Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

I need help, US Army...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help, US Army...

I am an E-4 promotable in the reserves, I am set to go to psu in the fall as a contracted cadet however I just ran into an unexpected financial burdon of between $3,000-5,000 !!! I do not have the means to pay for this, some students have run into the same issue and had to go bankrupt! I think the only way to pay is to volunteer for a tour to iraq. I have no family, friends, or any means what so ever in any way shape or form to cover this cost so I think a deployment is the only way. Which also means bye bye psu...

I need to know what options I have as a volunteer soldier, I have 2 MOS's so I don't know which one I would go as, or if I could ask to go as another MOS. I know that they have crash course trained soldiers as MP's over there, and civil affairs etc. I just do not know how it works, or if I should take that route as a sollution. I don't know what to do or how to go about this. What my options are or what they are not.

I also wondered if certain gear I should buy myself. Such as an ACH, I cannot STAND the old style kevlars, but didn't know if I would be getting new gear when in theater or if I would be using stuff from my unit (crap gear). I would rather buy an ACH on my own as well as my own IBA instead of going there and having to deal with crap gear for 12 months.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, PSU is insanely overrated. I went there as a freshman, and the party scene got old and boring after roughly two months. I took a leave of absence after my freshman year and went to Valley Forge Military College, got involved with the Early Commissioning Program there, and just finished it. Now I am free to finish up college wherever I want, and got commissioning out of the way early. I would look into something like that, as you can get a full scholarship if you contract with the ECP program, you get paid as an E-5 monthly, and get a stipend of a few grand every year...plus you get free college courses. On the weekends you can go out, and with Villanova, St Joes, and a whole host of other colleges in the area, you'll find no shortage of females and a social scene. Hit me up on AIM: rm5063 if you have any questions about it. Aside from all that, you'll also get commissioned at the end of two years, and it's a hell of a lot more comfortable and exciting than enlisted life.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have a mod move this into the Military section. You'll probably get some more responses there
Old 05-27-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

If you dont have ties at home a deployment is easy, go and get your money. If you got into college already but leave for a deployment I dont think they can just not accept you again, ask your university; you should be able to turn in a copy of your orders and just suspend everything. Similar to getting your cell phone suspended on deployment
Old 05-27-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Depending on your MOS a deployment isnt really that bad. Hell you could wind up spending a year on victory or anaconda. That like a damn vacation!
Old 05-30-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya

I also wondered if certain gear I should buy myself. Such as an ACH, I cannot STAND the old style kevlars, but didn't know if I would be getting new gear when in theater or if I would be using stuff from my unit (crap gear). I would rather buy an ACH on my own as well as my own IBA instead of going there and having to deal with crap gear for 12 months.

no worries...if you do decide to go this route your TA50 will be updated to the newest high speed snivel gear we got. they wont let you wear 15 year old gear and a cruddy IBA when everyone else has the newest safest stuff.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya dude I already had all brand new stuff when I deployed, but they reissued everything anyway just because it wasnt ACU colors. Youll get everything you need.
God I hate ACU's...
Old 05-30-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am an E-4 promotable in the reserves, I am set to go to psu in the fall as a contracted cadet however I just ran into an unexpected financial burdon of between $3,000-5,000 !!! I do not have the means to pay for this, some students have run into the same issue and had to go bankrupt! I think the only way to pay is to volunteer for a tour to iraq. I have no family, friends, or any means what so ever in any way shape or form to cover this cost so I think a deployment is the only way. Which also means bye bye psu...
Have you talked to LTC Lysinger at PSU ROTC?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 325trooper
Have you talked to LTC Lysinger at PSU ROTC?
I did, they pretty much advised me to see if I could get the term of payment stretched out as long as possible. The best they are going to do is $3,800 over 18 months which is $217 per month I think?

This is what I have to pay out per month if I went:

Rent: $340 per month
Car payment: $167 per month (I can't sell it because it needs a new fender, shocks/struts... it'd cost more just to sell it to save $167 per mo...
Cell phone: $80
Credit Card: $70
Star Card: $80
Personal Loan: $101
Personal Loan: $13.35
Gas: $150 (conservative figure)

= $1001 per month!

with the settlement = $1218 !!!

I get per month from a job, drill, rotc...

ROTC Stipend: $350
Drill pay: $240 I think
Gi Bill: $306 (but it never comes consistantly/on time per month... I always get freakin BACK paid...

sooo heres the break down:

Part time job: 20 hours a week ($8.00 an hour) between ROTC and class 20 hours a week is all I can prob swing... = $493 per month after taxes...

Stipend: $350 mo
Drill: $240 mo
Gi BILL: if it even ******* comes in on time $306
Part time job: $493

= $1389 per month... IF the Gi Bill even comes on time... if not then psh we know the deal.

I didn't even count FOOD!

