Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Thinking about joining the NAVY! Input welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008 | 03:46 PM
Teching In

Default Thinking about joining the NAVY! Input welcome!

Hey guys im really thinking about joining the navy! The number one reason is to pay off my student loans i have $45,000 at %15 intrest I know thats F'n crazy! I went to WyoTech for autobody repair now i work in a bodyshop in Iowa making $16 an hour working like a slave with no benefits!!! Number Two reason is to become a Military cop and when i get out plans to stay a cop and hopefully down the road become a member of SWAT or like DEA. Something sweet not just giving tickets for no seatbelts! Third reason i want a bad *** m6 SS F-body!! So what do you guys say im 21 and i feel like i need to make a change can you guys tell me good and bad experiences/Things to watch out for Thanks in advance!!!

Ryan
Old 08-23-2008 | 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Dont get rapped
Old 08-23-2008 | 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're going MA, I hope you like reaaaaalllly big beaches and being sent IA. I've got a little over 7 years active as an Avionics Technician. I've done 5 deployments, been to more countries than I can even recall, and had a blast doing it. I'm out at the end of this enlistment because I'm ready to start working for myself.

If you really would like opinions/advice, my best friend miguel and i enlisted together, he went MA and got out early this year. He could tell you all about the MA side of the house, pm me for an email address if you're seriously interested. If it were up to me I'd go with a critical rate like CT, catch a huge bonus signing up, get advanced hella quick, and deploy to some great locations (which all equals $$$ to pay off your student loans).
Old 08-23-2008 | 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kclskgl
Dont get rapped
Sound advice there buddy. I'm sure when he's not getting raped he'll be sure to thank you. Should probably tell him not to get cancer either.
Old 08-23-2008 | 08:52 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by kclskgl
Dont get rapped
Dumbass...

Spelling > you
Old 08-23-2008 | 09:10 PM
Teching In

highly rec military I did it when i was younger it was one of the best exp.of my life. If you make it twenty years you get great retirement ( I did not make it that long) but it is great life exp. and when you get out the military opens alot of doors for you.. Hope that helps good luck!
Old 08-23-2008 | 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

If you have any questions, I am a Navy recruiter and I will make sure you get actual info instead of crap by a normal recruiter you run into on the street

You would definitely benefit yourself by joining. The LRP (Loan Repayment Program) is a great option for you. It will take car of your student loans, but it doesn't start paying until you have been in for a year (it might be shorter, I would have to check the manual). So you would have to keep making your payments until the LRP kicked in, or tell the finance company you went through for your loans and tell them you enlisted and will receive the LRP, and they will usually defer your payments and let the LRP $$ take care of it. You have to make sure you keep making your payments, or work it out with them, because you have to be in good standing with the finance company or you will be disqualified from the LRP.

And like it was mentioned before, it you want to be a MA in the Navy, be prepared to get sent to the sand pit or down to Cuba, because thats where most MAs go.

Another thing...why are your loans at 15%?? Aren't most student loans given a really low % rate?
Old 08-23-2008 | 10:00 PM
Teching In

Alright what is an MA and a CT???? and i thought after boot camp i got sent to school for the job i choose?? and if busted my *** in A school then i could possibly get a choice were to locate which i would like to be in sunny california!!! So are you talking about going to cuba and all that on deployments or being stationed there??? And the student loan BS is retarted its fedral loans i got by myself and i messed up my credit pretty good in 9 months with no job my loans are fedral and no one in my family will co sign!!! I have some more questions Ill ask tommorow Thanks And a big bonus sounds good i want a low milage ss

Ryan
Old 08-23-2008 | 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

CT and MA are rates. Im a CTT, which is a Cryptologic Technician - Technical. We do alot of different jobs, mostly related to signals analysis and radar detection (the system i work on is basically a big radar detector) but there are other CT rates as well. MA is Master At Arms, which is Navy terms for Military Police. http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlis...a/navyjobs.htm

You are supposed to get a choice of where you want to go when you finish A school, but sometimes it doesn't work that way. A bunch of people in my A school class wanted the east coast and ended up in Cali.lol. If you look at the website that shows orders for MAs, which is where the Navy needs MAs, 80% of them are in Bahrain or Cuba at Guantanamo Bay. MAs have alot more options of places to go too, since all Navy bases need police officers, but they need alot of MAs overseas too...which is the drawback.
Old 08-24-2008 | 12:16 AM
Banned

