Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces
View Poll Results: How do you like being in the military?
I love it! Its like a dream come true!
27.90%
Its good, but not great.
48.93%
I don't really care for it much.
11.59%
I friggin' hate life and would jump at any earliest opportunity to get out!
11.59%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Poll time. How many of you like being in the Military?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigT2002
Totally agree, and I'm still curious as to why 1C4's haven't been put into AFSOC all together and just let it be anyways. Of all the ALO's I have met, the only one who seemed to know wtf they were talking about is the Viper East Demo guy here at Shaw. Was at the 24ASOS in HI.
I don't know if all of us will make the change, but I know the 17th ASOS is full on AFSOC now, but it's only our Ranger and SOF TACP's.

I'm a fan of the idea of taking the water **** out of CCT and turning CCT into the Ranger/SOF JTAC's and leaving the rover watching and TOC sitting to a "regular" airman.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

im in the marine corps i love it, but like posted earlier there are some days when i hate it, I only have 16 years left and i retire!!!!! 1/6 HARD
Old 09-07-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jperran
I don't know if all of us will make the change, but I know the 17th ASOS is full on AFSOC now, but it's only our Ranger and SOF TACP's.

I'm a fan of the idea of taking the water **** out of CCT and turning CCT into the Ranger/SOF JTAC's and leaving the rover watching and TOC sitting to a "regular" airman.
With whats going on now with the UAV's and such, I wouldn't find that idea too farsighted at all bro.

Not to mention TACP's will never be taken care of at the Commanders level until ALO becomes an actual AFSC. If they make a AFSC for UAV operators, they sure as hell better make one for ALO's. Hell bring back Warrant Officers and you can fill both those slots with Airman already doing the damn jobs.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I voted it's good, but not great just because I couldn't bring myself to say I love it...

...but it has been good to me so far. I just figure that if I wasn't dealing with the occasional dumbass in the military, that I would be dealing with an ocasional dumbass as a civillian.

I didn't join unitl I was 22, and I had a few full time jobs before I was in, and it was pretty much the same besides the deployments, but they don't bother me.

I only have 16 years left and i retire!!!!!
My motivation as well.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was absolutely ready to get out when I left, but looking back at the good times I had with buddies and all the places I got to see. It was a great experience for me. You just don't get that time back.

Jon
Old 09-13-2008, 01:18 AM
Teching In

I have had a good time in the Army (12 years), and then it has its downs... I was Infantry for 8yr tell I broke my back on an Airborne mission, then got med reclassed to hospital paper bitch (It was nice at first, did not have to worry about freezing my azz, or being soaking wet in the field.) I am an outdoors person and was seeing my self about to get into trouble in the hospital area. So I reclassed to a wheel mech once my back recover from surgery..

I have received some of the best training, but what really got me was when I went to Ft Jackson for schooling for mech. The new soldiers now a dayz have no respect for NCO's and Officer's. It is not the Drill SGTs that run everything.. It is the PVT's. Recruiters are letting all kinda people in the military. It is not just the Army it is every branch. This is messing it up for the members that are and have served in the military.

When I get a new PVT in my section. I tell them who is the boss, and what they did or heard in basic to forget it. I will not allow it on my watch, and if they dont like what I say they better start steppin. I have had to see TOP several times in a support unit.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I chose good but not great. I like the military but it pisses me the **** off at times.

Like right now I'm at work... I'm on standby and this is the 3rd time I've been called in. Been at it for 12 hours now... waste of gas driving out here for 5k of fuel on some pos c130 that probably just got done running engines... like it couldn't wait 3 ****** hours till dayshift got in.

/rant
Old 09-14-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
I chose good but not great. I like the military but it pisses me the **** off at times.

Like right now I'm at work... I'm on standby and this is the 3rd time I've been called in. Been at it for 12 hours now... waste of gas driving out here for 5k of fuel on some pos c130 that probably just got done running engines... like it couldn't wait 3 ****** hours till dayshift got in.

