get slots to go to Airborne/ Air Assault.
During your third year the training will intensify in preparation for LDAC, which is about 7 weeks of basic leadership training and small unit tactics at Fort Lewis, Wa. It’s a 7 day a week training schedule with zero time off, but it’s easy. ROTC is not designed to teach you basic soldiering skills, its designed to teach you basic leadership skills.
Once you Commission you will go to BOLC II for Ft. Benning or Ft. Sill. It’s about 8 weeks of leadership and basic soldiering skills.
After BOLC II you will attend BOLC III which is specific to your Branch, Armor, Infantry, Ordnance, ETC. Length on these varies.
At some point in time, after you commission, you will also have the opportunity to go to other schools depending on your branch. AKA Ranger if you are IN.
BOLC II is so far behind schedule that those commissioning this year may not go to BOLC II until 12 months later.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, im a freshman in college, im not doing this for the money either so get that out of yall's heads. i had had a relative in every war for the past 200 years. its in my blood. but because im smart and want to plan out things for my family and future, money has to come into the equation sooner or later. i understand the risk involved so that being said, i need to know how my wife and future kids will be taken care of. sorry for caring about them. i appreciate all of your information. i start training tomorrow, and will enroll into the ROTC next semester.

thanks guys.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ckyconan2003
well, im a freshman in college, im not doing this for the money either so get that out of yall's heads. i had had a relative in every war for the past 200 years. its in my blood. but because im smart and want to plan out things for my family and future, money has to come into the equation sooner or later. i understand the risk involved so that being said, i need to know how my wife and future kids will be taken care of. sorry for caring about them. i appreciate all of your information. i start training tomorrow, and will enroll into the ROTC next semester.

thanks guys.
Look at it like this, as a brand new officer, with your shiny butter bar, you will make $2,555 for base pay, if you lived where you do right now you would get another $1,162 to pay for a house, $203 to pay for food. That's $3,920 a month. Starting pay. That's plenty of money for a family, especially seeing as I live off much less and have a wife and daughter. I understand where you're coming from wanting to take care of your family, I'm the same way. Some people say that if you're in it for the money it's the wrong reason. I won't argue that. But you sound like me, not in it for the money, but my service and pride doesn't pay me and my families bills, my paycheck does.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96WS6guy
Look at it like this, as a brand new officer, with your shiny butter bar, you will make $2,555 for base pay, if you lived where you do right now you would get another $1,162 to pay for a house, $203 to pay for food. That's $3,920 a month. Starting pay. That's plenty of money for a family, especially seeing as I live off much less and have a wife and daughter. I understand where you're coming from wanting to take care of your family, I'm the same way. Some people say that if you're in it for the money it's the wrong reason. I won't argue that. But you sound like me, not in it for the money, but my service and pride doesn't pay me and my families bills, my paycheck does.
Nailed it on the head sir. That's exactly it, there's a point where the money comes into it all, i appreciate the wisdom from this thread.

P.S: I'll wear my "butter bar" with pride, i promise you that.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also remember that BAH and BAS is tax free, which will keep also keep you in a lower tax bracket. You can make 50k on paper but net what a regular civilian making 60k nets.

Also once you make CPT, which isnt long, the pay will go up a whole bunch. A career as on offcier is a good career as long as you can put up with some of the crap in the military.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

I would try to find a place off post, if you live on post they take all of your BAH. I lived off post and found a place that gave mil discount and got to pocket around $400 from it which helped out a lot with groceries
Old 04-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

so i'll be in charge of people?
what are you an MS1? did your classroom instructor or PMS not tell you anything about ROTC? you might want to sit down with them and find out.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Nailed it on the head sir. That's exactly it, there's a point where the money comes into it all, i appreciate the wisdom from this thread.

P.S: I'll wear my "butter bar" with pride, i promise you that.
Don't call me sir, I work for a living.

I know how it is though. I love my country, and I love my job. But loving it doesn't pay my bills and allow me and my family to live comfortably. Doing my job, and doing it well does. So it all works out.

Quick Reply: ROTC question...