Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

ROTC question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ROTC question...

Because im going through ROTC and getting my degree while becoming an officer, will i be sort of picked on? I dont have to go through AIT or basic like those below me. Also, what does a 2nd Lt. intail? What will my job description basically be like? I would just like some info or the real truth about us ROTC cadets.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Launching!

The majority of officers come from ROTC, only about 20% are from the academy and OTS/OCS fills in the rest. A Lt is a LT. Enter your job knowing that you will be in charge of people who know significantly more about their job (and yours) than you do, ask for their advice and then make a decision. Don't be the one assh@le officer that makes the rest of us look bad. As far as what being a 2Lt entails, it all depends on your career field. If you are a cop, you'll be in charge of a lot of SP's as soon as you show up. If you are a pilot, you won't be in charge of anything (not even an aircraft) for a really long time. So I guess the answer is "It depends".

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

so i'll be in charge of people?
Old 03-18-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ckyconan2003
so i'll be in charge of people?
Like he said it depends on your job, pilot no, cop or something like that yes.

Listen to him though, wise words, listen to the NCO's and SNCO's bellow you and ask them for advice then decide what to do in the situation. You will find quite a few that have more years in the millitary doing that job then YEARS YOU HAVE BEEN ALIVE!!!!!!!!

If you are a pilot, listen to the people above you and listen to and respect your maintainers.

You still have to go to tech school, just not enlisted basic.

I have had the pleasure of knowing and working for some REALLY good SNCO's and senior officers, they all kept and open year with the people below them and asked questions.

Some people will tell you to find your SNCO's and tell them that if they see you doing something wrong or something with the job to pull you aside quietly and respectfully and have them point it out. Good officers respect that. They will expect you to do the same thing for them after you learn the ropes.

Lots of NCO's also have college degrees, they just did not want to be officers

I do know that most officers don't start to get a lof of respect/responsibilties untill they get Capt or so, its like enlisted, things don't really start to happen for you responsibility wise untill you get NCO IN MOST CASES. However I know a guy that a retired LTC and I would have hated to work for him in the millitary, hate working for him as a civilian. I also knew an AF 2LT that I worked for for a bit that I wanted to kick in the nuts more then a few times, guy has an ego and was rather cocky but have known some other really cool junior officers. I was going to go OTS but like my father we decided we wanted to be NCO's more.

Hope all this helps.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 03-18-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

So being an officer isnt like a dime a dozen type thing? Whats tech school? I'm Army, so what if i want to be an Army mechanic or something like that? I'm very good with computers and networks, i have been in the field and am an expert. Will they take those things into account? Or is there like an aptitude test?

P.S: Would you reccomend being married prior to enlisting or Nation Guard? Cause im told that if i do national guard/reserves then i get more money.. or maybe its if i enlist?
Old 03-19-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ckyconan2003
So being an officer isnt like a dime a dozen type thing? Whats tech school? I'm Army, so what if i want to be an Army mechanic or something like that? I'm very good with computers and networks, i have been in the field and am an expert. Will they take those things into account? Or is there like an aptitude test?

P.S: Would you reccomend being married prior to enlisting or Nation Guard? Cause im told that if i do national guard/reserves then i get more money.. or maybe its if i enlist?
You will not realy be doing too much hands on work, you will be more like a manager. You will select a few branch choices and depending on what the army needs you might get the branch you want.

yeah you get a housing allowance and food allowance. Dont get married just for that the little extra money though becasue
Old 03-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Like he was saying, don't get married just for the extra money. You will be an officer, you will make plenty of money.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, i have a girl who im to marry so it wouldnt be a rushed thing lol. It's good to know these things, any idea on what officers make?
Old 03-20-2008, 04:49 AM
TECH Addict

Here is the base pay rates for elisted, warrent officer, and officer,

http://www.dfas.mil/army2/militarypa...ayCharts35.pdf

Being an officer after ABOUT 10 years of service depending on your rank you will hit the MAX base enlisted pay, as in your pay will equal that of an enlisted guy who has 40 years in and has the highest rank they can get. As you can see a O-10 with 40 years in makes a little more then 17k a month, compared to the most senior enlisted guy with 40 making 6k range a month base pay. Keep in mind I THINK most 4 star generals (O-10's) are acadamy grads. You will start aout about 1,000 bucks more a month then the most junior enlisted guy.

Tech school is the same as AIT or whatever for the ARMY, AF calls it tech school. Its were you go to school in the millitary to learn how to do the job you are going to do.

If you are a computer guy and like it then do that in the ARMY if you ask me.

I should know in a few hours if the ANG base I am wanting to join can get me around two issues that I have, if they can I am going enlisted, I have college and could do another two years to get officer but I don't want to be an officer, I did something like ROTC for 8 years and the last year I was an officer and really did not like it, I was a senior NCO before that. Like said above think of an officer as a manager and the enlisted guys as the workers, however the senior enlisted people more often then not are managers also but you are still their manager.