/rant
I watch out for our guys on standby and ask the person calling if its "life/death" type thing. If it doesn't effect O.N.E. then it can wait till the duty day
Old 09-14-2008, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

I enjoy it a lot! I mean where else can you shoot, blow **** up, jump from planes, dive, hunt bad people down, stay in shape, and travel the world, etc., etc.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

i would get out at the first chance. yea i dont run around in the sand box but i just expected it to be more hard core u could say. liek more of what the older guys call "old school navy". but i live in the nuke world and dont get paid for it. but i dont get mad.. i guess i shoulda chose a different rate lol. but its fun i like who i work with. so people make it worth while. but i can make good money wheni get out so its all good. i am going to crossrate here soon. might try out for EOD or just stay safe with a different enginering rate. but i mak ethe best of it no sense in being miserable
Old 09-15-2008, 04:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I voted good, but not great. I hvae my board for my fish tomorrow, so hopefully that makes life better.

I will say though, being in the sub force has taught me that there is definately more BS to deal with. But I have learned so much and made so amazing friends in my 2yrs in so far
Old 09-15-2008, 06:42 AM
EW1
Launching!

I love the navy, life seems so hard at times while being underway all the time but pulling in somewhere for four days and living it up with all your buddies really makes up for all the BS. Now that I am on shore duty, life is really.....really slow and that too makes up for all the stress.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I chose good but not great because after 19 years i cant complain but i am at the point where i am pretty beat down and ready to move on. From Desert Storm until preset the Army has been pretty busy. Being in combat arms it doesnt slow down. Then again retired at 37 wont be a bad thing..
Old 09-28-2008, 03:58 AM
TECH Resident

sign me up for the early departure!
Old 10-02-2008, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

The Army/ Infantry is alot like high school/college. Lots of beer, lots of parties, dorms , woman , ******, classes, *** holes, field trips, exercise, experiments, etc....

I love it. will I do it for the rest of my life probally not. But as of right now I get paid too shoot and clear rooms. God I love my job.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

I think its complete bullshit. By the end of my 5 year enlistment I will have spent 42 ******* months between Iraq and Afghanistan.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

If I were to have had a different PCS assignment it may have been better.. I don't regret it at all..
Old 10-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wein77
I have had a good time in the Army (12 years), and then it has its downs... I was Infantry for 8yr tell I broke my back on an Airborne mission, then got med reclassed to hospital paper bitch (It was nice at first, did not have to worry about freezing my azz, or being soaking wet in the field.) I am an outdoors person and was seeing my self about to get into trouble in the hospital area. So I reclassed to a wheel mech once my back recover from surgery..

I have received some of the best training, but what really got me was when I went to Ft Jackson for schooling for mech. The new soldiers now a dayz have no respect for NCO's and Officer's. It is not the Drill SGTs that run everything.. It is the PVT's. Recruiters are letting all kinda people in the military. It is not just the Army it is every branch. This is messing it up for the members that are and have served in the military.

When I get a new PVT in my section. I tell them who is the boss, and what they did or heard in basic to forget it. I will not allow it on my watch, and if they dont like what I say they better start steppin. I have had to see TOP several times in a support unit.

I couldnt agree more
Old 10-11-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wein77

I could not agree more. I will say that I am not in a postion to say anything to NCOS, though hopefully I will be one come next month, but the guys I have seen who are just out of high school, and in the same position as me, they have no respect for authority these days. Though I must say, as an E-3 in my line of work, I do have the ability to bitch slap some NCO's. Mainly cause they sign a re-enlistment for e-5, but also for the fact of the warfare pin I have that they don't. Now don't get me wrong, as long as anyone over me is qualified I DO show them the respect they deserve( i'm not a young punk), just the nubs lol.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:18 AM
12 Second Club

The army was alright... I did 6 years active infantry/MP. The navy reserve offered me more bonus money than the army reserves so I switched over. I had to drop one rank to E-5 but oh well. Its alright. I probably wont re-up. Navy is way more laid back and I havent deployed yet. I did 28 months in Iraq over 2 tours in the army and got tired of not seeing my family so the navy reserves is a nice change of tempo

Quick Reply: Poll time. How many of you like being in the Military?