Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Revisit: The Real Silent Hill (Centralia, PA - Underground Mine Fire) with Our Jeeps

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Revisit: The Real Silent Hill (Centralia, PA - Underground Mine Fire) with Our Jeeps

So this has was my third trip to the town of Centralia, PA. For those who don't know, the town has a mine fire that's been burning for more than 40 years. The town is located in the heart of the Pennsylvania Anthracite Coal Region. This coal is the longest burning, most sought after coal in the world. The fire was said to have begun when a fire in the town dump jumped to an exposed coal vein. The rest is all history. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania & here: http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/centralia.htm

My friend Sharon rode along with me. My buddy/co-worker Tim and his g/f took his Jeep. You'll prob. recognize his Jeep a little bit as it's from the Fall '08 Quadratec Cherokee catalog. He's removed some of the parts, though.

The weather as 62* with heavy rain, thunder, lightning, and wind gusts in excess of 30 MPH. It made for some hard shots. I did have plastic rain protection for the camera, so that was a plus. I did take a few HDR's, without a tripod, as well as "normal" photos. No PP aside from Photomatix on the HDR's.

Nikon D70s, kit 18-70:

HDR's:

I'll be investigating another area of Centralia in December. I can't wait!

Some additional info:

"Writer Roger Avary had said that as a boy, his father, who was a mining engineer, used to tell him stories about the town of Centralia, Pennsylvania, United States where coal deposits from the local mine caught fire and released toxic gases into the town, as well as creating sinkholes when the abandoned mineshafts and coal seams began to collapse. This forced the majority of inhabitants to evacuate forever. Avary was fascinated since childhood by the idea that fires underneath the town would be burning for such a long time and the story of Centralia was used as the basis for the township of Silent Hill.[4] When the script was finished, a studio memo was sent to Gans and Avary that voiced concerns about the lack of a male presence in the film, since the original story contained a nearly all female cast. Gans and Avary added Christopher's character (named after Gans) and subplot and the script was approved."
&
"The 'real' Silent Hill
Main article: Centralia, Pennsylvania

Writer Roger Avary states about Silent Hill that "the base idea was that this is not a haunted house, it's a haunted town, y'know, separate from our reality, but it also exists within our reality. So you effectively become a ghost during your time there. And it's a very terrifying emotion, that you are a ghost of yourself. Frankly I think it's a theme that's followed me."'

In researching the different elements of Silent Hill, screen writer Roger Avary was inspired when he heard of Centralia, Pennsylvania, and decided to base the film on it. The population of the town has dwindled from over 1,000 residents in 1981 to 12 in 2005[25] and 9 in 2007,[26] as a result of a 46-year-old mine fire burning beneath the borough.

In 1962, an exposed vein of coal ignited, due to the standard policy of burning the garbage on a weekly basis in the borough landfill. Attempts to extinguish the fire were unsuccessful, and it continued to burn throughout the 1960s and 1970s. Adverse health effects were reported by several people due to the carbon monoxide produced.

In 1984, Congress allocated more than $42 million for relocation efforts. Most of the residents accepted buyout offers and moved. Today a handful of occupied homes remain in Centralia. Most of the buildings have been razed, and at casual glance the area now appears to be a meadow with several paved streets through it, and some areas are being filled with new-growth forest."
Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

pretty nice pics, would be pretty fun to go there I think
Old 10-28-2008, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Great pics.

I have wanted to check that place out for years now.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Looks amazing, and somewhat eery at the same time! I love your all's Jeeps. They aren't overdone like most of the ones I see.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Centralia is about 20 min from my house. I ride 4wheeler there every now and again. IMO the surrounding area around Centralia is more interesting. Very nice pics BTW.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

that town looks scary! something very eery about it. you can almost tell its haunted lol.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sweet pictures, and also the story seems interesting. Too bad its wayyy to far for me to visit.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

More pics of blond girl plz? kthnx
Old 10-28-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jmagliola
More pics of blond girl plz? kthnx
No more photos of her on purpose. I will never hang out with her again. She is absolutely psychotic. Like she needs to be in a mental institution. I almost made her walk home... and it's a 40 min drive.

Long story short.. she's 32, has a kid, and acts like she is 8. Ever seen that episode of South Park where Mr. Jefferson moves to town with his kid (Supposed to be Michael Jackson and kid). How he acts on that episode is how she acts in real life. F*** that!
Old 10-28-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

wow i wanna be there wow ... those are sick pictures of scary place DAMN!

if you have more please post them up
Old 10-28-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bad95killer
wow i wanna be there wow ... those are sick pictures of scary place DAMN!

if you have more please post them up
I've been there 3 times so far and will be going back late December/early January.

Here are my albums from the 3 times I've been:

December 2007:
http://pafirefighter11.smugmug.com/g.../4007290_DZQ8U

August 2008:
http://pafirefighter11.smugmug.com/g.../5618046_Hofqi

October 2008:
http://pafirefighter11.smugmug.com/g.../6368585_xk6nH
Old 10-28-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Funny I was just on youtube yesterday looking at all that stuff. Nice pics
Old 10-28-2008, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
No more photos of her on purpose. I will never hang out with her again. She is absolutely psychotic. Like she needs to be in a mental institution. I almost made her walk home... and it's a 40 min drive.

Long story short.. she's 32, has a kid, and acts like she is 8. Ever seen that episode of South Park where Mr. Jefferson moves to town with his kid (Supposed to be Michael Jackson and kid). How he acts on that episode is how she acts in real life. F*** that!
Doh sorry to hear that brotha
Old 10-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Teching In

That Last Pic Looks Like The Scene From The Original Exorcist when The Priest Goes Out The Window!!LOL Does it Not?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
I did take a few HDR's, without a tripod
How is this done?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pennsylvania is beautiful in the summer and absolutely horrid the other 9 months out of the year.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

looks like fun, makes me miss my bronco. Sweet pics too, love how they come out everytime you go
Old 10-29-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great pictures. ive been past there before but never really went in. that whole area is just crazy.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

Thats creepy after seeing the movie. Pretty cool though.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks so much for the comments everyone! I love hearing critiques on how to improve my images. It's kind of the reason I keep going out and taking more. I want to get better!

I love PA. We have 4 seasons, unlike most area's. Beautiful spring, nice hot summer weather, crisp fall, and a cold, snowy winter. I love it. Not to mention my area is 2 hours from the mountains, NYC, and DC, and 1.5 hours to the shore.

Anyway, Centralia is worth visiting if you're within a few hours. It's a 2 hour trip each way for me, right through Yuengling Brewery territory. The neighboring town of Ashland has a coal mine tour and a steam locomotive ride (above ground) for those interested. It's all pretty neat! They also sell coal and other stones in the gift shop. Have some friends who've been naughty this year? Great gifts!

Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
How is this done?
Same as an HDR on a tripod. You just have to have a very steady hand!

Last edited by HibachiZ28; 10-29-2008 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Revisit: The Real Silent Hill (Centralia, PA - Underground Mine Fire) with Our Jeeps