Can I ask why navy for something like a cop?
Old 08-24-2008 | 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wannaB
Alright what is an MA and a CT???? and i thought after boot camp i got sent to school for the job i choose?? and if busted my *** in A school then i could possibly get a choice were to locate which i would like to be in sunny california!!! So are you talking about going to cuba and all that on deployments or being stationed there??? And the student loan BS is retarted its fedral loans i got by myself and i messed up my credit pretty good in 9 months with no job my loans are fedral and no one in my family will co sign!!! I have some more questions Ill ask tommorow Thanks And a big bonus sounds good i want a low milage ss

Ryan

You asked to be a cop, MA is the military version of that. By reaaaalllly big beaches I mean Bahrain with deployments into Iraq, Afghanistan, and Kuwait pretty regularly. I was just giving examples of critical rates that don't require BUDS like seal or EOD.

If you are trying to get a bonus, talk to the recruiter and find rates in Creo group 1...these are the undermanned rates that usually offer good advancement and almost always offer bonuses to lure people into them. There are some pretty cool jobs, and if you go like CT for example you could end up flying which pays an extra 150 a month, can get quite a few short deployments (3 months at a crack) and collect all sorts of per diem (when deployed with the EP-3E guys for example you can make up to an EXTRA $3k-4k a month depending on the per diem rate).

I'm just trying to find you the most money route to get your loans payed off. Or you could just get in touch with KBR, Haliburton, Mantech, Raytheon, or any company that does contracting in Iraq, go for a year, make 100k, and come back and be debt free.
Old 08-24-2008 | 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

If your looking for the money route and want to get your loans payed off, plus want to be stationed in sunny california, you should just try for seals. The bonus for completing BUD/S is $40,000.00 and the re-enlistment bonus after your first 4 years is $90,000.00. You'll also be eligible for all the extra pays seals are entitled to like Dive pay, demo pay, special duty assignment pay, and jump pay each month. Anyways, it's an option for you.
Old 08-24-2008 | 12:06 PM
Teching In

Jperran what interested me in the navy in the first place is the LOAN REPAYMENT PROGAM they offer so in 4 short years i could have my loans paid off=debt free for me and get paid to change my career how do you lose! Seriously guys you have been way more help than i ever thought i would get posting a question on here! Isnt seal training like super crazy i understand that regular boot camp is no walk in the park but 40k sounds damn good to me! And ill sure try not to get raped or cancer haha
Old 08-24-2008 | 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

SEAL training is no joke. Before you can get accepted in the program, a SEAL motivator that is stationed in your area will come to your recruiting station and give you a PT test to see if you qualify. If you're not in great physical condition and have good stamina I would not bother. The recruiter will give you more info about it if you are really interested in it.
Old 08-24-2008 | 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually Basic Training is a walk in the park. It was nothing like I thought it was going to be, and honestly from what I've heard its even easier now. I've been out over two years now, I will tell you it was a great time in my down time, but some aggravating things happen. I was a Aviation Electrician, decent job. I'm going to tell you it maybe hard to pick a good rate, some are over crowded which makes advancing a pain in the ***. It took just 3 months shy of my 4 year enlistment to make E4, talk about something that makes you decide screw this, especially if you pass every test, PRT, and never get in trouble. So choose your rate choose your fate is the oft spoken line of truth.

So if you are planning on just one enlistment to change careers and pay off loans, I say go for it, you may even decide its the thing for you.
Old 08-24-2008 | 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Basic training has changed ALOT.

Im sure when you went through, you had to do your Battle Stations by running from place to place on base, staying awake for forever, etc... its not like that anymore. They have the new Battlestations 21 or whatever that is a big life-like ship that moves and stuff. Its pretty cool though. I believe a company that designs things for Universal Studios or something designed it.
http://livedesignonline.com/stagingrental/war_games/
Old 08-24-2008 | 03:11 PM
Teching In

Whatever you do don't go submarines...
Old 08-24-2008 | 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

why navy and not air force?
Old 08-24-2008 | 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
why navy and not air force?
+1. why not AF?
Old 08-24-2008 | 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Cause the AF sucks, duh!

Quick Reply: Thinking about joining the NAVY! Input welcome!