Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

What to say to a guy like this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

thats just a law on decorations and medals right? not wearing the uniform?

that isn't exactly in plain english ahah
Old 10-10-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why would any one give a rats *** how a civilian is wearing old uniforms? As long as they are not trying to use a uniform to gain something illegally it shouldnt matter.

If it is a solier and you know it like the guy posted about the dog tags why not just correct him and tell him he is wrong. Instead of making an *** outta both of you, now that guy is going to have a negative impression on higher ranks.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

So were you home on Hrap? I would guess that you just finished ait if so. Regardless of wether you were a new soldier or a 20+ year soldier how do you have the right to run after someone and tell them what to do. You said he didnt look like a soldier after you caught up so you should have just left it alone. I dont think running your mouth to civilians is going to get you very far. Just because you are in the military that doesnt give you any special rights or make you some sort of badass. Its a shame because I see this kinda attitude all the time from soldiers thinking they are something special over civilians.

Originally Posted by Hibs
i hate the people who dress up in their civilians then wear their dog tags outside of their shirt like some fashion. adding the acu top to that would be even worse, if it was me, i probably woulda said something.

i once got into a kid with something similar. i was just home on recruiters assistance for two weeks, so i was out at the local malls, in uniform, etc. anyways i had gone to the gas station and was just walking out, i see some kid, looked like maybe 17? walking down the sidewalk wearing full ACU's, boots, etc. but he had no cover on, and he had his collar popped and velcro'ed tight around his next. name tapes and US ARMY on, with 1st cav unit patches each arm. i was like, WTF? i sat there for a minute contemplating what i just saw as the kid walked down the sidewalk. i then ran up to him, asked him hey did you lose your cover? as i got closer i noticed the kid had a goatee and clearly not the typical looking service member. the kid started um uh uh stuttering. then i asked to see his ID. he pulls out a set of dog tags. i said no, your ID, not your dog tags. again, the kid was like uh uh uh... then i ask him what unit you in? he then lifts his arm a little and says "1st cav" as if i didn't see the patch on his shoulder. i ask him, who's your commander? he had nothing but uh uh uh uh.... i then told him i know you're lying, you're not a soldier. i then made him take his acu top off and fold it up. i told him not to put it on again, and to take his *** home right now and give the uniform back to whom it belongs to. the whole time he was like, "yes sir yes sir".

It's one thing to just have an acu top on in trying to "style" it. this kid had the entire uniform on, and was straight trying to impersonate someone.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99z28monster
So were you home on Hrap? I would guess that you just finished ait if so. Regardless of wether you were a new soldier or a 20+ year soldier how do you have the right to run after someone and tell them what to do. You said he didnt look like a soldier after you caught up so you should have just left it alone. I dont think running your mouth to civilians is going to get you very far. Just because you are in the military that doesnt give you any special rights or make you some sort of badass. Its a shame because I see this kinda attitude all the time from soldiers thinking they are something special over civilians.
That private was lucky he didnt get beat up, lol. You dont go out running around as an E2 on HRAP trying to tell people who arent even in the military what to do, lol.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Its a shame because I see this kinda attitude all the time from soldiers thinking they are something special over civilians.
We aren't. Damn it. Just kidding I think its funny how some service members think they are better than anyone else because they wear a uniform. It makes them look like ******** and takes away fom the image of all the services.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:28 AM
Staging Lane

i agree not worth the effort to say anything to them but here is the real scoop

10 USC Sec. 771 01/03/2007

-EXPCITE-
TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES
Subtitle A - General Military Law
PART II - PERSONNEL
CHAPTER 45 - THE UNIFORM

-HEAD-
Sec. 771. Unauthorized wearing prohibited

-STATUTE-
Except as otherwise provided by law, no person except a member of
the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, as the case may be, may
wear -
(1) the uniform, or a distinctive part of the uniform, of the
Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps; or
(2) a uniform any part of which is similar to a distinctive
part of the uniform of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine
Corps.

-SOURCE-
(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 34.)

