Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

The story of how I got shot in a Navy range yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The story of how I got shot in a Navy range yesterday...

Ok it took me forever to write this with one hand but such is life right? So I had an interesting day at work today! I got a bullet in my arm!

Ok so here we go...

I was watching/teaching someone how to shoot the M16 today in the indoor range today that we have on base over here. The range has 6 lanes and I was behind a shooter while they were firing watching him which is what I was supposed to be doing. So all of the sudden something hits me in my front right forearm HARD. I step back and look down but it takes me a second because at first it honestly didn't hurt. Anyway I see all of this blood and a hole in my arm... I honestly think I went into shock because I didn't say **** I just was looking at all the blood. A bullet had come back and went into my arm. No one actually saw me get hit. So anyway I walk over to the person in charge of the range and he sees it and instantly freaks out and evacuates everyone from the range. I am sorta carried outside/walk myself and they have me sit as they try to clean the blood. Seriously though it didn't hurt at first! The one instructor there who had been shot said it never hurts at first. The range EMT comes and says I need to go to the hospital now (obviously.)

So making it brief they thought they were going to have to put me out and perform full on nerve/muscle surgery to get it out. By shear luck the bullet missed my nerves!! Which is obviously an extremely good thing right? After hours they decide to leave it in! Yeah you heard me. The risk of going in and damaging my nerves was too high so now I will have a bullet in my arm for the rest of my life!! Fucked up huh?

Oh yeah it ******* hurts like hell. Especially after initial shock wares off.

My arm is in a cast/splint thing. Yeah there is a hole in my arm.

I am lucky it hit my arm and not my face or hitting someone else!

But hey I got Oxycontin

Yeah I am active duty Navy as a submarine torpedo man and am A qualified SAMI/RSO (range master, ect.) Been browsing LS1Tech for years just don't really post.

Anyone else ever have anything like this happen on range??
Old 08-07-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's freakin' bizzare. Do they have video in the range to help investigate the incident?

I've never fired one indoors. Good luck in your rehabilitation.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

thats nuts man, I thought all DoD ranges were set up to catch em at the end
Old 08-07-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did the round ricochet off of?

You're lucky man. Another foot or so and that sucker would have been in your torso.

Time to pin on that purple heart
Old 08-07-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
Time to pin on that purple heart

You dont get a purple heart for getting wounded on the range.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would seek an opinion from some more doctors on leaving a lead round in your arm, it could cause lead related problems in the future. I would want it removed and i am sure there is a doctor that can do it safely.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

What range was this at??

Good luck on everything. Oxycontin Rules!!!! lol Espically with a few beers.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

you will get a nice check for the rest of your life once you get out!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
You dont get a purple heart for getting wounded on the range.
Sarcasm > you
Old 08-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Restricted User

Just leave it in. The risk is not worth it. You can live the rest of your life with a piece of frag in you, it's OK. I didn't know soft skill squids did weapons training at all. Keep it clean and dry.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

wow thats crazy man. glad is just hit your arm. oh btw dont get addicted to that oxycodone
Old 08-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone. This was at the Ford Island range in Pearl Harbor, HI. Yeah they clean it out every week so honestly I think it was blind luck and just hit another bullet or maybe someone shot the wall. So far they just took a statement but today I have to go sit in a room full of khaki and tell them what happened so I dunno if they want "blood" or not. Yeah at first I was kinda meh about a bullet/frag being left in me but they said it happens all the time and they don't want to hurt me taking it out. I may get another opinion though.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

yea sometimes just like they said it will do more harm if they try to remove it. damage nerves, blood vessels etc. if your not havin any problems with it in, it is prolly best to just leave it in.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

Kinda the same thing happened with me.. Not getting shot. but I shattered my ankle two years ago, had to have a whole bunch of hardware put in, One really long screw that holds my tib and fib together broke. I asked for them to take it out, cause they rub against each other a little, and when it is cold out, its really uncomfortable. I went to three different doctors, and they said for them to remove it, would probibly mean I would never be able to run again, They would have to drill almost a 1/2 hole to just to get a 1/4 DIA screw out. So its going to stay..
Old 08-08-2008, 02:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn dude. That makes me happy we are shooting at puuloaa for our m-16 shoot. Now it makes me scared to even shoot the 9mm over on ford lol.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Never heard of a ricochet like that, but my friend from high school got shot by some retard in Benning During basic. Square on the IBA, on Malone16 I think it was. He said all he remembers was waking up with his squad standing over him and the drill sergeants tackling the dumbass who shot him.

Then supposedly a Sgt on my deployment said a guy he trained with in his last deployment when he was infantry put a controlled pair in his knee in a live shoot-house. He was trying to bust in a door and shot himself whilest bringing the M4 up. All I gotta say is: that takes discipline. Didn't just shoot himself once, but put the follow up shot in his leg too.

Well hope you recover; maybe now they'll put some lead catchers back there.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by socmguy
I didn't know soft skill squids did weapons training at all.
All rates are being sent on IA's, and they train all IA's with either the M-16 or the M-9.

I also had to train with the saw when I was in theatre.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

When I was on a ship everyone was atleast 9mm and M16 qual'd. And then other people had to get qual'd on the .50 and other crew served weapons.

Not only Marines shoot weapons these days
Old 08-11-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm surprised more kids don't get shot in boot camp during 9mm training. In my division alone, 2 kids were kicked out for pointing the pistol at others on accident.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

**** just going to a normal non military shooting range i have seen plenty of shot marks in the windows behind where you stand. Happens usualy from people hitting the clamps that hold the targets in though, thats why they say you are not allowed to shoot for the head.