How long have you been ROTC?

For enlisted there is the ASVAB and its an aptitude type test and that score decides what jobs you can do, not sure what they do for officers.

Whatever you do NEVER do something just for the pay.......... and just because you are ROTC does not mean you have to be an officer.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i want to be an officer, and i dont have an issue with being in a spot with responsibility. I have pretty strong leadership skills when im an appointed leader. All this info really helps guys, i really appreciate it. Well you see im waiting to hear about my contract and whatnot, but i start ROTC next semester. The major here wants me to start PT with them as soon as i pass my PT test so that way i can meet the guys and get into a good workout regiment. But i am still trying to train myself to run 2mile, i could've done it two years ago in my junior year of highschool, but its been awhile. So anyways, what is a 2LT on that list? O-?.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

O-1...
Old 03-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Teching In

In the 1st part of yor senior year you will be able to ask for 3 different jobs that you would like to do in the Army. They will go in priority on the list. Depending on what you want to do in the Army like Infintry, Armor, ADA or MP, you will have to go to OBC (Officer Basic Course) at the Installation that the school is at. After you graduate OBC you will be assigned to a unit. If you pick any of the BIG 4 and MP, you will most likely be on your way to what we call a line unit. Most of the time they put brand new LT's in Company's to learn what they need to do there job. After you spend some time as a Platoon leader you will either be a Company XO or they will move you to a Battalion to be a staff officer. Average time as a PL (platoon leader) is about 18 months depending on how good you are. If you go into the job thinking you are better than everyone and know everything, the SNCO's ( senior noncommissioned officers) willlet you fall on your face before they help you out (at least I did with my last PL, west pointers sucks most of the time but you will see for yourself.) You will make CPT (O-3) after about 2 1/2 years in the army. Like people have said, ask questions then decide what you think would work the best. You will be able to see who is good and who is not after about a mont in the unit. Any questions just ask!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:37 PM
NKAWTG...N

How old are you? What year in school are you?

Because if you are already enrolled in AROTC you should know the answer to 98% of these questions. You will be in charge of people as an officer, you will have a lot of responsibility, and you will be expected to be an expert in everything you do. You will always need to have a high morale and never bitch or complain about anything infront of your subordinates or superiors...so basically only time you can is infront of the mirror.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:38 PM
NKAWTG...N

Oh yea here is my flight suit moral patch...it sums ROTC up nicely:
Attached Thumbnails ROTC question...-patch.jpg  
Old 03-20-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

i havnt been in ROTC yet, but i am trying to know as much as i can before i make a final decision. But knowing that i'll only be making 38.5K PRIOR to taxes, isnt really impressive at all. I mean, thats not much at all....even if it's tax free. My major can take me to 60-80K starting. i'd almost rather just take out another loan. Thanks for the info thus far. But yea, i havnt gone through anything or have been told anything, thats why im asking these questions, i dont wanna sign up for something i know nothing about.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:47 PM
NKAWTG...N

People rarely join the military thinking they will get rich. I joined due to my desire to serve my country. Not the pay check.

As for your pay, yes its 38.5k or so prior to taxes, then you get BAH, then you get tri-care, deployment pay, hazard pay, flight pay, etc. There are tons of add ons. But regardless, you will never be rich while you work for the government.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by StoleIt
People rarely join the military thinking they will get rich. I joined due to my desire to serve my country. Not the pay check.

As for your pay, yes its 38.5k or so prior to taxes, then you get BAH, then you get tri-care, deployment pay, hazard pay, flight pay, etc. There are tons of add ons. But regardless, you will never be rich while you work for the government.

hey man what do you fly?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

ah, well this is all good to know thanks guys.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

You aren't counting housing allowance and food money. Or you'd be way above 38k a year.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:12 AM
TECH Addict

AAAAHHH, from your original post it was like you were allready in ROTC and LOL at the ROTC patch hahaha.

Im not doing it for the money, this is something I have wanted all my life and its taken me 24 years to get to this point. I found out in the monring if I am in.

Ill get a 20k sign on bonus, I am not touching a penny of it, its going towards my retirement. For the rest of the money from here on out it does not matter, there is no overtime pay in the millitary. The job I am going after is one of the top labor intensive jobs in the millitary and they crank out a TON of hours. I could be admin and have it easy and work behined a nice dest but I don't want that. Its about the job and my country and following in my fathers foot steps who I am sure will retire with 40 years served.

If you are looking at it from a money stand point then I think most would agree with me that you don't even need to get into ROTC or the millitary and let someone else have your slat who really wants it.

They could tell me that the only things they can give me is a roof over my head, food, clothing, and utilities and I would still do it, no commisary benifiets, nothing, I would STILL do it!!!!!!!!!

I like saying "SNCO's turn officers into good officers and bad officers into nobodies"

Quick Reply: ROTC question...