-MISC1-
Old 10-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by brad8266
That private was lucky he didnt get beat up, lol. You dont go out running around as an E2 on HRAP trying to tell people who arent even in the military what to do, lol.
why does it matter what rank i am? i saw someone clearly impersonating a soldier, and i felt like i couldn't just let them go on doing whatever it is they were doing. what if this guy had planned to walk into a gas station and hold the place up? then it would be all over the news about how some Army soldier held up a gas station. ya, that gives us all a great name.

I don't think being in the military gives me any special rights. but i do think we, in the military, should live by the highest values. That means if you see someone doing something wrong, have the ***** to do something about it. When i originally approached this kid, it was to help him out. I saw he didn't have his cover, so i was going to offer him a ride that way he wasn't just walking around out of uniform. Then after talking to him and finding out he wasn't a soldier, i felt like it was my duty to say something about it.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

ya, because a private doesn't know anything and has no right to say anything. i think i've seen more shitbag NCO's then i have privates at my current duty station.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

i think i've seen more shitbag NCO's then i have privates at my current duty station.
Thats what all privates say. That statement has been around forever I think. They always know more and are better soldiers than most of the offciers and NCO's over them.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Thats what all privates say. That statement has been around forever I think. They always know more and are better soldiers than most of the offciers and NCO's over them.
Whatever. You're taking what i said out of context. I never said i know more or am better then anyone. Most NCO's and officers I know are fine examples of proper leadership. I just hate those NCO's who think that every private is a know nothing shitbag. I'm not some 17year old punk who just joined the army and has only been in 6months. While i agree there is some privates who are shitbags, there are plenty who are squared away. And you shouldn't judge one's integrity and values based on their rank.

It's funny though i see plenty of NCO's who think like you. Talk nothing but **** to E-4 and bellow, and don't respect them. It's ok to take an E-2, give him a gun, and throw him straight into Iraq, but it's not ok to give him the common courtesy and respect that every soldier deserves. ya, that makes sense.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02HawkTA#195
i agree not worth the effort to say anything to them but here is the real scoop

10 USC Sec. 771 01/03/2007

-EXPCITE-
TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES
Subtitle A - General Military Law
PART II - PERSONNEL
CHAPTER 45 - THE UNIFORM

-HEAD-
Sec. 771. Unauthorized wearing prohibited

-STATUTE-
Except as otherwise provided by law, no person except a member of
the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, as the case may be, may
wear -
(1) the uniform, or a distinctive part of the uniform, of the
Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps; or
(2) a uniform any part of which is similar to a distinctive
part of the uniform of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine
Corps.

-SOURCE-
(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 34.)

-MISC1-
I retired 3 years ago, law or not, I wear my BDU tops around. I take pride in the fact that I served and don't see anything wrong with it.. Now I would never put my full uniform on and go wandering around, but just the top, I don't see the big deal..
Old 10-11-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whatever. You're taking what i said out of context. I never said i know more or am better then anyone. Most NCO's and officers I know are fine examples of proper leadership. I just hate those NCO's who think that every private is a know nothing shitbag. I'm not some 17year old punk who just joined the army and has only been in 6months. While i agree there is some privates who are shitbags, there are plenty who are squared away. And you shouldn't judge one's integrity and values based on their rank.

It's funny though i see plenty of NCO's who think like you. Talk nothing but **** to E-4 and bellow, and don't respect them. It's ok to take an E-2, give him a gun, and throw him straight into Iraq, but it's not ok to give him the common courtesy and respect that every soldier deserves. ya, that makes sense.
I'm not sure how long you've been in man, but it is all part of the game. Your NCO's and SNCO's are going to **** on you regardless of who you are when you are a junior person. Yes , we in the military show have a higher sense of professionalism and pride, but that doesn't mean you can go around and berate someone just cause they are fucked up. Out of curiosity, would you recognize someone like myself in the Navy if we were all fucked up? If so would you be able to properly correct me? Cause I can tell you that all the branches have there different little quirks about uniform reg's. Plus, if you were to come up to me, being a lower rank than me, and just started going off on me, I would light your *** up.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

where did i say that i went to someone higher rank then me and went off of them? i ran into someone clearly impersonating a soldier, and i made them take the uniform off, before they went and did something stupid. that has absolutely nothing to do with my rank. if you think that's wrong, that's cool, everyone has the right to their opinion. but as a few have posted, what this kid was doing is clearly in violation of THE LAW, so you can give me all the **** you want, i'm just a dumb private, i should know my place, blah blah blah. I feel like i was in the right, and I would do it again if the situation came up. God forbid even a lowly private can do something right.