I think I'm F'ed...

and even if I volunteer to deploy there isn't even a damn guarantee I'll get to GO! How fucked up is that!
Old 06-04-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Deploy, or try to go over as a civilian. You'll only need a six month tour, even working for DOD you'll knock that debt out and have $30k or more left over.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cyphur
Deploy, or try to go over as a civilian. You'll only need a six month tour, even working for DOD you'll knock that debt out and have $30k or more left over.
How the hell would I go over as a Civilian and WHY!? What do I have to offer them as a civilian? I'd like to go over as civil affairs, even though it isn't my MOS a guy I knew went as CA even though his MOS was 74D...
Old 06-04-2008, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

Get a school loan.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
Depending on your MOS a deployment isnt really that bad. Hell you could wind up spending a year on victory or anaconda. That like a damn vacation!
Yeah, or he could end up at Rustimiya or Loyality and since he is a reserve Soldier end up just pulling gate/tower/dfac guard the whole deployment.

Recommend getting a student loan to cover your debts. Talk with your PMS, get an appointment with Financial Aid guy there and discuss your options. Their job is to get students into the school and find ways to pay for it. They would be a wealth of knowledge. Sure, you may have debts after graduation/commissioning, but after your first deployment as an LT, those will be long gone.

If you really want a deployment, CA would be a good way to go. Out on the streets, getting to know the local nationals and helping their communities prosper. It would really be a great opportunity for you to grow as an individual.

Last edited by kidreno_21; 06-11-2008 at 04:27 AM. Reason: typos
Old 06-11-2008, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

I found a CA unit that is going. But if I went with them without one of there MOS's how woudl that work?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

How the hell would I go over as a Civilian and WHY!? What do I have to offer them as a civilian? I'd like to go over as civil affairs, even though it isn't my MOS a guy I knew went as CA even though his MOS was 74D...
Nevermind, if you aren't willing to put any amount of thought into this problem, or be polite, then you obviously don't need any help. Or the 80-100K most civilians are making over there.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:54 AM
On The Tree

I found a CA unit that is going. But if I went with them without one of there MOS's how woudl that work?
First things first. You need to inform your chain of command or talk with your PMS and finance guy, or do both. If you don't do the leg work here, it won't get done.

Talk with your NCOIC, let your chain of command know about your issues. If they are willing to release you to another unit, then you should be good. I think you may need to do up a DA4187 in order to inform your next unit that your current unit is willing to release you.

Ensure that you have your current NCOIC cross talk with the unit you want to join. Once that has happened and the gaining unit is willing to take you, then have the first O-5 in your chain of command sign the 4187 and walk it over to the new unit. Once your new unit has this information, then they can legally begin counting you on their personnel roster.

This should be an easy process. All you have to do is make a few phone calls, and you will probably have to stop by both units.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kidreno_21
First things first. You need to inform your chain of command or talk with your PMS and finance guy, or do both. If you don't do the leg work here, it won't get done.

Talk with your NCOIC, let your chain of command know about your issues. If they are willing to release you to another unit, then you should be good. I think you may need to do up a DA4187 in order to inform your next unit that your current unit is willing to release you.

Ensure that you have your current NCOIC cross talk with the unit you want to join. Once that has happened and the gaining unit is willing to take you, then have the first O-5 in your chain of command sign the 4187 and walk it over to the new unit. Once your new unit has this information, then they can legally begin counting you on their personnel roster.

This should be an easy process. All you have to do is make a few phone calls, and you will probably have to stop by both units.

I am a reservist for one, my unit I would be going to Iraq with is an Active Duty Unit. If I change units, then I would be in the Active Duty Unit for good and I don't want that, especially considering I am not MOS Q'd with a CA MOS.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:06 AM
On The Tree

Default Call your unit!

Hey brother, call your reserve unit, inform them of your situation.

I understand that you want to remain in the reserves, a simple 4187 will not change you from a reservist to a regular army Soldier. What you need to do is find a reserve unit, you mentioned that you know a CA unit that is deploying, and talk to them. The 4187 will only transfer you to that CA unit, not the regular army unit it will become attached to once it hits theater. Upon RE-deployment, you will remain in the CA unit until you get orders (4187 or the like) to go back to your old RESERVE unit.

For the fourth time, call your unit, your PMS, and get ahold of the financial aid guy at your school.

Also, it would benefit you greatly to go on a deployment. The MGIB benefits are about to go through the roof for veterans of OIF and OEF. You will end up not paying a dime if these benefits increase like they are talking about.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just voulnteer for a deployment. It's what you make of it, and you make some good cash. You said you have no family, friends, pets then your good. You really dont have anything to worry about when you get out here. You will have your finaces paid off before you know it. Seriously in less than 3 months you can pay it off. Depending on how much you get for your BAH you could use that and easily pay your finanical problems. Gear is too easy you get all that issued thru CIF & RFI all the new ****. Improvised IBA & ACH they'll even throw in a gerber. Go ahead take the deployment and when you come back you will have it made if you play it smart and take advantage of the TSP come ack with an easy 30K. All to easy I wouldnt even stress. Im writting you from Iraq and I like it. You might even extend like I did. Dont worry about what job youll do out here, 9 out of 10 times when you come over you dont even do your job. They will put you where they need you pretty much. Like they said you might get lucky and not even have to go to Iraq, you might get stuck in Kuwait working at qatar.

Quick Reply: I need help, US Army...