In answer to your question, i probably would notice if your uniform was jacked up. I spent 23weeks in AIT in a joint service environment. My classmates were air force, navy, marines, army, and even a coasty. My current duty station I only work with only one other army. My other co-workers are air force, navy, and civilians. Lastly, I serve on the joint service color guard. I'm quite familiar with most of the services uniform. I wouldn't come up and "berate" you, but if i saw something that wasn't right, i would most certainly let you know. It's a courtesy thing. I know if I was walking around jacked up, i would want someone to give me the heads up. Sometimes with these damn velcro uniforms it's easy to put patches on wrong, leave one off, etc. But the scenario you posted has nothing to do with the situation I presented.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never said anything wrong with talking to a civilian scooter. BUT, you need to learn tact. That is why I brought up rank. And from what I gathered you did berate this kid. Only reason I asked if you would recognize if my uniform had an issues is because some people can't do that for other branches, that is all.

and yes this scenario does have merit. I have done the same thing you did many times, and it turns out the same way, only tohave that person to be ******* with me and then the **** hits the fan. but whatever, do as you please. Just be prepared when that "civilian" happens to be a superior. Good day
Old 10-12-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

If it is a solier and you know it like the guy posted about the dog tags why not just correct him and tell him he is wrong. Instead of making an *** outta both of you, now that guy is going to have a negative impression on higher ranks.
because he's been corrected before, he thinks it scores him chicks
Old 10-12-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by OIF1VET
I retired 3 years ago, law or not, I wear my BDU tops around. I take pride in the fact that I served and don't see anything wrong with it.. Now I would never put my full uniform on and go wandering around, but just the top, I don't see the big deal..
and you've served, thats the difference
Old 10-12-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Whatever. You're taking what i said out of context. I never said i know more or am better then anyone. Most NCO's and officers I know are fine examples of proper leadership.
i think i've seen more shitbag NCO's then i have privates at my current duty station.
And how did I take your own words out of context? On one hand you say you see more shitbag NCO's at your station then you try to recover by saying most NCO's and officers are fine examples of leadership. We which is it then, make up your mind?

I just hate those NCO's who think that every private is a know nothing shitbag. I'm not some 17year old punk who just joined the army and has only been in 6months. While i agree there is some privates who are shitbags, there are plenty who are squared away. And you shouldn't judge one's integrity and values based on their rank.

It's funny though i see plenty of NCO's who think like you. Talk nothing but **** to E-4 and bellow, and don't respect them. It's ok to take an E-2, give him a gun, and throw him straight into Iraq, but it's not ok to give him the common courtesy and respect that every soldier deserves. ya, that makes sense. :eyes.
Im judging you based on your actions you told us about and then your inconsistent view on the NCO's and officers above you. Good job sticking your foot in your mouth, you cant have it both ways.

Think like me?? You have never worked for me, I treat everyone I work with with the utmost respect to include even E1's. I never berate or talk **** to anybody or treat them unfailry based on their rank. My people enjoy working for me. I treat them accordingly to the way they act.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:05 PM
NKAWTG...N

i'm pretty sure i've seen a cadet with a single round circle.
That's Army Cadet 2nd Lt.

Here is the entire Army cadet chart:

Old 10-12-2008, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by socmguy
WTF are ppl thinking when they do **** like that? I saw the trash man wearing an old MOPP suit top in my neighborhood once. Yes, the one with the three buttons on the bottom of the back.
I don't blame him if it was cold out. That was like the only warm thing the army issued us
Old 10-12-2008, 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

I used to think the same thing when I was a private lol... I knew how to keep my mouth shut though.

Sad thing is that is why the military is getting soft now. It has turned into the "why" army. I got told by a Colonel that I could not have my soldier do Push-Ups for corrective training because it was too hot out... Part of the reason I ETS'ed

Quick Reply: What to say to a guy like this?